Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LIX: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and oh the #13 Lottery Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
mark-scheifele-hits-jake-evans.png

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I think it'd be pretty cool if they devils draft Hughes and have two of the brothers together or maybe make a deal for the third one as well, that'd be pretty dope, not gonna happen but I'd love playing with my brothers

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
As someone who watches every Jets game, He hasn`t back checked like that in 3 years. He was frustrated all game, made zero attempts to play the puck ( only chance to stop the goal) and wanted to smoke the guy and did. Who cares if he meant to injure him, it was chicken shit move and now his selfish play will hurt him and more so his team. You can not throw that hit anymore in that situation.

I would give him 4-5 games, but he will get 1-2. Hope a Hab beats the shit out of him too.

That Vegas penalty in OT was WEAK !!!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
As someone who watches every Jets game, He hasn`t back checked like that in 3 years. He was frustrated all game, made zero attempts to play the puck ( only chance to stop the goal) and wanted to smoke the guy and did. Who cares if he meant to injure him, it was chicken shit move and now his selfish play will hurt him and more so his team. You can not throw that hit anymore in that situation.

I would give him 4-5 games, but he will get 1-2. Hope a Hab beats the shit out of him too.

“Missing” a double minor cross check to Landeskog’s face that drew blood will do that. They knew they missed it during the break and were going to call the first thing on the Knights.

NHL refs gonna NHL ref.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016

I think they will give him at least 5 games and I am hoping the Jets still come out of the North.
I didn't like the call in the Avs - Vegas game either. Kinda spoiled a great game.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Scheifele had two options as he was racing back to prevent Evans from putting the puck into the empty net: reach with his stick to block the wraparound or hit him before he could score. Giving Scheifele the benefit of the doubt -- which I don't, but let's be objective for a minute -- he chose to hit Evans, and by doing so he puts himself under scrutiny for a charging penalty because of the distance he traveled. Plus, it was crystal clear what Evans was going to do; it wasn't like Scheifele had a split second to identify that Evans had a chance to score. He was chugging up the ice with all this time to plan his response.

Objectively, the hit itself looks clean: no elbow, head not the principal point of contact, didn't leave his feet (I always think this is an absurd statement). But the ability to objectively pin a charging major on him opens the door wide open for Parros, at least in theory, to come down hard on Scheifele for what was blatantly obvious: he wanted to blow up Evans rather than prevent an EN goal in the last minute of the game.

I'm not saying that hit should be allowed. All I'm saying is the charging rule is so poorly and vaguely written that you can't point to a specific thing and say, that's exactly why he should be suspended. We all know that hit has no place in the game but they have done nothing to really write it out of the game.

Beyond that the NHL seems to care very little about intent I situations like this. I agree MS just wanted to blow Evans up but it wouldn't be hard for him to argue that he was trying to beat him to the corner of the net and to separate him from the puck. Plus he could argue if he continues to stride until the point of contact and reaches to make a stick play there would still be a very violent collision but with both players in a vulnerable spot.

I think the persistent that the NHL has set indicates they don't think this is an egregious charge. A major yes and possibly a fine but not a major suspension. The Wilson-Schenn hit you mentioned only resulted in a major and a fine and there were more issues you could point too that were clearly wrong with the hit.

I would like to see the rule rewritten so intentional contact above a certain speed (which can be easily tracked now) is automatically a suspendable offense. Because if there isn't something black and white written into that charging rule its just to murky for the DoPS to make the correct common sense decision.

P.S. The wild card is how the DoPS wildly reacts to there being an injury to the hit player. That combined with the optics of the stretcher coming out could massively sway the outcome of this suspension. Which by itself is a huge issue to me. The suspension of the hitter should be based entirely on their intent and action and not the resulting injury. MS should be taught a lesson based on his shitty actions regardless of the severity of injury to Evans. MS shouldn't get a lighter suspension if Evans had seen him coming and bailed out of the play.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
...by the laws of Physics.

Still, it's a hit that doesn't have a place in the game, and especially not now.
If he arrives a tenth of a second earlier, he prevents a goal and it's a great play. If he reaches out with his stick a poke checks the puck off of Evans' stick, he still blows him up, but it's a great play.

Reactions: Asnito

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
This feels like the argument basically comes down to two groups saying.

"That is a disgusting hit and common sense dictates it should clearly be a suspension"

And

"That is a disgusting hit and I wish the DoPS/the NHL had enough common sense that it should clearly be a suspension."

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
Nope. Your pic is after the hit as other have said. Look at Scheifele's feet here

upload_2021-6-3_11-56-11-png.442738
I stand corrected, but if you watch the replay he is launching himself into the hit. Remember when Ovi was always launching himself into his hits they started giving him charging calls to deter it. I still think he will get the five games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I stand corrected, but if you watch the replay he is launching himself into the hit. Remember when Ovi was always launching himself into his hits they started giving him charging calls to deter it. I still think he will get the five games.
He will get 2 games, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad