Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLII - The answer to life, the universe, and everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
F U Jacobs, you steaming slushpile of unformed excrement.

Massachusettes Attorney General Maura Heaely calls on Bruins owner to compensate employees - TSN.ca

Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey is calling on Boston Bruins parent company Delaware North, owned by Bruins principal owner Jeremy Jacobs to compensate their part-time employees while the NHL is on pause.

"I just want them to act, I just want them to step up and do something,” Healy told the Boston Herald on Friday. “Do something for their workers. Every other team has said they are going to provide financial support for hourly workers who have been hurt by this, and that runs the range of paying their salaries or paying for their living expenses. … I just want them to act now.”

The Bruins are the only NHL team remaining that have yet to announce any plan to compensate employees affected by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Some Bruins players have contributed to a GoFundMe campaign that was set up for workers affected by the pause in the NHL season.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Watching last year’s outdoor game against the Pens, and was wondering how good (stat-wise) would Malkin have been on another team away from Sid?
Malkin is real good, but I believe he has benefited from having Sid on his team allowing weaker matchups for himself,

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Watching last year’s outdoor game against the Pens, and was wondering how good (stat-wise) would Malkin have been on another team away from Sid?
Malkin is real good, but I believe he has benefited from having Sid on his team allowing weaker matchups for himself,
I might be wrong he but isn’t his production better when Sid is out of the lineup?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Messier is probably the closest historic comp to Malkin, as a player and situation. Messier had his best statistical year without Gretzky, and his first year with the Rangers is as good as any of Mess' "with Gretzky" seasons (107 points), and he was 31. I do think that Messier getting more minutes after Gretzky got traded was a big part of it.

On the other hand, Bernie Nicholls benefited enormously from taking 2nd-line shifts behind Gretzky in LA.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Messier is probably the closest historic comp to Malkin, as a player and situation. Messier had his best statistical year without Gretzky, and his first year with the Rangers is as good as any of Mess' "with Gretzky" seasons (107 points), and he was 31. I do think that Messier getting more minutes after Gretzky got traded was a big part of it.

On the other hand, Bernie Nicholls benefited enormously from taking 2nd-line shifts behind Gretzky in LA.
Again I know Malkin is one of the top centers in the league year in a year out, I guess I'm more curious to how he'd play on a different team where he was the clear cut #1 center, my ultimate hypothesis is he would step right in and dominate away from Sid in a "let me show the world how good I am" type attitude

Reactions: Tripod

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Watched flyers bruins game 7 replay. What a night. Effen Pronger was just a beast. Cool as cucumber, big, strong and smart.

gagne was just an all around solid player.
Richards was everywhere. Shame he faded like he did.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Watched flyers bruins game 7 replay. What a night. Effen Pronger was just a beast. Cool as cucumber, big, strong and smart.

gagne was just an all around solid player.
Richards was everywhere. Shame he faded like he did.
Pronger was amazing. He just kept going to new teams and taking them to the finals. Over and over and over.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
My god, I miss Flyers so much.

I have been watching some videos on YT (including Flyers OT winners etc..)... and I really believe that we can do deep run this year! My god, why?! I miss you guyyyys

So, at least I've been writing analytics on Flyers players from this season on czech Flyers website.

I wrote 4 until now (Hart, Hayes, Hagg, Konecny). And LOL, Hagg is incredible bad player, LOL. One of the worst in NHL without any doubt. :D And he is FIRST in PDO. :D:popcorn:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My god, I miss Flyers so much.

I have been watching some videos on YT (including Flyers OT winners etc..)... and I really believe that we can do deep run this year! My god, why?! I miss you guyyyys

So, at least I've been writing analytics on Flyers players from this season on czech Flyers website.

I wrote 4 until now (Hart, Hayes, Hagg, Konecny). And LOL, Hagg is incredible bad player, LOL. One of the worst in NHL without any doubt. :D And he is FIRST in PDO. :D:popcorn:

Why are people surprised when the #6 defenseman or the #11/12 forward is one of the worst players in the league?

I mean there's a reason they're on the bottom of the roster, they're beating out AHL players and below replacement level players unless the team has so much depth that they have above replacement players all the way down (like Turtles).

And only a few teams can have that kind of depth, by definition of "replacement player."
Hopefully, the Flyers can be one of those teams next year (and it took 4-5 years of top ten prospect classes to get there).

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Why are people surprised when the #6 defenseman or the #11/12 forward is one of the worst players in the league?

I mean there's a reason they're on the bottom of the roster, they're beating out AHL players and below replacement level players unless the team has so much depth that they have above replacement players all the way down (like Turtles).

And only a few teams can have that kind of depth, by definition of "replacement player."
Hopefully, the Flyers can be one of those teams next year (and it took 4-5 years of top ten prospect classes to get there).
Don't worry even with whoever replaces the bottom of the roster guys, those who replace them will become the new targets.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
In the event people were wondering what team has finished at the bottom of the barrel the most since the 67-68 season, here is a chart I made. Any ties were broken by the NHL official standings rules at the season they occurred.
upload_2020-3-24_16-8-26.png

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He was traded there from Buffalo in 2014 at the deadline with (I think) Steve Ott and the Blues amounted to nothing. He then signed with Vancouver in the offseason.

So really he was there like two dozen games tops.

For a rental goalie and Ott, the Blues traded our old pal Chris Stewart (who was still a middle 6 guy), the 25th overall in the best ever 2015 1st round, a 3rd rounder, and Halak.

For a rental goalie and Steve Ott. Ryan Miller still had some Buffalo finger in the dam prestige, but how often do you see rental goalies for that much? Goodness.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
For a rental goalie and Ott, the Blues traded our old pal Chris Stewart (who was still a middle 6 guy), the 25th overall in the best ever 2015 1st round, a 3rd rounder, and Halak.

For a rental goalie and Steve Ott. Ryan Miller still had some Buffalo finger in the dam prestige, but how often do you see rental goalies for that much? Goodness.

It was a massive overpay by a team that wasn't as good as they thought and Miller was not a good fit into their system. I think Elliott actually outplayed him.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
That was a pretty good, well balanced Blues team in 2014. They had Halak and Elliott between the pipes and, if I remember correctly, they were hoping Miller would be more than a rental. Elliott and Halak both had great years and Miller was pretty pedestrian in St. Louis. Miller was their goalie for their first round series loss in those playoffs, though.

After Miller signed with Vancouver, he made it quite clear that he was always heading the west coast via free agency because his wife is an actor.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

The defence especially is crazy good... all eight were #1s at their best. 7/8 finished top 15 in Norris voting at least once.

Almost, but not quite, the deadline acquisition team.

Hamhuis never suited up for a single game for us. Danny Markov instead?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Almost, but not quite, the deadline acquisition team.

Hamhuis never suited up for a single game for us. Danny Markov instead?

Neither did Kurri though!

But if he was coming out Markov is not a dead cert inclusion. Zalapski is probably next drop... and Mantha, Huber and Modry all up with Markov in terms of ability at peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad