Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVIII: May-June edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I want a Stanley Cup, not a Starbucks cup, thanks. :p:

We already have a BC based fan who is jumping ship from the Flyers to the Kraken, anyway.

Not I. I'm in Washington state, not BC, and I'm not necessarily jumping ship. Lets just say my loyalties will be very conflicted, as the only thing hockey fan related that predates my flyers fanhood is the desire to have my own team in Seattle. It's gonna be super weird for me when they play.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Not I. I'm in Washington state, not BC, and I'm not necessarily jumping ship. Lets just say my loyalties will be very conflicted, as the only thing hockey fan related that predates my flyers fanhood is the desire to have my own team in Seattle. It's gonna be super weird for me when they play.

I'm in BC, and I've seriously considered taking the Kraken as my new team.

I'm just tired of the rudderless ship that is the Flyers. I don't have it in me for them to be mediocre for another almost decade. I don't follow other teams, the Flyers are the only sports team I watch. It would be sad, but probably less sad than where this team is headed.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I'm in BC, and I've seriously considered taking the Kraken as my new team.

I'm just tired of the rudderless ship that is the Flyers. I don't have it in me for them to be mediocre for another almost decade. I don't follow other teams, the Flyers are the only sports team I watch. It would be sad, but probably less sad than where this team is headed.

im the one jumping ship after 40 or so years..

it would take a radical outcome this summer for me to change plans..

will i keep an eye on the Flyers if i switch to Kraken ? prolly, but thats all it would be.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
All in all I dont think the Flyers have really had too many terrible losses in the playoffs. Especially since Ive been on this site. Game 6 was not ideal, but it everything that happened for them to get there was amazing. The Leafs on the otherhand, I dont even think this is there worst choke in the last 10 years.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, Toronto’s few gritty players & an assistant coach are really the predominant reasons they blew a 3-1 series lead & gave a woeful 1-goal performance in Game 7, not the fact that $11M & $10M offensive players *combined* for ONE goal in the 7 game series.

Marner is going to get rightly blasted. Like TK in our last playoffs, but with an enormous cap hit to boot.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Marner is going to get rightly blasted. Like TK in our last playoffs, but with an enormous cap hit to boot.

Marner will be excoriated, & rightly so.

MbzXYyA.jpg

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
All in all I dont think the Flyers have really had too many terrible losses in the playoffs. Especially since Ive been on this site. Game 6 was not ideal, but it everything that happened for them to get there was amazing. The Leafs on the otherhand, I dont even think this is there worst choke in the last 10 years.

I mean going through the season that shall not be named just to lose the draft lottery and have the franchise cornerstone player that should have been yours score an Cup clinching overtime goal that most AAA midget goalies stop is pretty devastating. No its not a choke but it hurts in a whole different sort of way.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Leafs didn't have an xGF% lower than 54% in any of the 7 games at 5v5. 2 solid games probably masks that they had trouble scoring goals. Defensively, they gave up more than one 5v5 goal in ONE game the whole series -- that's kinda nuts. Not what you'd expect out of a losing team. It's not unworthy of mentioning that they were missing their best all-around defenseman, Muzzin, tonight; and Tavares missed all series.

Some of their stars were a bit small in key moments (Matthews may have been playing with a bad wrist), but it's small sample, and I think no Tavares showed that the Leafs depth was pretty meh. They went the HockeyGuy™ route of acquiring every grizzled veteran imaginable (not that some were poor); culminating in trading (read: blowing) a 1st nonsensically for Nick Foligno, which no data would support. Moves like Brodie and, going back a couple years, Muzzin really did work providing defensive depth though.

Everyone is thinking big with Marner for Jones, and I'm sure a shakeup somewhere is in the cards (Reilly's contract status is interesting too), but I expect the Leafs to at least start cashing in their prospect chips. They have a lot of prospects for which they need to shit or get off the pot in their utilizing.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I mean going through the season that shall not be named just to lose the draft lottery and have the franchise cornerstone player that should have been yours score an Cup clinching overtime goal that most AAA midget goalies stop is pretty devastating. No its not a choke but it hurts in a whole different sort of way.
I dont disagree with this, still a bit annoyed they never resigned Biron. They did I think they win that cup. Just that the actual playoff losses have been tame. They lost game 7's to The Rangers (i dont remember much) and Islanders (I think we all thought they would lose) but nothing like the Leafs have gone through. The Sharks are another fanbase that has had some terrible losses and no cup to show for ( the Bruins do too but they won one).

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I tagged the poster I was talking about. It wasn't you. :laugh:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The Laughs are cursed for signing Tavares. He’s no longer what he once was. The signing screwed up their cap space since after that Nylander, Matthews and Marner all went for the over payment or else. They’d have been better off bit signing Tavares and using that cash to net some defense like Pieterangelo or that type of player. Their defense and goal situation is awful. It’s a tear apart situation for them in which they will most likely get fleeced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad