GDT: Minnows vs. Maple Leafs 7:30pm NBCSCA

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Friendly reminder that Couture has 0 goals, 1 assist, -8 in his last 6 games.

He seems pretty invisable without Hertl. Atleast Meier is noticeable when he isn't producing. I honestly questioned whether or not he left tonight's game.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Next time we play Toronto is on the 2nd of back of back after playing Buffalo the night before. So we'll probably be looking ahead to the Leafs game and get murdered by Buffalo only to get murdered the next night by Toronto anyway.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Superstud propping up mediocre coaching?
YAGpXPd.png

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Right now I am confused as to whether every team has forwards with more finish or Jones is really as bad as we make him out to be. I don't think the sharks have ever had a goalie that gives up a goal 9 out of every 10 "high danger" shots
hockey-reference has some goalie stats that aren't really used elsewhere like Quality Start Percentage, GSAA, etc. Jones has been extremely no bueno this year and relative to other years.

Martin Jones Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
2018-19 NHL Goalie Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
At this point it's coaching right? Because we do p good in the 1rst then after the adjustments are made we usually get our teeth kicked in.

Not sure if this is coaching or players but there were so many times I saw not one, but two Leafs skaters standing in the neutral zone waiting for and receiving passes leading to really good scoring chances.

Like @Pinkfloyd said earlier we are playing an aggressive style of hockey. Its exposing our goalie to chances and he has obviously not been the best goalie against those.

I remember a few years back when we used to play a D first style of hockey the games were a lot more boring but yielded better results. This year has no doubt been more exciting and high scoring but the results have not been consistent. We need to go back to the boring D first style and try to push the play by quick short passes to force our offense.

Not sure how patient DW is going to be to see if PDB can sort this out but if we are playing sloppy D by mid-season, I am going to be concerned. People were blaming EK65 for our D problems but he is far from the issue.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
I worry more that our sucking will lead to Karlsson walking to a less dysfuctional team if we end up firing DeBoer, trading Jones, etc.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yep and it’s a great sign Deboer hasn’t been extended. DW is obsessed with past cup winners, Quenville is a winner. I think he’s taking his time for a reason and SJ is an opportunity I think he’d jump on
I asked this last game or maybe a couple games ago and don't recall getting an answer. I forgot if it was you and I who had this discussion or someone else and myself, but do we know that DeBoer is definitely a free agent after this year and a lame duck head coach as of right now? We may not have even heard if he was extended (not that this means he can't be fired) and here's another thing.

DeBoer got a 4 year deal from the Sharks when he was signed 3 years ago. That much was made public and I'm sure if someone wants to look it up, the initial articles will confirm this. But he also had one more year left on his contract with the Devils when he was fired. His contract with the Devils ran until the end of 2015-2016, which was his first year here.

So my question is for his 4 year deal, did that include his last year with the Devils + 3 more years here? Or was that 4 years here + his last remaining year with the Devils, which would be 5 years in total, thus not making him a free agent/expiring contract until after the 2019-2020 season? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Sadly, I think this team's window closes after this year.

I think it was already closed at the conclusion of 2016-2017, but it opened back up with the Karlsson trade. Pavelski is UFA after this year, Karlsson may or may not be extended, Thornton probably has one more year left after this at the very most? I doubt he plays past 19-20. If he does, he may not be as useful anymore.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I remember how proud Deboer was that he was able to mimic Vegas' system. When are we going to get a coach that can make his own system that doesn't suck? :huh:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I worry more that our sucking will lead to Karlsson walking to a less dysfuctional team if we end up firing DeBoer, trading Jones, etc.
Honestly, cannot worry about that right now. Only thing that the team needs to focus on is figuring out how to fix their D. They do that and start playing well and everything including the EK65 situation will fall into place.

Whether they do that with our without PDB this year would have little affect on Karlsson's decision. As long as the fix it

Reactions: Phu

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
If this is our measuring stick we have work. They dont even have two of their better players. And we are at home on rest. And they are playing the second in two nights. I expected a better showing.

Karlsson is looking more comfortable though and thats great.

Maybe next game we can figure out how to play the middle 20.

They did not play the 2nd on 2 nights, both teams last played two nights ago. And we missed one of our if not out most important forward two. Not trying to sugarcoat anything, but facts are facts.

Reactions: LeftHeartInSF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad