Proposal: Hronek for Liljegren +

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Would Leafs fans be interested in this, assuming they get bounced in the 1st round and look for a roster shakeup during the off-season?

Canucks need to free up cap space and re-signing Joshua, Zadorov, and possibly Lindholm seem to be a bigger priority than Hronek now.

This would particularly be interesting if the Leafs deal Marner, as they will receive more assets and have more cap space.

Hronek is likely going to re-sign for $7-7.5 million x 7 years.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Would Leafs fans be interested in this, assuming they get bounced in the 1st round and look for a roster shakeup during the off-season?

Canucks need to free up cap space and re-signing Joshua, Zadorov, and possibly Lindholm seem to be a bigger priority than Hronek now.

This would particularly be interesting if the Leafs deal Marner, as they will receive more assets and have more cap space.

I think the Leafs should look at it depending on the plus.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think the Leafs should look at it depending on the plus.
I can’t speak for Canucks fans generally, but I would think around a late first such as a prospect like Cowan.

Why would Vancouver do this? Liljegren is a huge downgrade from Hronek. This year Hronek helped defined one of the best pairings in the NHL with Hughes - pay him the 7-7.5M, it isn’t unreasonable.

If you need cap space, you should be pointing the finger at Mikheyev.
The logic is that the Canucks are going to be forced to downgrade one way or another next season, and even moreso the year after when the OEL cap recapture penalty increases. The logic is the team can receive assets from Hronek as opposed to losing UFAs like Zadorov, Lindholm, and Joshua for nothing.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I can’t speak for Canucks fans generally, but I would think around a late first such as a prospect like Cowan.

The logic is that the Canucks are going to be forced to downgrade one way or another next season, and even moreso the year after when the OEL cap recapture penalty increases. The logic is the team can receive assets from Hronek as opposed to losing UFAs like Zadorov, Lindholm, and Joshua for nothing.
I appreciate that but Myers, Cole, Blueger, DeSmith and Lafferty come off the books. A Mikheyev dump is also an option or buyout.

Top 4 RHD in their prime is extremely hard to find. Especially at the acquisition cost the Canucks paid to acquire him.

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Why would Vancouver do this? Liljegren is a huge downgrade from Hronek. This year Hronek helped defined one of the best pairings in the NHL with Hughes - pay him the 7-7.5M, it isn’t unreasonable.

This x 100. Hronek will be re signed if he is looking for a reasonable deal. He has been very good all year for us, and is a very good partner for Hughes. Anything in the 7s is fine by me.

7 to Hronek
7 to Lindholm
3.5ish to Joshua
3 to Myers
5.5 to Zadorov

Dump Mikheyev. Blueger/Lafferty/Cole/Friedman/DeSmith walk.

Cap won't be an issue for us to bring back our key guys. Allvin is a real solid GM, he will make it all work.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Seems backwards. Get Hronek done and then fit the other pieces in around with what is left.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This x 100. Hronek will be re signed if he is looking for a reasonable deal. He has been very good all year for us, and is a very good partner for Hughes. Anything in the 7s is fine by me.

7 to Hronek
7 to Lindholm
3.5ish to Joshua
3 to Myers
5.5 to Zadorov

Dump Mikheyev. Blueger/Lafferty/Cole/Friedman/DeSmith walk.

Cap won't be an issue for us to bring back our key guys. Allvin is a real solid GM, he will make it all work.
Even if we replace the players you listed at league minimum and the cap rises to 87.7 mill, we’d still be over the cap by a fair amount based on your estimates.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Even if we replace the players you listed at league minimum and the cap rises to 87.7 mill, we’d still be over the cap by a fair amount based on your estimates.
Doesn't matter either way, Allvin will figure it out. He built this years team with very little space to work with. Canucks will bring back every piece that they feel they need going forward. I have zero concern over the cap.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Doesn't matter either way, Allvin will figure it out. He built this years team with very little space to work with. Canucks will bring back every piece that they feel they need going forward. I have zero concern over the cap.
I agree, I just don’t see all of Hronek, Lindholm, Zadorov, and Joshua being brought back. One of them will likely be gone.

Reactions: wetcoast

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I agree, I just don’t see all of Hronek, Lindholm, Zadorov, and Joshua being brought back. One of them will likely be gone.
Myers would be the odd man out for me, although I could see him taking a big discount to remain a part of this group.

It's a weird feeling I have right now, full confidence in our GM to find a way to make this team better this offseason. However it plays out, we will be just fine.

Except we have to keep Zadorov, I love that dude.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Myers would be the odd man out for me, although I could see him taking a big discount to remain a part of this group.

It's a weird feeling I have right now, full confidence in our GM to find a way to make this team better this offseason. However it plays out, we will be just fine.

I crunched the numbers a few days ago, except my estimates might be a bit low/optimistic and it includes Mikheyev, excludes Lindholm, and we’re right against the cap:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I crunched the numbers a few days ago, except my estimates might be a bit low/optimistic and it includes Mikheyev, excludes Lindholm, and we’re right against the cap:

I think the biggest issue is obviously Mikheyev. Either buying him out, or attaching a 2nd+ to move him somewhere like Chicago is a must if they want to actually improve next season.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Agree with this for the most part but if Hronek's asking price is too much for the Canucks.....but I think the Canucks invest in him long term.

I think the biggest issue is obviously Mikheyev. Either buying him out, or attaching a 2nd+ to move him somewhere like Chicago is a must if they want to actually improve next season.
The Canucks really can't afford to lose more draft picks though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Joshua is the guy to keep we have no one like him in our system and he's the type of guy that's hard to find.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
While a lot of the takes in this thread are likely correct (you deal with Hronek first, then fill in around him); I can certainly see the motivation from both sides.

If you believe that Liljegren is a change-of-scenery away from being a reasonably premier defenceman that he was once touted to be, and occasionally shows flashes of; then it could be a very savvy move by Vancouver. Pay Liljegren $3m on a long term deal, instead of Hronek $7m+; and get a pretty good asset alongside him.

Obviously, quite a few other pieces would have to be moving as welll for the cap to work -- probably Marner.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Plus 33; 48 points; top pair minutes, and not playing pp #1. Be pretty difficult to replace that.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Even if we get rid of Mikheyev, we still won’t be able to bring back the same roster. Best case scenario, we’d at least lose some support players like Blueger and Myers.

I think it would take more than a 2nd to move 2 years of Mikheyev. Marleau wasn’t much more expensive (relative to the league salary cap at the time) and he cost a 1st with 1 year remaining on his contract.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I agree, but it is an option. I think buying him out, saving $3M~ the next two seasons and dealing with the $1.5M penalty 3-4 years from now is the more realistic approach.
Maybe but it depends on a lot of other resigning too.

I think the biggest thing is what potential and how soon Willander and EP2.0 can be ready.

But I think the Canucks keep Hronek and try to work around some other pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad