Minor League Affiliates

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Murray Craven confirmed yesterday that the AHL team will be announced by Christmas and the ECHL team will be shared with at least one other organization.

Where do you guys think each will end up?

http://sinbin.vegas/las-vegas-will-have-ahl-affiliate-by-christmas-share-echl-team/

I think Glendale would make a great home for your AHL team. Closer than any of the other cities mentioned, good level of support for hockey and they will be looking for an anchor tenant for GRA next year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Glendale California or Arizona?

Cause why would an AHL team work where an NHL team is barely working?

wloff

May 25, 2013
I have to admit though, "The AHL is such a good league now, probably the second best league in the world" quote made me chuckle a little bit.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Salt Lake City would be interesting.

The contrast between Las Vegas and SLC would be stark, however. :naughty:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think SLC would be cool too. I know there's the Utah Grizzlies out there but it never made sense to me that hockey wasn't more prominent.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think SLC would be cool too. I know there's the Utah Grizzlies out there but it never made sense to me that hockey wasn't more prominent.

Utah was one of our big rivals in the IHL. Once that league went away the whole western half of the country lost that level of hockey until the AHL made the California move.

Salt Lake is just like Vegas in that regard, if the AHL came in to fill the void left by the IHL right afterwards both SLC and LV likely would have had AHL teams for fifteen years. Assuming they had a place to play, that is.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think it really fits into what (I'm hoping) the team's regional sports network plans are, as well.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Fresno or Reno would be ideal for me. Allegiant flies direct to both so I could scope out some games on the cheap. Salt Lake City too. Theres a pretty big hockey base there as I grew up traveling to massive tournaments held there.

It would also guarantee a well conditioned AHL squad lol.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I mean...how often are AHL games televised?

I don't mean that. I mean hooking up with Root Sports Utah. Getting the AHL team in Salt Lake would likely help viewership since there would be a local connection that wouldn't otherwise exist. Plus, they cover most of our designated media territory. Added bonus: Root Sports Northwest apparently broadcasts the Jazz into Washington and Oregon. Perhaps they'd do the same for Vegas hockey.

Root Sports is who I want.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I mean...how often are AHL games televised?

Depends on the market.

I recall that AHL Worcester had a handful of games on local channel. But AHL San Jose hasn't had any. (But ECHL SF did have some)

I can imagine that Hershey might have a few games broadcast.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
What do people think about an existing ECHL franchise being promoted to the AHL and affiliating with Vegas? Rapid City Rush would be a good candidate because their affiliation with the Arizona Coyotes expires at the end of this coming season.

Thoughts?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
What do people think about an existing ECHL franchise being promoted to the AHL and affiliating with Vegas? Rapid City Rush would be a good candidate because their affiliation with the Arizona Coyotes expires at the end of this coming season.

Thoughts?

ECHL franchise worth and operating expense < AHL franchise

Plus, it's not like you "get" anything back from ECHL franchise if you "drop" it, and you have to pay $$$$$$$ to the AHL to get a franchise.

So, you need to find an owner willing to increase financial investment (and/or raise tickets), to start with.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
ECHL franchise worth and operating expense < AHL franchise

Plus, it's not like you "get" anything back from ECHL franchise if you "drop" it, and you have to pay $$$$$$$ to the AHL to get a franchise.

So, you need to find an owner willing to increase financial investment (and/or raise tickets), to start with.

Yes, I get all of that. There are entrance fees. It just seems that, if workable, promoting an existing franchise may be a better option than expanding the AHL.

Of course, the best option (most affordable) would be to affiliate with an existing AHL franchise out west whose affiliation agreement has expired.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Yes, I get all of that. There are entrance fees. It just seems that, if workable, promoting an existing franchise may be a better option than expanding the AHL.

Of course, the best option (most affordable) would be to affiliate with an existing AHL franchise out west whose affiliation agreement has expired.

It doesn't really work that way. A new team with a new affiliate brings almost 100% turnover even if there was a team in another league the year before. An AHL team is going to use completely different players and coaches and has a far different strategy from an ECHL team. The AHL has priorities handed down from the parent club that are centered around keeping certain players prepared and ready to plug into the NHL team. ECHL is focused on developing players to some degree, but also being an effective business operation.

I knew a few in the Wranglers organization who openly talked about how different it would be if they were AHL. Many of the quirks and players they had were only because of the ECHL. They would never have signed the Ferraro brothers for example. Winning is important at the ECHL because the parent club is putting little investment in. At the AHL the parent pays the bills for the most part and expects you to just be a complementary part of the organization. Also note the playoffs in the AHL are nothing like the ECHL. NHL clubs going to the playoffs will pick off a handful of key players just in case. ECHL teams may lose a player or two late in the season, but the playoffs squad is largely in tact.

Just different operations and mindsets and that's why everything will turn over beyond just the players if switching between leagues.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
It doesn't really work that way. A new team with a new affiliate brings almost 100% turnover even if there was a team in another league the year before. An AHL team is going to use completely different players and coaches and has a far different strategy from an ECHL team. The AHL has priorities handed down from the parent club that are centered around keeping certain players prepared and ready to plug into the NHL team. ECHL is focused on developing players to some degree, but also being an effective business operation.

I knew a few in the Wranglers organization who openly talked about how different it would be if they were AHL. Many of the quirks and players they had were only because of the ECHL. They would never have signed the Ferraro brothers for example. Winning is important at the ECHL because the parent club is putting little investment in. At the AHL the parent pays the bills for the most part and expects you to just be a complementary part of the organization. Also note the playoffs in the AHL are nothing like the ECHL. NHL clubs going to the playoffs will pick off a handful of key players just in case. ECHL teams may lose a player or two late in the season, but the playoffs squad is largely in tact.

Just different operations and mindsets and that's why everything will turn over beyond just the players if switching between leagues.

Cool. Thank you for the information.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->