Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXVIII: Post Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
They gave up Adam Fox and Jeff Skinner though. So let's not crown them perfect franchise just yet.
Although that Dahling and Rask trade is a great clowning to watch as a fan of hockey.

Fox was only ever going to play for NYR so recouping 2 2nds instead of him walking in a year to sign for free was pretty good.

Seeing Skinner's progress as a player, I don't think they feel they lost that one either.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
Just perused hockeyDB for fun. Carolina has drafted THIRTY-THREE players in the past 3 drafts. Why don’t more teams do this?

It’s the smart play. Hoard too many assets, develop players, and trade a few for NHL roster players when needed. Fletcher will never do this because he’s a desperate, panicky, & messy bitch.
This is the way. You can either be a well run franchise, or knuckle draggers that give up premium picks like 2nd’s and 3rd’s for Braun, 1st’s and 2nd’s for the Risto’s of the world.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It’s a process that doesn’t just end in drafting. They also needs corresponding moves as well to make the team stronger. They have tried and they haven’t worked out. I’m a fan of how they have tried to cultivate a winner in Carolina. It’s not a perfect science.

I saw an interesting post from a “Big” Canes fan in the Stepan thread about how they are shaping up.

For now, the team looks like (lines subject to change):

Svechnikov - Aho - Teravainen
Niederreiter - Trocheck - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Lorentz - Stepan - Leivo

Slavin - Pesce
Skjei -Bear
Cole - DeAngelo
Smith, Gardiner

Andersen
Raanta

Hopefully there's a move to make for a Top 9 forward. There will be a good chunk of cap space available to do it after re-signing Svechnikov, but the options are dwindling. Barring a big breakout somewhere up top, this looks like a step back for a team that you hope would take a step forward coming into the offseason.

Reactions: Rebels57

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I'm not you.
Soon™

original.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Why would you bring this up? This agitates me. I'm agitated now thinking about this massive loss. You belong in the vinegar mines.

Remember when Dr. Eli Vance dies to the Combine Advisor in Episode 2 and you just hear Alyx's gut wrenching sobs over the credits? 14 years ago. Gabe needs to go to the vinegar mines, not me. It's called a passion project, Gabe, you greedy bastard. How can you do that to us?!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Remember when Dr. Eli Vance dies to the Combine Advisor in Episode 2 and you just hear Alyx's gut wrenching sobs over the credits? 14 years ago. Gabe needs to go to the vinegar mines, not me. It's called a passion project, Gabe, you greedy bastard. How can you do that to us?!

Sound design in that game in general is still probably my favorite, the Source engine was such an incredible thing for the time.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
The idea of Dubas being competent kind of goes against the entire narrative that the whole league is invariably made up of idiot GMs, does it not?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sound design in that game in general is still probably my favorite, the Source engine was such an incredible thing for the time.

Half-Life 2 (and Episodes 1/2) is my favorite game of all time. Graphics, sound design, weapon design, gameplay, characters, writing, voice acting, plot, atmosphere, pacing. Masterpiece. Don't get me started, Beefy! I'm getting all worked up.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Half-Life 2 (and Episodes 1/2) is my favorite game of all time. Graphics, sound design, weapon design, gameplay, characters, writing, voice acting, plot, atmosphere, pacing. Masterpiece. Don't get me started, Beefy! I'm getting all worked up.

The graphics quality was an incredible leap over everything else.

It's a pity the Source engine was so hard to mod for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad