Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
The problem will be going down the line. How much are Coots, Patrick, Provorov, Konecny and the like going to want and get when their deals expire? Poof, there goes the cap space.
The flip side is that if they eat all of the cap space, well that means they have all lived up to their potentials and deserve the raise.
I'll take that.

I'd be shocked if any of those players next deals are in the 8 million range (cept for Coots). With Ghost existing and preventing Provorov from being on PP1, that will keep Provy's point totals lower than they should be and that'll save us some money when the time comes to use it as leverage.

If Ghost didn't exist, Provy would be a 55pt+ dman ATM and we'd be looking down the barrel of an 8 x 8 million contract. I expect Provorov's next contract to be in the neighborhood of Seth Jones'.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov still wouldn't be on PP1, he just doesn't have the instincts to be a PP QB.

Where he could score a lot is as a shooter on the PP, he's learning to attack the net 5x5 and I think that can carry over to the PP, he really is dangerous in that area between the face off circles, he's stronger than he looks and has a nice shot and a good feel for creating separation.

I think Provorov may end up a 20 goal scorer on a regular basis, but he should be paired with Ghost b/c he needs a playmaker on offense, on defense he provides the "muscle" that Ghost lacks.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Provorov still wouldn't be on PP1, he just doesn't have the instincts to be a PP QB.
Nah he'd 100% be on PP1, he just obv wouldn't do the job as well as Ghost does.
Provy on PP1 is an easy 15 point to his totals just thru attrition. Him not being on PP1 is going to end up saving us a couple million

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I guess you guys didn't see enough hapless flailing at the line on keep in attempts to reach the conclusion that Provorov isn't a fit on PP1.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think Provorov may end up a 20 goal scorer on a regular basis.

20 on a regular basis?! Defensemen with 1 or more 18+ Goal seasons in the last 3 years:

Burns (29, 27), OEL (21), Giordano (21), Weber (20), Byfuglien (19)

The only one of those that did it with less than 7 PP Goals was Byfuglien. Weber needed 14(!!) and OEL needed 12.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That is insane is it not ???
It's the Ryan Johansen deal...but yup...8 million for 60ish point guys. I prefer that our guys can touch the 80+ once in awhile!

If there is a market where Mason has value and isn't a cap dump, why isn't Winnipeg trading with them instead of giving away Armia? I guess Montreal could be taking back another bad contract in exchange for Mason that fits a need?
Jets wanted to remove all the cap hit, and Armia was the cost. Not to mention, Armia was a RFA so maybe he was asking for more than the Jets wanted to give.

Montreal can retain half, then trade Mason for a pick like a 4th-5th.

It's why having a deep prospect pool is an asset. You can "buy" your way out of mistakes. Armia is a good bottom 6 player, but the Jets have lots of guys that can step in to replace him from their deep pool.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Never said I wanted to break that link. I just bet that if Provorov had some more time, he'd be fine on PP1

Isn't it annoying when someone puts words in your mouth?

Again, there's no point in fitting Provorov on PP1 when the Flyers have more capable players there or waiting to be there.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I never wrote that it would be a great idea to put Provorov on PP1 on a permanent basis.

All I suggested is that Provorov would be on PP1 and would have 15 more points added to his total just thru attrition by being the defacto PPQB IF Ghost didn't exist. Is that an unreasonable suggestion?

Him not being on PP1 is going to cost him a Norris down the line, but it'll also save us a bunch of money because that will be something that should be used against him come contract time.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Mason already bought out
Tough last 12-months for him
Tough as far as concussions go...had 2 of them.

But he just made 4.1 million for playing 13 games AND now gets 1.367 million the next 2 years in a buyout.

Not so bad.....6.7 million for 13 games.

Watch a team like Chicago pick him up and he have a good year.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Whens the CBA run out? LA certainly appears to be banking on some major contract roll backs

Jeff Carter would be a great trade acquisition, obviously in the absence of an overpayment. I wonder if Alex Martinez could be available on the cheap. Two-way RD (though shoots left) $4 million for 3 years.

Hagg + assets for the Flyers West?

Reactions: Curufinwe

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tough as far as concussions go...had 2 of them.

But he just made 4.1 million for playing 13 games AND now gets 1.367 million the next 2 years in a buyout.

Not so bad.....6.7 million for 13 games.

Watch a team like Chicago pick him up and he have a good year.

i have no idea where he could end up. if anderson is traded in could see him in ottawa. calgary had issues at backup goalie, too.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Yep I am glad I got to see a lot of games where he did well for us, dont really feel a need to "lol at" his buyout etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad