GDT: Minnows vs. Maple Leafs 7:30pm NBCSCA

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
DeBoer actually sent Badrow out to go after Kadri at the start of the game... If you’re going to send someone out to fight someone for some minor stuff from a year ago knowing he’s probably just going to turtle and draw a penalty for it... why Badrow lol....cripes...

Sure showed them not to mess with us lol...
Was dumb for sure.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Its always easy to blame the players because when individuals make mistakes they are easy to spot. But for most of the part the individuals have been in poor positions because of the style/system they have been asked to play.

When we win the system works. When we lose, its the players.
Really? What about the rest of the season where we’re giving up breakaways and odd man rushes like Halloween candy? We’re playing high risk hockey and it’s biting us in the ass against faster teams like Toronto. We don’t have the horses to play this style of hockey and that’s on the coaching staff to adjust.

Going to disagree.

When we win the system works. When we lose, its the players.[/QUOTE]

"My boss is such a loser! Waaaaaaahhhhh!"

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Why even send anyone out to fight Kadri? That seemed totally unnecessary. Joe handled himself just fine when he fought him last year and he doesn’t even have the beard anymore. I would prefer someone be sent out to fight Boedker since he’s the one who took out Joe’s knee.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm mocking the knee-jerk HFB response to a terrible game - it's the coach's fault.
I think you are on a completely different page if you think this is the response to JUST the last game. Go back and watch the last 10 games and don't worry about what the end result was but actually how our defensive structure has been through the games.

If you are satisfied with the level/style of our play, then that is your prerogative. A lot of us are most certainly not happy about the system/style in place. You are simply dismissing our complaints about the coaching and style and in turn blaming the players. If I were to response to your quote in the same way as you did, my response would be.

"My workers are such losers!! WAAAAH!!!!"

Reactions: WSS11

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I think you are on a completely different page if you think this is the response to JUST the last game. Go back and watch the last 10 games and don't worry about what the end result was but actually how our defensive structure has been through the games.

If you are satisfied with the level/style of our play, then that is your prerogative. A lot of us are most certainly not happy about the system/style in place. You are simply dismissing our complaints about the coaching and style and in turn blaming the players. If I were to response to your quote in the same way as you did, my response would be.

"My workers are such losers!! WAAAAH!!!!"
Uh-huh.

Think about every time a coach is fired. Does any player ever say "Ya, coach Smith was awful. We're well rid of him."? Never. It's always "We're the problem. It's our fault coach Smith is gone.". Always.

Why is that? Are they all liars? Are they all just so pleasant they wouldn't dream of uttering a disparaging word about a departed individual? Or maybe a collection of internet warriors, a good portion of whom haven't skated in a game in their lives, has it all figured out?

Are their good, bad, and mediocre coaches? Of course. But not one of them has ever made the outrageously poor plays we were subjected to last night, and far too often at other times this season.

They played like shit. Stop with this "system" nonsense. The system most perfectly suited to the Sharks' personnel, whatever that might be, wouldn't have salvaged them last night.

But keep on deluding yourselves if it pleases you.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Uh-huh.

Think about every time a coach is fired. Does any player ever say "Ya, coach Smith was awful. We're well rid of him."? Never. It's always "We're the problem. It's our fault coach Smith is gone.". Always.

Why is that? Are they all liars? Are they all just so pleasant they wouldn't dream of uttering a disparaging word about a departed individual? Or maybe a collection of internet warriors, a good portion of whom haven't skated in a game in their lives, has it all figured out?

Are their good, bad, and mediocre coaches? Of course. But not one of them has ever made the outrageously poor plays we were subjected to last night, and far too often at other times this season.

They played like ****. Stop with this "system" nonsense. The system most perfectly suited to the Sharks' personnel, whatever that might be, wouldn't have salvaged them last night.

But keep on deluding yourselves if it pleases you.

Wow. Well arguing with you makes little sense after this post because apparently unless the players come out and say that the coach is responsible for the teams problems, coaching/system is never the problem and that the blame lies entirely on the players. Sure. I will stop right here.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Why even send anyone out to fight Kadri? That seemed totally unnecessary. Joe handled himself just fine when he fought him last year and he doesn’t even have the beard anymore. I would prefer someone be sent out to fight Boedker since he’s the one who took out Joe’s knee.
Who knows what has been done and said behind the scenes. There's probably more to it than any of us know. Or maybe Pete was trying to ruffle feathers and have the team play with an edge. It worked for a bit, then the team either really hit the buffet or the bottle hard between the 1st and the 2nd.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Wow. Well arguing with you makes little sense after this post because apparently unless the players come out and say that the coach is responsible for the teams problems, coaching/system is never the problem and that the blame lies entirely on the players. Sure. I will stop right here.

Yah, you can't argue with that.

To answer his question, yes, they are lying. That's what you do in a profession environment. You lie, it's polite.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
One regular season loss to Toronto leads to more trolling on our board than a playoff loss to Vegas, LAK, Pittsburgh, etc.

And they wonder why people enjoy it when they fail.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yah, you can't argue with that.

To answer his question, yes, they are lying. That's what you do in a profession environment. You lie, it's polite.

You know what the ironic part in this is. When teams go through slumps and players and coaches are asked questions about whats wrong, they generally blame themselves. I have, not once, heard PDB say that any of the teams failures are coaching related. Whether that be the PP, 5 on 5, team D or whatever. The players are doing the right thing by saying that they need to get improve and get better. But apparently our coaches are perfect.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
"The system" didn't fail last night. That **** show was entirely on the players.

I do want to agree with you that you can't let the players off the hook. Perhaps you can blame a 2-on-1 on a bad system...but letting the pass get across is 100% on the defenseman. You could partly argue that Marner picked off Pavelski because DeBoer's strategy was predictable, but you can also blame Pavelski for trying the cutesy play. By the same metric, it is Kane's fault for getting stripped up the puck, or Labanc's for making a blind pass, or Karlsson's for losing his balance...you can always blame the coach for putting players in certain positions with different degrees of validity, but don't let the players off the hook.

As another example, people are talking about how the defense is getting caught up the ice. But the only two I see it consistently happening to is Burns and Vlasic...it has always happened with the former; that's the downside of his game and comes with the territory. While you could argue that maybe Vlasic is being instructed by DeBoer to take more chances, but we've also speculated that it is his own doing and that he has simply regressed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I do want to agree with you that you can't let the players off the hook. Perhaps you can blame a 2-on-1 on a bad system...but letting the pass get across is 100% on the defenseman. You could partly argue that Marner picked off Pavelski because DeBoer's strategy was predictable, but you can also blame Pavelski for trying the cutesy play. By the same metric, it is Kane's fault for getting stripped up the puck, or Labanc's for making a blind pass, or Karlsson's for losing his balance...you can always blame the coach for putting players in certain positions with different degrees of validity, but don't let the players off the hook.

As another example, people are talking about how the defense is getting caught up the ice. But the only two I see it consistently happening to is Burns and Vlasic...it has always happened with the former; that's the downside of his game and comes with the territory. While you could argue that maybe Vlasic is being instructed by DeBoer to take more chances, but we've also speculated that it is his own doing and that he has simply regressed.

You're not paying attention enough then because I've seen it happen to Karlsson, Ryan, Dillon, and Braun quite regularly as well.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->