Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LIX: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and oh the #13 Lottery Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Hitting a guy who is in mid wrap-around is attempting at preventing a goal. Screenshots from a split second play make it seem later than it was.

If the league wants to punish guys for hitting too hard, it should clarify criteria on the matter.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Haven't seen Saad play like this in longtime

He is going to several good offers as FA this summer based on his play in the playoffs and how thin the market is for potential impact players

He would be good target for Oilers if they have cap to ride shotgun with McDavid or Draisatl honestly his two way game would be big for them and he is good for 20-30 goals

Reactions: Rebels57

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 10.58.39 PM.png
Completely legal. Every single part of it.

You can argue how necessary it is, but that shouldn't mean shit when deciding if he should be punished.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hitting a guy who is in mid wrap-around is attempting at preventing a goal. Screenshots from a split second play make it seem later than it was.

If the league wants to punish guys for hitting too hard, it should clarify criteria on the matter.

No matter what the topic is, someone always chimes in with a terrible opinion like this. Its truly amazing.

Reactions: BiggE

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I see the Lindsay nominees are McDavid, Matthews and.... Crosby?

It's almost like the players picked McDavid and Matthews as obvious choices and then just wrote down other names of star players at random.

I'm actually curious to see how these votes played out. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Avs benefitted tremendously that MacKinnon did not live up to expectations coming into his most recent contract.

I will use this example to believe that Nolan Patrick will be the second most exciting player in the league after signing a cheap mid length contract with the Flyers. :sarcasm:

His production plateaued a bit his first four years into the league before taking off to what he is now. He signed his deal with 63P/82GP, 38P/64Gp, & 52P/72GP seasons under his belt.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The Avs benefitted tremendously that MacKinnon did not live up to expectations coming into his most recent contract.

I will use this example to believe that Nolan Patrick will be the second most exciting player in the league after signing a cheap mid length contract with the Flyers. :sarcasm:

Funny enough, I have never thought once to compare Nolan and MacKinnon. :sarcasm:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
His production plateaued a bit his first four years into the league before taking off to what he is now. He signed his deal with 63P/82GP, 38P/64Gp, & 52P/72GP seasons under his belt.

Funny enough, I have never thought once to compare Nolan and MacKinnon. :sarcasm:
That was a very serious post and I demand that you take it seriously, as well. :p:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just heard Evans has a history with head injuries too. Awful.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That was a very serious post and I demand that you take it seriously, as well. :p:

I was just talking from a MacKinnon standpoint as it’s been brought up recently. Even his fourth year & first year into the contract probably had people questioning it then as he put 53P/82GP but the next season he jumped to 97P/74GP & never looked back.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
He made no effort to prevent a goal there which if he was intending to do that he would have tried to use his stick to prevent goal or tried to block puck with his body

The entire intent of that hit was to take out Evans and had nothing to do with puck.. he was throwing a fit in penalty box minutes earlier upset with call against him and generally was being taken out of game by Perry and other Habs all night

That hit was him taking out his frustration on Evans and was a cowardly chickenshit hit that has no place in game

He should be suspended for rest of this series at very least
lol

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There is no purpose for that hit other than to severely injure a player in a vulnerable position. Scheifele didn't stride in the frame, but charging doesn't actually require an immediate stride, unlike most people think. "Stride" isn't even a word in the rule. He skated the length of the ice ("distance" is a word in the rule) at top gear before late gliding into a textbook "violent" hit on a stationary player. That's stomach churning and shows total lack of regard for another human being. You will not convince me hockey is not a worse place because of a hit like that. Nope.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
This sums it up pretty well. You're taught to use your body to separate someone from the puck, not throw a poke check. It's a brutal hit, that probably deserves a suspension, but saying he should be suspended for the series is crazy

If the hit had occurred 0.1 second earlier that puck wouldn't have gone in. People keep making it sound like Scheifele was 10 feet away from him when the puck crossed the line.

I don't like the end result at all but when you see a player coming at you like that you are supposed to bail to avoid the hit, brace, or get rid of the puck earlier way earlier.

I wish Scheifele had held up but I also wish Evans hadn't made a suicide play knowing he was going to get flattened.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There is no purpose for that hit other than to severely injure a player in a vulnerable position. Scheifele didn't stride in the frame, but charging doesn't actually require an immediate stride, unlike most people think. "Stride" isn't even a word in the rule. He skated the length of the ice ("distance" is a word in the rule) at top gear before late gliding into a textbook "violent" hit on a stationary player. That's stomach churning and shows total lack of regard for another human being. You will not convince me hockey is not a worse place because of a hit like that. Nope.

That fact that some people here cant figure this out is both completely unsurprising and still completely dissapointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad