Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVIII: May-June edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They won 3 games in overtime. Had only a single game where they had the better xGF%. It's cute when people mention getting to game 7 as an accomplishment.

The Islanders will make life hard for any team with great planning, but our coach also worked to make winning harder

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Isles generally range from good to pretty good defensively. Goaltending is probably average to good. Offensively it’s pretty average though.

That’s probably what keeps them as a high floor team but probably not realistically a contender.

If you look at the the real contenders this year in Colorado, Tampa Bay, etc. they’re pretty good in a phases.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I guess Marner is catching heat from the Toronto media & in turn by some fans for going golfing yesterday. :laugh:

I guess they want him to lock himself in a room for the summer & think about what just happened.

Alternate sessions of self-flagellation and shooting pucks through pinpricks in a Carey Price shooter-tutor.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
And all the teams still in are well known data haters. Especially Colorado and Carolina.

I don’t even know what the hell point Pierre is trying to make. Edmonton isn’t top heavy by design. They’re bogged down with horrible depth because the current & previous management can’t identify good depth players.

McDavid was a positive in defensive impacts this year. He’s not Bergeron but Bergeron is also not scoring like McDavid either. In totality McDavid is the best player in the league this year. Draisaitl is & has been legitimately terrible defensively. But so were/are guys like Ovechkin & Kane. You can still win with all offensive impact guys.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I love that dude.

Fin Fun fact: he’s now played in 27 and 2/3 playoff games and has yet to take a single penalty, despite playing well over 20 minutes per game against guys like Ovechkin, Barzal, Panarin, and all of Boston’s top line. Not one single trip or hold or hook. He’s always in position and never has to cheat in order to break up a play. I don’t know if there’s a single defensemen I take over him in his own half of the ice.
so envious. Must be nice to be able to trust a Dman in your own zone.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I don’t even know what the hell point Pierre is trying to make. Edmonton isn’t top heavy by design. They’re bogged down with horrible depth because the current & previous management can’t identify good depth players.

McDavid was a positive in defensive impacts this year. He’s not Bergeron but Bergeron is also not scoring like McDavid either. In totality McDavid is the best player in the league this year. Draisaitl is & has been legitimately terrible defensively. But so were/are guys like Ovechkin & Kane. You can still win with all offensive impact guys.

I don't think Pierre even knows what point he was trying to make. All Pierre knows is that Pierre doesn't like fancy numbers and will vomit out whatever verbal diarrhea pops into his head that he thinks will somehow support his analytics bad philosophy. He's a dinosaur that even dinosaurs don't want any part of, which is why he hasn't held a job with an NHL team for 25 years, and not from a lack of repeatedly trying.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think Pierre even knows what point he was trying to make. All Pierre knows is that Pierre doesn't like fancy numbers and will vomit out whatever verbal diarrhea pops into his head that he thinks will somehow support his analytics bad philosophy. He's a dinosaur that even dinosaurs don't want any part of, which is why he hasn't held a job with an NHL team for 25 years, and not from a lack of repeatedly trying.

I wonder if he’s having like some job crisis at this point. He was already demoted by NBC over the years from their “top announce team”. His name hasn’t popped up yet for either ESPN or TNT.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You'd think a guy like Pierre who openly admits he wants to be in management would at least pretend to care about another evaluation tool. How do you look an owner in the face and say you don't value them at all? "Analytics" aren't going away.

Also kinda weird the guy who knows where everyone plays Minor Hockey (same btw Pierre) has no interest in numbers. :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You'd think a guy like Pierre who openly admits he wants to be in management would at least pretend to care about another evaluation tool. How do you look an owner in the face and say you don't value them at all? "Analytics" aren't going away.

Also kinda weird the guy who knows where everyone plays Minor Hockey (same btw Pierre) has no interest in numbers. :laugh:

It's also recent that he became this vocal about it. I'm trying to figure out what niche he's trying to carve out for himself, either in media or in team management.

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW

That's his shtick. It's obvious after a period of listening to his commentary. He's a pedantic shill for the NHL. Everyday plays are embellished to the extreme as "amazing" supplemented with superfluous information about where the player skated in juniors or college (he couldn't resist informing the audience EVERY GAME that Matt Reed played at Bemidj state). He's the NHL version of Starman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad