Minor League Affiliates

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
I was 12 when I saw my only Olympic hockey there, and it was a weird environment in the aftermath of 9/11... but the arena in Provo I think was too small, the other one might work but the Grizzlies play there, not sure if that would be an issue for an AHL team. The Cow Palace just got redone in San Fran too for the failed Bulls team and that wouldn't be a bad choice either, I don't think. Talking Stick was a disaster for the Coyotes but could be a good venue for an AHL team.

I personally think it would be really sweet to have the kids in town too, I don't know enough about the bad blood that went down between the Wranglers and Boyd to know if it would be a viable option but the Orleans Arena could work out just fine.

Just spitballing here, I might be talking completely out of my ass.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Cow Palace just got redone in San Fran too for the failed Bulls team and that wouldn't be a bad choice either, I don't think.

When the Bulls declared bankruptcy, most of the "additions"/improvements were removed and sold to help cover payments due.

It's even worse than before. (And the old seats are even worse after another few years of wear/tear.)

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
If San Fransisco is getting a team (I hope someday) stay away from the Cow Palace.

Maybe the Chase Center could be used? Or perhaps they could build a new minor league building nearby that does not suck ass like the Cow Palace.

I'd go with Fresno/Sacramento imo

leave SF/Oakland for the Sharks and the leftover team can be picked up by a late comer to the California division.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If San Fransisco is getting a team (I hope someday) stay away from the Cow Palace.

Maybe the Chase Center could be used? Or perhaps they could build a new minor league building nearby that does not suck ass like the Cow Palace.

I'd go with Fresno/Sacramento imo

leave SF/Oakland for the Sharks and the leftover team can be picked up by a late comer to the California division.

Bay Area is "too small" to add another (minor league) hockey team in SF or OAK, 45 miles or less from the Barracuda. (Unless you want to hemorrhage $$)

Maybe in 100 years there would be enough demand for another hockey team.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
I'm thinking 5 -25 years after the one market gets a team. And I'm accepting the possibility the Barracuda could move.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I mean...how often are AHL games televised?

Time Warner in Milwaukee used to show Milwaukee Admirals games on tape delay. You might see Friday night's game on Tuesday morning. I would always catch a game that I had been at (I had 1/2 season tickets) rather than one I didn't see. I switched cable providers about 5 years ago, so I don't know if they are still doing the broadcasts.

The Chicago Wolves used to broadcast over the air every game that they played in Milwaukee, which was usually six a season. (I assume that they did other games) The TV timeouts were annoying. Some Milwaukee fans would bring signs to heckle the Wolves, their fans and even the TV audience. Ah, the good old days!

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
It wouldnt be fair to the players having an AHL team in the bay area. Lots of players make less than 100k a year and thats basically what it takes to live somewhat comfortably there (aka not having to live with 2-3 others players)

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
it's not like they be moving far if they were to go to SF/Oakland.

Plenty of teams are in areas with high cost of living. And there are ways around that.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://mynews4.com/news/local/council-approves-next-step-in-bringing-pro-hockey-to-reno

The city council on Wednesday approved the RSCVA and Reno Puck Club, LLC can begin negotiations in order to bring a minor league hockey team to Reno.
The Reno Puck Club is hoping to negotiate a deal with the RSCVA to take over operations and management of the Reno Events Center, which would be home to the ice rink, and invest $5.7 million in improvements.

According to Lehner, the ice would be installed beneath the existing floor to allow the venue to continue to be used for concerts and the Reno Bighorns. They would also invest in other renovations.

Might be a future ECHL affiliate

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
For some reason, I like the Salt Lake City Sinners. It would be an interesting (and ironic) contrast to the Las Vegas Archangels (or Las Vegas Lords).

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
So, now that the Golden Knights are a thing, do you guys see them making an AHL affiliate or sharing a Pacific Division team?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So, now that the Golden Knights are a thing, do you guys see them making an AHL affiliate or sharing a Pacific Division team?

Rumors have it we're working with an existing team and that the AHL team wont be shared.

I haven't heard anything lately though.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
But where? The only places I can see are Reno, Sacramento, or Fresno.

East coast for now. I'm trying to find the source, but I seem to remember Binghamton. Of course, nothing is solid and I'm giving fourth hand info, but that's what I remember someone saying. Probably sinbin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad