Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pens fans won't have such a positive view of tanking once they actually need to sit through the tanking part.

Most of them just became Pens fans after the tank payed off and they had already got their stars, they weren't around for the bad years. We'll see how much they like it when Crosby and Malkin are done and they need to have their franchise saved again.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I have never had very high opinion on Pens mods around here based on what I have read from them, but this is damn hilarious

I mean... Them and the leafs fans... High fiving each other after "we have suffered through being **** on purpose, and we deserve to get the best because we decided to be laughing stock/a guy who is kicked in the nuts by everyone" is absolute idiocy

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Watching the Phils these last 4-5 years (or however long it has been) has been brutal so much that the 08 title has lost it's luster IMO. That's really my only personal experience with bottoming out. Forunately with changes in ownership & management things seem to be headed into a right direction.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
Yes, I thought Vatanen would be beating down the Oilers door like the other young blueliners wanting to be part of that dynasty.....oh well, i guess some fans of certain teams can't be believed after all.....

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ed-Stein/Breaking-Vatenen-Gets-4yr-Extension/210/77618

The Ducks announced they have signed Sami Vatanen to a four year contract extension. The Finnish defenseman was set to become a restricted free agent (RFA) in two weeks. Financial terms are not disclosed at this time.

Due to Anaheim's internal budget as well as other important RFAs that remain unsigned (Hampus Lindholm and Rickard Rakell), this move could signal the end of a veteran Duck's tenure with the club. More than likely Cam Fowler will be the odd man out.

How about Bieksa first before Fowler becomes available :whaaa?:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Anaheim's D is where we should hope to be someday. Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen established. Despres and Manson- good young compliments. Theodore knocking on the door. Montour and Larsson not far behind.

Can't pay em all. Fowler is UFA in two seasons. Trade him for a premium now, fill from within, and spread the money saved around.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
A Penguins fan started a thread called:

"Why is tanking looked at so negatively?"

:laugh:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2091761
I still refuse to believe the Penguins are a better franchise than the flyers. Better head to head, more playoff wins, more wins in general, didn't tank, better fan base (Kansas City Penguins, anyone?) just a bunch of rubes who only choose to care when the Pens catch fire since the Steelers season is far away.

The only factor to me is the cups. While I do think there's something to be said of the 8 eastern conference titles, if they could've closed out just 33% of those 6 series... Just 33%, less than half... It'd be a no brainer who's superior.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anaheim's D is where we should hope to be someday. Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen established. Despres and Manson- good young compliments. Theodore knocking on the door. Montour and Larsson not far behind.

Can't pay em all. Fowler is UFA in two seasons. Trade him for a premium now, fill from within, and spread the money saved around.

Can't protect them all, either.

I wonder what we'd have to add to MDZ to get Fowler.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I still refuse to believe the Penguins are a better franchise than the flyers. Better head to head, more playoff wins, more wins in general, didn't tank, better fan base (Kansas City Penguins, anyone?) just a bunch of rubes who only choose to care when the Pens catch fire since the Steelers season is far away.

The only factor to me is the cups. While I do think there's something to be said of the 8 eastern conference titles, if they could've closed out just 33% of those 6 series... Just 33%, less than half... It'd be a no brainer who's superior.

I refuse to believe it too, because it's not true. When we say we got "unlucky" in the Finals, of course it is going to sound like sour grapes to people who are unsympathetic to us - but it's also absolutely true, as we faced three dynasties and one adjusted dynasty (Chicago) in our last four trips. (I mean that Chicago is a latter day dynasty, as close to a dynasty as we are likely to see from here on out.)
We won two Cups and were in three other finals before they had the slightest whiff of success. We crushed them like 73 times in a row. They tanked to get the only thing - Mario - that both kept them in business and gave them a prayer of winning Cups. They faced two lightweights in their first two Cups. They arguably tanked again to nab Fleury/Crosby/Malkin. In the time from inception to their first Cup, and in the period between their second and third, they were hardly jack squat and nearly moved again. Meanwhile, we were nearly always in contention to one degree or another.

Those Cups are the problem and they dangle off my last nerve like a ****ing obese Tarzan swinging on a vine. At the moment (and most of the rest of the time), they are insufferably smug. We just have to be patient. It's very difficult at the moment, but we will be terrorizing them again soon.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder if they'd swap Bickell for Datsyuk + pick

I doubt it. There's still good incentive for Carolina to take on Datsyuk's contract as it's caphit of $7.5M for next year without any actual salary being paid on it. The leverage has shifted more so to their side now with the cap stagnating but not to the point where they hold a team completely by the balls in that situation.

The rumored deal has been one of Jurco or Pulkkinen as the main piece going the other way along with Datsyuk's contract from Detroit. They both have some upside but are far from guarantees to be long term guys at this point.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just when you thought people couldn't be any dumber....talking about Giroux:

"Crosby
Malkin
Mcdavid
Kopitar
Towes
Seguin
Backstrom

are all better than him

The list isn't in order but they are all better than him and Eichel will be on this list soon"

Followed by:

"Also Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Johanssen, Larkin, Barkov, Carter, Koivu, Turris, Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, and probably Tyler Johnson and Nazem Kadri"

:shakehead

People should be required to meet a certain IQ level before being allowed to post...lol.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I doubt it. There's still good incentive for Carolina to take on Datsyuk's contract as it's caphit of $7.5M for next year without any actual salary being paid on it. The leverage has shifted more so to their side now with the cap stagnating but not to the point where they hold a team completely by the balls in that situation.

The rumored deal has been one of Jurco or Pulkkinen as the main piece going the other way along with Datsyuk's contract from Detroit. They both have some upside but are far from guarantees to be long term guys at this point.

Ah, whoops. Didn't realize it's just the cap hit! I was confused as to how Carolina could pay around 12 million to players that wouldn't play... Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad