Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yep. Was my point.

Oh ok. I'm sure they would if he could return anything close to Fowler. His value is pretty much shot. May even have to retain some cap to move him. They may just hold on to him (depending on what they will need to expose for the expansion draft).

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
On totally unrelated note, I'd love to see a Latvian in Flyers jersey again. :(

Oskars Bartulis was the main reason I became a PHI fan (cheering in 2010 SC run)

There have been only 2 other ''Latvians'' (North American guys w Latvian roots): Mike Knuble and Aris Brimanis http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8458600

I wouldn't mind Girgensons with the Flyers.

Rumors are he is available and I'd say he can be a buy-low, high-reward aqcuisition. Would look awesome as our 3c.

Bylsma and him never seemed to work.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia

Rumors are he is available and I'd say he can be a buy-low, high-reward aqcuisition. Would look awesome as our 3c.

That would be amazing for me as a Latvian & PHI fan, but the return Buffalo expects seems a bit too much... :)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe Anaheim will just move Depres. Not sure what his value is after Barrie ****ed up his season with a headshot, though.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Who cares what Buffalo fans want in return for him.

We all overvalue our players but if he is available I'm sure they would at least try to get a defender who is in the NHL. Especially left handed. It's there biggest need. That makes sense.

We have extra draft picks. Maybe package a few of them along with a roster player to try and get him. I have no clue what his value would be honestly

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I wouldn't mind him either, but he lost his 3C spot this season and got moved to LW. So I wouldn't pay any sort of premium for another Laughton-type right now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't mind him either, but he lost his 3C spot this season and got moved to LW. So I wouldn't pay any sort of premium for another Laughton-type right now.

That's the thing, we crap on Laughton and Cousins for not being 3rd line centers. But Girgs wasn't that for Buffalo either. And while I believe his fancy stats were good and he made others better, he still only had 18 points while playing minutes with Eichel and ROR.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Who cares what Buffalo fans want in return for him.

We all overvalue our players but if he is available I'm sure they would at least try to get a defender who is in the NHL. Especially left handed. It's there biggest need. That makes sense.

We have extra draft picks. Maybe package a few of them along with a roster player to try and get him. I have no clue what his value would be honestly

Amac or striet ;)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Does anyone know how Oliver Kylington did this year? I saw him mentioned elsewhere and was just curious because I haven't given him any thought since last year's draft.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
How bout Laughton for Girgs?

Both players that could use a change and different opportunities elsewhere maybe? That seems like a fair deal.

Next year is huge for Girgs too. His stock was improving with the 15-15 season and then took a major step backwards. If that happens again this year it could mean the end for him

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How bout Laughton for Girgs?

Both players that could use a change and different opportunities elsewhere maybe? That seems like a fair deal.

Next year is huge for Girgs too. His stock was improving with the 15-15 season and then took a major step backwards. If that happens again this year it could mean the end for him

I feel like we would have to add something small for that to work. Girgensons perceived value is likely higher than Laughtons.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I still refuse to believe the Penguins are a better franchise than the flyers. Better head to head, more playoff wins, more wins in general, didn't tank, better fan base (Kansas City Penguins, anyone?) just a bunch of rubes who only choose to care when the Pens catch fire since the Steelers season is far away.

The only factor to me is the cups. While I do think there's something to be said of the 8 eastern conference titles, if they could've closed out just 33% of those 6 series... Just 33%, less than half... It'd be a no brainer who's superior.

Last 10 years they have won _____?
Last 10 years we have won _____?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Why "last 10 years"? What does that have to do with anything? I remember 1987 like it was yesterday. If you don't think that it and everything that came after (and before) doesn't matter, you are mistaken. We can't argue with their Cups - all we can do is look forward and get going to close the gap there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

We are the better franchise, they have just had a few better rosters the past 10 years aided by intentionally tanking; something the Flyers never have and never will do.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Why "last 10 years"? What does that have to do with anything? I remember 1987 like it was yesterday. If you don't think that it and everything that came after (and before) doesn't matter, you are mistaken. We can't argue with their Cups - all we can do is look forward and get going to close the gap there.

Last time we won the Cup was 1975.

I remember the Chicago SCF year like it was yesterday, but we still lost. Most Flyers fans today weren't even old enough to remember them winning the Cup the last time they did so and a very large amount of fans weren't even alive at all the last time they won it. So good for you on remembering 1987 I guess, but that's not the last time we won and even if it were there's an entire younger generation of fans who weren't even alive at that time.

You'd have to be in your 50's, at the very least, to actually have any sort of working memory of their last Cup win.

I don't really care about the Penguins winning. There's going to be a lot of smug and fake Penguins fans lauding it over us and there's going to be a lot of Flyers fans who are going to pretend as if they aren't dying for even one Cup win, let alone two. In the end, it's just ****ing sports and we're just fans. It's not like it actually matters or as if we're bragging about our own accomplishments.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Well you didn't say 1975 and I don't actually know you as a person, so my bad for not assuming and/or not being telepathic I guess?

I was using 1987 just as a reference point. That team was special and in a sense was representative of our history, because it played with incredible grit and heart, was tough as well as skilled and fast, but ran into a dynasty in the Finals, costing us a Cup. As I said in a post earlier, for most of the years before and after that (until recently) our achievements put anything the Penguins did to shame. They only passed us in the sense that they have the two more Cups, both of which have been since 2009. The Cups count, of course they do, and we don't have a strong argument against them because of that. But looking at the entirety of our history, we have been much stronger much more often than them. We just need to get those two more Cups (and three would be even better) to shut them the **** up. We do that and we can shove their smugness right back down their throats, like we did up until 2009.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I was using 1987 just as a reference point. That team was special and in a sense was representative of our history, because it played with incredible grit and heart, was tough as well as skilled and fast, but ran into a dynasty in the Finals, costing us a Cup.
I wasn't around back then, but sounds a lot like 2010. To be quite honest, I've said this before, but I'm not the type of person who thinks in terms of "Cup or bust". I watch hockey for my own personal pleasure. A run like 2010 gave me a lot of that. A Cup would obviously give me a ton of entertainment, satisfaction, and pleasure, but those things can also be had even without a Cup. The reverse sweep of Boston in 2010 was truly something special that very few fans get to experience, for example. These things are not invalidated because they didn't come with a Cup.

So when I look back at the Penguins and Flyers (or any two teams), consistent entertainment is as big a factor as counting Cups. Perhaps more. Being a competitive team year after year keeps you engaged and entertained. I've never reached the point where I wished to stop watching the Flyers because things were just so bleak. The Penguins have been there. The Oilers are there. The Hawks were there. Sure, maybe that will produce a Cup or two after years of being a doormat... but I'd rather be patient and win fewer Cups if it means my team is providing me consistent entertainment and pleasure year after year. I understand that not everyone thinks this way, but... like someone said above-- it's just sports. I'm not the one winning the championship. All I care about is the viewing experience, and having a consistently competitive team enhances that experience.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I wasn't around back then, but sounds a lot like 2010. To be quite honest, I've said this before, but I'm not the type of person who thinks in terms of "Cup or bust". I watch hockey for my own personal pleasure. A run like 2010 gave me a lot of that. A Cup would obviously give me a ton of entertainment, satisfaction, and pleasure, but those things can also be had even without a Cup. The reverse sweep of Boston in 2010 was truly something special that very few fans get to experience, for example. These things are not invalidated because they didn't come with a Cup.

So when I look back at the Penguins and Flyers (or any two teams), consistent entertainment is as big a factor as counting Cups. Perhaps more. Being a competitive team year after year keeps you engaged and entertained. I've never reached the point where I wished to stop watching the Flyers because things were just so bleak. The Penguins have been there. The Oilers are there. The Hawks were there. Sure, maybe that will produce a Cup or two after years of being a doormat... but I'd rather be patient and win fewer Cups if it means my team is providing me consistent entertainment and pleasure year after year. I understand that not everyone thinks this way, but... like someone said above-- it's just sports. I'm not the one winning the championship. All I care about is the viewing experience, and having a consistently competitive team enhances that experience.

Absolutely spot on! I could not agree more. I would rather have a consistently successful product than be the doormat of the league. Unlike some on the main boards, an entertaining season does require winning the cup, but it does require not tanking and being the doormat.

As it relates to the Pens, many of those fans are bandwagon fans who are enjoying the success and have not been invested long enough to have weathered the crappy years. That is why you see so many in that thread on the main boards not carrying about tanking.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I agree with you and I have always been proud of this team for the way it conducts itself and the fact that we are almost always competitive. The stuff I was saying about the Cups was more about the argument between our fanbases - I couldn't care less about winning an argument on the internet, it's just the way things go on here that Cups trump everything else when "making your case" or whatever (and I do understand why it is that way). Winning arguments is not important. We have always been a good playoff team and have frequently punched above our weight or gone further than we should have on paper, and I love that. Even with Homer's mistakes, at least he was doing everything he could to get us there and I appreciate that (though I prefer Hexy's way, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad