Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LX: Covid Cup II nears its finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, pretty much every time he comes up on the main boards there's a chucklef*** or two wondering about what sort of man-child goes by Dougie.

I think it's mostly lame people who peaked in high school trying to find a way to rip on a guy who makes more money in a year than they will in their entire lives.
If we've learned one thing on this board, it's that we don't need Hamilton for that...

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It's not like Doug Hamilton or Douglas Hamilton would sound much better though. Blame his parents.

What about Douglas Hamilton, Jr.?

Also diminutive... but also a successor. Classy? Or daddy issues?

I've always wondered about the hubris of bestowing the "junior" distinction to one's son.

We did have one Frederick Meyer IV at one point though. Being fourth makes it cooler than just junior. One is a bloodline. The other is a cute title you give to someone you view as beneath you, but still not distinct and apart from you.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It makes perfect sense when the Hurricanes can offer an extra year that other teams cannot. It's an example of a franchise being smart while other organizations go about "the way it's always been."

Yeah, this keeps them from overpaying while only betting against themselves. They're asking for proof that he's worth what he wants on the market, and this is a wise move in the present cap environment.

He's not an easy player to lose normally, but stuff is weird.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
What about Douglas Hamilton, Jr.?

Also diminutive... but also a successor. Classy? Or daddy issues?

I've always wondered about the hubris of bestowing the "junior" distinction to one's son.

We did have one Frederick Meyer IV at one point though. Being fourth makes it cooler than just junior. One is a bloodline. The other is a cute title you give to someone you view as beneath you, but still not distinct and apart from you.
Yeah, it's pretty weird. It takes a big ego to name your son after yourself. Borderline narcissistic.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, it's pretty weird. It takes a big ego to name your son after yourself. Borderline narcissistic.

I get recycling names in the family, but making a kid a full-blown mini-me does seem kind of weird. Is it just a family tradition? Sure, but I bet a lot of them are the kind of people who want their kids to be monuments to them.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Marian Hossa for Dany Heatley is the only one that comes to mind in the last 20 years. Hossa signed for 3 years with the Sens and was then traded later that day.
Didn't they also trade Yashin, Havlat and Chara. Gotta think they were a bit trigger happy with those lazy Russians. Meanwhile they made a lifer out of Chris Phillips who might just be one of the more useless players to log 1000 games.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Carolina is ran like an MLB front office. They’re not going pay max salary & max term on a contract when odds are against a player in a general sense that they’re likely not gonna live up to half the contract.

They’ll get their value elsewhere as they’re always scouring the market for legitimate undervalued players.

That's a bitter pill to swallow though when a player of that caliber walks for nothing. Tough for the fan base too. Not that Carolina is wrong to think that way but it's a tough situation when the market assesses an inflated value to what he brings. I think he's a really good player too but not sure 9+ x 7 good in a flat cap.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don’t know if it’s been touched on but I think the team acquiring Hamilton would also probably wait to “sign” him to the deal due to dealing with expansion draft ramifications.

Reactions: BernieParent

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I get recycling names in the family, but making a kid a full-blown mini-me does seem kind of weird. Is it just a family tradition? Sure, but I bet a lot of them are the kind of people who want their kids to be monuments to them.

My wife just told me about a family her mom is friends with where they gave all three sons the same first name as the father. All of the boys go by their middle name as a result.

People are weird.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Didn't they also trade Yashin, Havlat and Chara. Gotta think they were a bit trigger happy with those lazy Russians. Meanwhile they made a lifer out of Chris Phillips who might just be one of the more useless players to log 1000 games.

They traded Yashin for Chara and the pick that became Spezza because they didn't want to meet Yashin's contract demands.

Chara left as a FA. They prioritized signing Wade Redden at the time instead.

Havlat refused to sign with the Sens past his RFA years, so they traded him for what value they could get.

Cash is the answer for many of these moves more than not being a fan of Eastern Europeans.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

If someone's argument is Seth Jones is wretched because his WAR was near league bottom this season, I think that person is barking up the wrong tree. League high usage can skew numbers like that a bit too. No differently than Provorov's stats this season, albeit with more offensive flash. Good in a vacuum players who've had good results in more ideal situations. Jones is assuredly more good than bad. It's not worth debating if he can be good (again) and can provide value. The deep skepticism is if he's actually elite -- for XYZ reasons -- because the cost will be elite and the usage will be elite. You can't just shrug that one away.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If someone's argument is Seth Jones is wretched because his WAR was near league bottom this season, I think that person is barking up the wrong tree. League high usage can skew numbers like that a bit too. No differently than Provorov's stats this season, albeit with more offensive flash. Good in a vacuum players who've had good results in more ideal situations. Jones is assuredly more good than bad. It's not worth debating if he can be good (again) and can provide value. The deep skepticism is if he's actually elite -- for XYZ reasons -- because the cost will be elite and the usage will be elite. You can't just shrug that one away.

Tanev is a good example how much a player's metric can change in different situations, going from a very bad to good team.
Problem with Jones that for most of his time in Columbus, he's been on good teams with good partners (i.e. not Braun stuck with over the hill Vlasic).
They made the playoffs four straight years before this season, and you could do worse than Werenski as your partner.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My wife just told me about a family her mom is friends with where they gave all three sons the same first name as the father. All of the boys go by their middle name as a result.

People are weird.

Well over a decade ago in early Rome, the Latin naming convention was to give the firstborn son the father's name. After that, all other boys were named Secundus, Tertius, Quartius, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius, etc. So using that method today in English, a set of sons would be named Claude, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, etc. That's gotta create some kind of issues. "Jonathan is the favorite. They literally named me "Second."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad