Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: "The March is On" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I thought Chuck was telling us nobody would even call him back when even whispering about a trade. :sarcasm:

Not a GM trying to protect his ass from the fire of having done nothing to address holes in the defense or failed coaching.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tanking and being an awful franchise are different. The Islanders didn’t tank for 30 years.

The point with the Islander tank is it didn't work, Eberle and Clutterback are all they have to show for a #1, #4, #5 (3), #12, and a #15 they got in trade and hit the jackpot (Barzal).
Meanwhile they're hitting on late first round and second round picks, and a 4th and 5th rd pick. Lee, Nelson, Beauvillier, Pulock, etc.

Maybe you don't have to pick in the top ten to get top players, maybe you just have to draft well.
Which is why I'm optimistic about the Flyers going forward.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I thought Chuck was telling us nobody would even call him back when even whispering about a trade. :sarcasm:

Not a GM trying to protect his ass from the fire of having done nothing to address holes in the defense or failed coaching.

Notice all these trades have occurred in the last two days, this is very typical, teams wait until the last few days before the TDL to ensure they're out of the race if they're selling, and to increase available cap room if they're buying.

Plus, Fletcher might need Scott to sign off before he sells, since that's announcing the Flyers have given up on the season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Consistent Goal-scoring is still the rarest, most valuable single skill. When you take measures that factor in Goals/Finishing, a player like Palmieri is going to show much better than he would in something like xG.

He's fallen off significantly this year, so if you take just 2021, he wouldn't be anywhere close to this. Notice that the charts quoted are of a 3 year sample. So adjust that based on whether you think he's cooked or just going through a bad streak.

He's also an excellent PP scorer, so more of his value may be tied to PP time than some other players. This is part of why the Islanders were such a commonly-suggested good fit.

So you're saying Flyer fans grossly underestimate JVR?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The point with the Islander tank is it didn't work, Eberle and Clutterback are all they have to show for a #1, #4, #5 (3), #12, and a #15 they got in trade and hit the jackpot (Barzal).
Meanwhile they're hitting on late first round and second round picks, and a 4th and 5th rd pick. Lee, Nelson, Beauvillier, Pulock, etc.

Maybe you don't have to pick in the top ten to get top players, maybe you just have to draft well.
Which is why I'm optimistic about the Flyers going forward.
That's how it is for everybody

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
and they agreed to protect him for expansion...not that there are going to be any other good forwards exposed due to that, if I am seeing everyone properly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That would actually be a good price for Laughton, who is 3 years younger and better.
speaking of Laughton....media has been saying he could be this years Goodrow/Coleman type pickup. They both scored tonight so maybe others will see the "need" for that type...lol.

Or Laughton could actually do something....pointless in 9 games. I think the possibility of getting traded is on his mind. Watch us keep him then he will go on another run of points post deadline.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad