Miscellaneous NHL Talk V10.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I liked this post in the Oilers thread where they say they need forwards:

*Drafts forwards 10th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 4th, 22nd overall in last 10 years*

*Has no forwards*

How sad is that, folks?
Of all these forwards they picked the only top line players left are McDavid and Draisaitl. Nuge is what he is at this point, a 2nd line player at best. Hall is gone. Yakupov is gone. Eberle is gone. Paajarvi is gone. Puljujarvi is a bust.

Yeah, it's pretty sad.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Problem is Edmonton simply can't find serviceable bodies later in the draft.
Draft picks outside the first round who have played 200+ games:
Tobias Reider - #114-2011
Aaron Lander - #40-2009
Chris Vandervelde - #95-2005

IMG_0272.GIF

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Of all these forwards they picked the only top line players left are McDavid and Draisaitl. Nuge is what he is at this point, a 2nd line player at best. Hall is gone. Yakupov is gone. Eberle is gone. Paajarvi is gone. Puljujarvi is a bust.

Yeah, it's pretty sad.

They took Paajarvi 1 pick ahead of Ryan Ellis.
They could have traded down from RNH and taken any number of superior players, or they could have traded down to take Larsson, which would have saved them the ignominy of trading Hall for him.
2012 draft (Yakupov) was a disaster, I'll give them a pass.
Puljujarvi could have been Tkachuk or Keller.

Hall for Larsson is obviously a disaster. Turning Eberle into Strome into Spooner is also a disaster.

It really would have been hard to do worse given the fact that got McDavid and Draisatl in the middle of this.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017

Yeah, it's pretty sad.
No.. sad is when you try to trade lucic... Because you traded for him 2 years earlier.. lucic and Manning on the same team is just depressing .

That group needs MacDonald.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They took Paajarvi 1 pick ahead of Ryan Ellis.
They could have traded down from RNH and taken any number of superior players, or they could have traded down to take Larsson, which would have saved them the ignominy of trading Hall for him.
2012 draft (Yakupov) was a disaster, I'll give them a pass.
Puljujarvi could have been Tkachuk or Keller.

Hall for Larsson is obviously a disaster. Turning Eberle into Strome into Spooner is also a disaster.

It really would have been hard to do worse given the fact that got McDavid and Draisatl in the middle of this.

Chia's ability to always make the team steadily worse with trades is something else. You'd think he'd accidentally win a trade at some point. Building around McDavid should be easy-mode GMing.

Edmonton is a farm team for the rest of the NHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Imagine that Edmonton offense if they kept Hall and Eberle, didnt sign Lucic, and drafted Tkachuk over Puljujarvi?

Tkachuk - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - Draisaitl - Whoever
Whoever - RNH - Whoever

That's a Cup contending forward core.

Also, Jarmo K doesn't get enough credit for drafting Dubois against consensus over Puljujarvi.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Let us not forget that Edmonton is also in a cap crunch LMFAO.

Its truly baffling that a team with arguably the worst depth in the league is in a cap crunch lol.

Makes me wonder if we could pry Draisaitl and his big contract for a few younger assets to give them cap relief.

Reactions: BernieParent

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I'm not sure if a team has created more change in the league than Boston in the last 14 years due to high flux of talent--Thornton, Kessel, Seguin, Hamilton, Lucic all traded. How they've managed to not suck during that span is almost a miracle.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
How much of a cap crunch do the Oilers really have? Sekera's LTIR contract is counted on CapFriendly, which gives the appearance that the Oilers are over their cap right now.

Chiarelli is doing the same bad stuff with cap/asset management that got him fired from Boston.I’d honestly try to pry Yamamoto out of him over Puljujarvi in a Simmonds trade.

Chiarelli can't seriously be interested in Simmonds, right??

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But don't forget: if you tank you are pure evil and worse than Hitler and destroying the sport and I hope you fail. Except if you are the Leafs, in which case you are brilliant and worthy of endless praise!
Well we’re not even tanking, we just suck this year, so even that doesn’t make sense if that’s what’s he’s mad about.

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
Neutral fan her but I was wondering what’s causing gostisbehere to be so horrible fantasy wise, I had high hopes and kinda reached on him and I was wondering what the people who watch him the most think of his performance?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Neutral fan her but I was wondering what’s causing gostisbehere to be so horrible fantasy wise, I had high hopes and kinda reached on him and I was wondering what the people who watch him the most think of his performance?

He has struggled as have other players. His shots from the point on PPs miss the net, he has made bad decisions, including passing, in the neutral and D zones. Hopefully he can hit the rest button and this funk it is an aberration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad