Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm going to repeat what I said because I truly feel it was a stroke of internet genius:

"Strange happenstance as we root/irrationally cheer against former Flyers in the Cup Finals this year as Dainius Zubrus' entire Flyers tenure pre-dates HF Boards."

Think about the world in between 1996-1998.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
148nqxe.png

This dude is legitimately a Pens fan.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't root against former Flyers. The Sharks are a likeable team and winning the Cup for the first time in their 25th anniversary year would be pretty neat.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
That's so weird. I completely forgot Zubrus was only here until 1999. It feels like the only things I particularly remember about him were scoring the Flyers' only goal in the WFC opener and not ever loving him as a player.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I remember going to a World Cup game in Philly in 96 and Zubrus was sitting behind me. We weren't exactly near the ice either. :laugh:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Such a great story if SJS wins. Such a pain in the butt if Pissburg does.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If someone can crack Sullivan's system it would be Deboer. He made Laviolette's Flyers look bad in the playoffs with a Devils team pretty devoid of talent and I think Sullivan's system is very close to Laviolette's.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Rooting for San Jose. To be fair, I hate the Penguins but Pittsburgh,the city, has some really decent restaurants. And to the person who mentioned smog......well.....the steel industry died and was buried ~ 20 years ago. High Tech and Research replaced virtually all the steel mills along the river.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Rooting for San Jose. To be fair, I hate the Penguins but Pittsburgh,the city, has some really decent restaurants. And to the person who mentioned smog......well.....the steel industry died and was buried ~ 20 years ago. High Tech and Research replaced virtually all the steel mills along the river.

The only redeeming quality about the city is that they play heavy metal in the bars. Outside of that, everything else about that city stinks. That's why it's losing population. Anybody who can leave, leaves. Of the top 30 cities in the country it's the only one to lose population over the last 5 years.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...ine-in-Pittsburgh-region/stories/201603240067

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
The only redeeming quality about the city is that they play heavy metal in the bars. Outside of that, everything else about that city stinks. That's why it's losing population. Anybody who can leave, leaves. Of the top 30 cities in the country it's the only one to lose population over the last 5 years.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...ine-in-Pittsburgh-region/stories/201603240067

Yeah its not a great city, lived there for a little while, and was bored out of my mind. Not that it doesnt have its moments, but they were few and far between.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Every city has some decent restaurants.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think the Sharks win in 6. This isn't just wishful b thinking, they have been really impressive. They took apart the Kings and Blues without home ice. Pavelski to win the Con Smythe.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If someone can crack Sullivan's system it would be Deboer. He made Laviolette's Flyers look bad in the playoffs with a Devils team pretty devoid of talent and I think Sullivan's system is very close to Laviolette's.
TB was fast but had no size on the front end to compete with the Penguins lousy defense. It won't be that way with SJ. The Sharks should be able to take advantage of that.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Went to Pittsburgh for the first time for a Flyers Pens game this past January. Ugly city and it felt depressing just being there.

Pens fans were a joke. Didn't hear one peep from them until after the game was over and they had won.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Hope Pitt enjoys this run. They must realize their door is essentially shut with no future depth.
I feel like I've read this here pretty much each of the last 3 or 4 seasons
I give them a lot of credit for revamping their roster...their window is gonna be open for a good bit longer than we're hoping

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I give them a lot of credit for revamping their roster...their window is gonna be open for a good bit longer than we're hoping

If they are going to be rebuilding through FA like they have been, it wont work. Think Paul tried that...And Pitt does it by trading away prospects, they dont have much more to trade away. Not as many as they had the last 4 years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

They caught lightning in a bottle if you ask me.

If they dont win it this season, they wont win it again because Sullivan isnt going to get this type of effort out of them next season.

They remind me of the 2010 Flyers a bit. A few trades that paid off..a coaching change..flip-flopping goalies..etc.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

There is a reason the owners are despartely trying to sell right now. This is the absolute peak of this franchise and they know it is only downhill from here.

The Penguins are only profitable with playoff runs even with the building regularly selling out. The television contract with Root Sports is front loaded (why would Root do that which is against what every other local sports television deal does). And their major stars are 28 or older with Malkin having not played a full season since 2008-2009 and Crosby and Letang with a history of concussion issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad