Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVIII: May-June edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This matchup is so damned fun
I completely disagree. It was incredibly boring for a playoff game. Keith Jones even just called it a boring game.

Carolina may have outshot Tampa, but they weren’t good chances & Tampa barely broke a sweat. The only excitement was when Carolina pulled the goalie.

Just an awful playoff series so far.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I completely disagree. It was incredibly boring for a playoff game. Keith Jones even just called it a boring game.

Carolina may have outshot Tampa, but they weren’t good chances & Tampa barely broke a sweat. The only excitement was when Carolina pulled the goalie.

Just an awful playoff series so far.

Keith Jones' idea of a good time is Robert f***ing Hogg feebly rubbing guys.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Keith Jones' idea of a good time is Robert f***ing Hogg feebly rubbing guys.
What was exciting about the game besides the last couple of minutes with the goalie pulled?

There was minimal physicality, minimal dangerous offensive opportunities. It was much more like a run-of-the-mill regular season game than a 2nd round playoff game. This series has paled in comparison to Boston-Islanders.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I love that dude.

Fin Fun fact: he’s now played in 27 and 2/3 playoff games and has yet to take a single penalty, despite playing well over 20 minutes per game against guys like Ovechkin, Barzal, Panarin, and all of Boston’s top line. Not one single trip or hold or hook. He’s always in position and never has to cheat in order to break up a play. I don’t know if there’s a single defensemen I take over him in his own half of the ice.
Sounds like modern day vlasic.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Carolina looks like they’re going to get swept. They’re generating very few dangerous chances.
Yeah, looks like this is going to be a short series. The Hurricanes are good enough to beat teams like Nashville and the Islanders, but they can't beat the top teams.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, looks like this is going to be a short series. The Hurricanes are good enough to beat teams like Nashville and the Islanders, but they can't beat the top teams.

Then how did they take down a top tier Caps team?

TB played excellent defense last night. Carolina helped that by seeking to generate from the perimeter off deflections/screens/rebounds. Apparently Rod had commented about how Vas is the best in the league currently and they needed to find ways to beat him. Based on what they're capable of doing, it looked like part of a gameplan to do that.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What was exciting about the game besides the last couple of minutes with the goalie pulled?

There was minimal physicality, minimal dangerous offensive opportunities. It was much more like a run-of-the-mill regular season game than a 2nd round playoff game. This series has paled in comparison to Boston-Islanders.

Two high skill teams going at it and playing excellent positional defense is a good time

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Then how did they take down a top tier Caps team?

TB played excellent defense last night. Carolina helped that by seeking to generate from the perimeter off deflections/screens/rebounds. Apparently Rod had commented about how Vas is the best in the league currently and they needed to find ways to beat him. Based on what they're capable of doing, it looked like part of a gameplan to do that.
The Capitals were ousted by the Bruins in round 1. Carolina played Nashville.

And on the subject of Washington, they aren’t a top tier team anymore, regardless. They’re past their prime & mediocre defensively.

Reactions: tucson83

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
im calling it it's going to a tampa and colorado cup series, i still think tampa is going to win it though because of vissey. i like grubauer but his inexperience in the cup finals could be his weakness.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Capitals were ousted by the Bruins in round 1. Carolina played Nashville.

And on the subject of Washington, they aren’t a top tier team anymore, regardless. They’re past their prime & mediocre defensively.

Which year did you think I was talking about?

Caps were a top team in 2019, when Carolina eliminated them. To say they can't beat top teams is nonsense. They obviously can.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Which year did you think I was talking about?

Caps were a top team in 2019, when Carolina eliminated them. To say they can't beat top teams is nonsense. They obviously can.

The Caps lose in the first or second round every year but that one fluke year. Makes it hard to use them as a measuring stick.

People talk about how much the Islanders dominated us in the bubble playoffs, but they totally steamrolled Washington before that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Caps lose in the first or second round every year but that one fluke year. Makes it hard to use them as a measuring stick.

People talk about how much the Islanders dominated us in the bubble playoffs, but they totally steamrolled Washington before that.

The Islanders under Trotz are a playoff meat grinder.

Carolina has swept them recently as well, if we'd like to use them to measure instead.

Reactions: Cody Webster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad