Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXVIII: Post Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Can’t wait til this is brought to the NHL...it wasn’t an impressive feat when 52% of the league made the playoffs. It will be super not impressive when 72% make it.

Actually it's fine in the AHL, where the primary goal isn't a championship, playoffs become a "second season" extending deep enough to give college and CHL players who go pro or on ATOs enough games to get a better read on them, and by eliminating clearly bad teams, improves the level of competition.

Reactions: ugiswrong

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Actually it's fine in the AHL, where the primary goal isn't a championship, playoffs become a "second season" extending deep enough to give college and CHL players who go pro or on ATOs enough games to get a better read on them, and by eliminating clearly bad teams, improves the level of competition.
I don’t believe I said anything about the AHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When you're a season ticket holder for an AHL team like yours truly, particularly one that you've watched win three championships in the last 15 years, then championships are 100% the goal, lmao

But not for the NHL team that controls the AHL franchise.

Player development is their priority, and even for fans, the lure of minor league hockey or baseball is as much seeing the "stars of tomorrow" before they're household names.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I think the primary goal here is giving more teams a shot at playoff revenue to recover from the what-have-you that we've been having.

Which I suspect must have the NHL discussing playoff format expansion as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It may increase revenues, but at the AHL level, tehre's little real impact.

At the NHL level it's a different matter, watering down the playoffs makes the regular season less relevant, which then hurts regular season ticket sales and revenues and TV ratings.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It may increase revenues, but at the AHL level, tehre's little real impact.

At the NHL level it's a different matter, watering down the playoffs makes the regular season less relevant, which then hurts regular season ticket sales and revenues and TV ratings.
okIkBp4.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think the primary goal here is giving more teams a shot at playoff revenue to recover from the what-have-you that we've been having.

Which I suspect must have the NHL discussing playoff format expansion as well.

I expect them to go to an Everyone-but-Buffalo format in 2022-23.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
The other thing is his best season was a shortened season where they played exclusively against maybe the worst division in hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad