Minor League Affiliates

Jun 6, 2016
East coast for now. I'm trying to find the source, but I seem to remember Binghamton. Of course, nothing is solid and I'm giving fourth hand info, but that's what I remember someone saying. Probably sinbin.

Foley and GMGM have said recently in interviews it's an independent team no affiliate at the moment. So everyone narrowed the list to Binghamton and some club in Chicago??

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Rumors have it we're working with an existing team and that the AHL team wont be shared.

I haven't heard anything lately though.

Chicago has always been a team with a really independent streak. I don't know where their affiliation with St. Louis is at but they may be willing to strike a deal with Vegas and retain some of that independence.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
SLC makes perfect sense..... any player that went to Vegas for the party life will play their butt off not to get sent to Utah. Maximum effort every game :naughty:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

The only thing I've read so far names it as a possibility and not a done deal. In his 30 thoughts Elliott Friedman connected a couple of dots and said it was a possibility (I think it was #28 - With St. Louis moving their affiliate to Kansas City) but he didn't say it was a go. All he said was that Chicago would be looking for a new "parent" team to make a deal with.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The only thing I've read so far names it as a possibility and not a done deal. In his 30 thoughts Elliott Friedman connected a couple of dots and said it was a possibility (I think it was #28 - With St. Louis moving their affiliate to Kansas City) but he didn't say it was a go. All he said was that Chicago would be looking for a new "parent" team to make a deal with.
Having players come up from Chicago would be great for me. I've still got family out there that could keep an eye on things. :laugh:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Having players come up from Chicago would be great for me. I've still got family out there that could keep an eye on things. :laugh:

I've heard this connection made a couple of times and it would be an interesting one. The only thing with Chicago is that they like an older lineup and if Vegas goes the draft and develop route there could be a clash of philosophies.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've heard this connection made a couple of times and it would be an interesting one. The only thing with Chicago is that they like an older lineup and if Vegas goes the draft and develop route there could be a clash of philosophies.

So the Wolves put a couple of older journeymen on the roster under their own contracts, no biggie. Chicago is certainly a renegade team in the IHL/AHL world, but it works well until we get SLC or Reno up.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008

*Bangs head against keyboard*

There is a veteran limit to the AHL. Even if the Wolves did continue to sign veterans like they did in 2007-08, they can only play six "veterans" per night.

I'll let the AHL explain:
Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.†Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

So the Wolves are more than welcome to load up the locker room with as many old veterans they want. Only six of them can dress per game.

How much learning do you do when you sit and break down losing game footage every night? "Gee, you defended this guy well, but he still scored and we lost. Do even better next time."

Wouldn't a veteran presence to mentor the young player and have them be on a winning team be a better option?

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
With St. Louis moving from Chicago to KC there is an opportunity for Vegas to work with the Wolves.

St. Louis will not be moving to KC. AHL President announced this morning in the AHL Hall of Fame induction. St. Louis will either renew their AHL affiliation with the Chicago Wolves or leave the Wolves at the end of this season and end up in San Antonio (Colorado will get the AHL 31st franchise and move somewhere in Colorado).

If St. Louis leaves Chicago for San Antonio, then Vegas will move in the Chicago. If St. Louis stays in Chicago, then Vegas will end up in San Antonio.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
I plan on following Vegas starting next year so I would absolutely love for it to be SLC. My house is right next to a Trax train stop that would get me to the Maverick center and I could drink as much as I want at the games. I would instantly buy season tickets, I can't stand watching the Grizzlies play and miss the Golden Eagles.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I plan on following Vegas starting next year so I would absolutely love for it to be SLC. My house is right next to a Trax train stop that would get me to the Maverick center and I could drink as much as I want at the games. I would instantly buy season tickets, I can't stand watching the Grizzlies play and miss the Golden Eagles.

I'm hoping for SLC for sure. Hated the Grizzlies when we had the Thunder, glad they'll get to be our minor league. :laugh:

Plus, I think it would be great to pick up some Utah fans.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well I was floating around the idea of placing the Knights' ECHL affiliate in Atlantic City, because of what that city has in common with Las Vegas. What would you think of that idea?

I'd hope they'd put it somewhere a little closer. I'm sure ECHL people don't care too much about the parent club when they select their preferred NHL team, but for those that do I'd like to have some regional connection and potentially television coverage.

So, I'm hoping AHL and ECHL both wind up in Northern Nevada, Utah, or Idaho when it's all said and done.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I'd hope they'd put it somewhere a little closer. I'm sure ECHL people don't care too much about the parent club when they select their preferred NHL team, but for those that do I'd like to have some regional connection and potentially television coverage.

So, I'm hoping AHL and ECHL both wind up in Northern Nevada, Utah, or Idaho when it's all said and done.

I just assumed it was given that Reno would be the ECHL affiliate, starting in October 2018. The framework is there:

http://thisisreno.com/2016/12/council-approves-agreement-minor-league-hockey-events-center/

A 10-year agreement to bring a minor league hockey team to the Reno Events Center and turn management of the facility over to the Reno Puck Club was approved Wednesday by the Reno City Council.

A hockey team would begin play in fall 2018 and add about 40 events per year to the venue.

All the quotes from management indicate that they won't have enough players to fill an ECHL roster on their own during the first season, but Reno's team arriving in Year 2 seems to fit the timeline quite well.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

Geographical closeness is all the rage of late. Kings realigned with Ontario CA, and the Ducks in San Diego, and it offers advantages of execs being able to easily attend their games as well as moving players to the big club in time for call-ups.

What would make sense is somewhere in SoCal, which is relatively close to Vegas time-wise with a drive or short flight. Or maybe Bakersfield, which is a little over 3 hours. Problem is usually the rink of course.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Geographical closeness is all the rage of late. Kings realigned with Ontario CA, and the Ducks in San Diego, and it offers advantages of execs being able to easily attend their games as well as moving players to the big club in time for call-ups.

What would make sense is somewhere in SoCal, which is relatively close to Vegas time-wise with a drive or short flight. Or maybe Bakersfield, which is a little over 3 hours. Problem is usually the rink of course.

Bakersfield is owned by the Oilers. Fresno has an arena and no team. That may make sense.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Bakersfield is owned by the Oilers. Fresno has an arena and no team. That may make sense.

AHL looks to be Chicago, I don't see the Blues going elsewhere, even to San Antonio, and it has been discussed heavily that Colorado isn't keen on owning or operating a team, at either level....

nothing is changing unless something has been missed since Lehigh Valley and the AHL isn't expanding next season, because they would've had a proposal submitted behind the scenes and released that when the KC Mavericks fiasco occurred....

where the Blues do go after 16/17 isn't publically known or truly confirmed....

ECHL doesn't seem too keen either on expansion front despite the losses of Alaska and Elmira, and Vegas must have missed the league deadline to submit a proposal for 2017/18...

Reno has been a running gag line since the merger of the WCHL and ECHL.....

I think we're still waiting to see how long SVSE can manage 2 hockey teams and the other ancillary events that happen at SAP Center, they said the Barracuda were only a temporary stopgap measure before shifting them within the Sharks territory, whether it be their practice facility et all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad