Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLII - The answer to life, the universe, and everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Neither did Kurri though!

But if he was coming out Markov is not a dead cert inclusion. Zalapski is probably next drop... and Mantha, Huber and Modry all up with Markov in terms of ability at peak.

True. Maybe yank Kurri as well. :)

I wasn't fully campaigning for Markov, hence the ?

I never realized just how many defensemen we've had fir the criteria.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
True. Maybe yank Kurri as well. :)

I wasn't fully campaigning for Markov, hence the ?

I never realized just how many defensemen we've had fir the criteria.

I think if Kurri comes out Mike York is probably at next drop...

and yep, crazy how many "once upon a time great defensemen" the Flyers brought in as basically rentals.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
"The Flyers have a 2-on-1 but it's with Mike York," Jim Jackson. Urban legend or not, that was the GDT post of that season.

Must have had one of the quicker declines in recent memory...

I remember him being very poor with the Flyers.

But age 22-28 was a consistent ~55 point forward who played heavy minutes, good PKer.

Started 06-07 as a solid top 6 forward in his prime... 2 years later out of the league at 30.

Happened to a lot of guys who had a high skill level but mediocre or worse skating post-lockout though...

Heck, if Jason Allison was born ~7-8 years earlier he might be a guy who is mentioned as a potential Hall of Famer... unbelievable as that might seem...

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Must have had one of the quicker declines in recent memory...

I remember him being very poor with the Flyers.

But age 22-28 was a consistent ~55 point forward who played heavy minutes, good PKer.

Started 06-07 as a solid top 6 forward in his prime... 2 years later out of the league at 30.

Happened to a lot of guys who had a high skill level but mediocre or worse skating post-lockout though...

Heck, if Jason Allison was born ~7-8 years earlier he might be a guy who is mentioned as a potential Hall of Famer... unbelievable as that might seem...

It was likely a combination of erosion of skill at the NHL level, playing in an unfamiliar environment for all (a bad Flyers' team) and the reality of the situation. I seem to recall an image of him at the Wives' Carnival where he looked dejected.

Just another matter, regarding Kurri. I am sure you know the details but to emphasize a point, Kurri left the Oilers to play overseas. He was under contract to them at the NHL level. He would only return to the NHL if he could play with Gretzky, now of the Kings. The Oilers were reluctant to trade both players to the Kings. The Flyers filled that role through a paper deal. There was no chance he would play for the Flyers nor was it truly expected.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I wonder if other NCAA drafted (or FA) will sign more deals like this moving forward:

6FDB8148-4FF9-4209-83E7-22F30C934DAB.jpeg

Reactions: TheKingPin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I mean... unless they have a different coaching staff and philosophy they could have the 2017 team back together and would still struggle to medal.

Sandelin isn’t coming back for next year fortunately. Not sure about the rest of the staff though.

Off hand I want to say it’s Providence’s HC that is slated to be the HC next year. Hopefully he’s not as rigid as Sandelin was in bringing the college game/philosophy to that level.

Reactions: Appleyard

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Hayes on a recent Chiclets podcast talking about Provorov. "Mark my words, he's winning a Norris one day". Talked about his workout regimen in the summer, leaves at 4:30am, comes back home for dinner, works out after dinner. Has a stretching coach, a biking coach, an everything coach. "Any coach you can imagine he's got". Also mention he inhales ice cream like no one that he's ever seen

Also talking about Hart and how he's super sheltered, almost, growing up in rural Edmonton. He locked himself out of his apartment one night with the oven on, burnt the f*** out of what he was cooking. Roasted him about bringing up some Edmonton pizza place when the team was talking about kickass pizza places in Philly and NYC lol

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The only thing I remember about Mike York is that wives carnival picture of him and Mike Knuble. Knuble was grinning ear to ear despite having a busted face from that awful collision with Shanahan. Mike York had that why the f*** am I here look on his face.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hayes on a recent Chiclets podcast talking about Provorov. "Mark my words, he's winning a Norris one day". Talked about his workout regimen in the summer, leaves at 4:30am, comes back home for dinner, works out after dinner. Has a stretching coach, a biking coach, an everything coach. "Any coach you can imagine he's got". Also mention he inhales ice cream like no one that he's ever seen

Also talking about Hart and how he's super sheltered, almost, growing up in rural Edmonton. He locked himself out of his apartment one night with the oven on, burnt the f*** out of what he was cooking. Roasted him about bringing up some Edmonton pizza place when the team was talking about kickass pizza places in Philly and NYC lol

The Hart story was pretty damn funny... especially the way he told it.

Came to practice yacking up black stuff and everyone worried... because his white apartment walls had been turned black by the oven being on and burning his food to crap while he was on the balcony and had to call the police as it was the middle of the night... and he was happy to be on a road trip after because his apartment still stank!

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

The pizza place Hart was talking up was Boston Pizza, which probably compares to a Domino's lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad