Minnesota Wild General Discussion XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Do we know that for sure? And it can certainly have an effect on the timing of a buy out is my point.
He's more likely to be bought out if he doesn't waive than if he does, as others here seem to be making clear.

And yes we know for sure. Players cannot lose their NMC, they can just choose to use it in a situation or not.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Guerin basically said he's prepared to lose a good player. If he has some class, and I believe he does, he won't ask any of the NMC guys to change their contract and waive so he can protect another player instead. And players agents will not recommend it unless a player actually wants to move to a specific team.

And a Parise buyout now is unlikely because of the heavy cap penalty. A retirement deal is more realistic, if Parise feels like he's done.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
He's more likely to be bought out if he doesn't waive than if he does, as others here seem to be making clear.

And yes we know for sure. Players cannot lose their NMC, they can just choose to use it in a situation or not.

Somehow this turned into a Parise-specific scenario but in general, a player waiving his right pre-expansion draft is a benefit to the GM and the team, not the player. It could just as easily result in a butterfly effect where the extra roster flexibility creates a move or two that makes the player easier to buy out post ED. But whatever.....thanks for clarifying the timing. Seems odd that a player can turn it off an on but it does create a way more useful tool for the player.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Do we know that for sure? And it can certainly have an effect on the timing of a buy out is my point.

Yes. It is a long standing myth that once you waive you're clause, it's gone for ever. Best I can tell it stems from the Visnosky trade to long island, and the grievance that followed. But people misinterpreted what happened in that situation.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Somehow this turned into a Parise-specific scenario but in general, a player waiving his right pre-expansion draft is a benefit to the GM and the team, not the player. It could just as easily result in a butterfly effect where the extra roster flexibility creates a move or two that makes the player easier to buy out post ED. But whatever.....thanks for clarifying the timing. Seems odd that a player can turn it off an on but it does create a way more useful tool for the player.

It's not that weird depending upon how you think about it.

It's not a GM saying "can we trade you", it's the GM asking the player if they can make a specific move (in this specific case the move would be to expose them for expansion), and the player saying yes or no. That ability to say yes or no is in place for the full term of the of the clause.

Reactions: TaLoN

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Guerin basically said he's prepared to lose a good player. If he has some class, and I believe he does, he won't ask any of the NMC guys to change their contract and waive so he can protect another player instead. And players agents will not recommend it unless a player actually wants to move to a specific team.

And a Parise buyout now is unlikely because of the heavy cap penalty. A retirement deal is more realistic, if Parise feels like he's done.
How is it exactly a class-less move to ask vets on a team to waive for just the expansion draft to keep their teammates on the roster to strengthen the team so the Wild can go deeper into the playoffs?

If a vet would be offended by just the question, then they should be a waiver, buyout, or trade candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spurgeon

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
It's not that weird depending upon how you think about it.

It's not a GM saying "can we trade you", it's the GM asking the player if they can make a specific move (in this specific case the move would be to expose them for expansion), and the player saying yes or no. That ability to say yes or no is in place for the full term of the of the clause.

Yeah, maybe that is where I am too down in the weeds on this because I see it as the player waiving for the expansion draft and then that GM having a world of opportunity during that draft to swing any deal involving that player. But if a player has the ability to 'waive' and also dictate that I am only waiving my right to not be taken by Seattle in the draft then I guess it makes more sense. But I still get a little lost in the weeds as there is nothing stopping Seattle from moving that player in a separate deal during the draft.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018

Sounds like a bad move move IMO, I mean zucc is barely earning his salary not to mention his nmc for his performance this season so why not ask him to waive?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, maybe that is where I am too down in the weeds on this because I see it as the player waiving for the expansion draft and then that GM having a world of opportunity during that draft to swing any deal involving that player. But if a player has the ability to 'waive' and also dictate that I am only waiving my right to not be taken by Seattle in the draft then I guess it makes more sense. But I still get a little lost in the weeds as there is nothing stopping Seattle from moving that player in a separate deal during the draft.
It's a no move clause. No move can be made without the player's consent. Saying he waives for purposes of the expansion draft doesn't suddenly make a trade during that draft possible without his consent. He just consented to be exposed in the draft. If he were taken and then they wanted to trade him, they would then need to get his approval for the trade, as that's a completely different move from the one which he previously approved.

Reactions: HotDish

P10p

May 15, 2012
Sounds like a bad move move IMO, I mean zucc is barely earning his salary not to mention his nmc for his performance this season so why not ask him to waive?

Are you smoking something? Zucc is almost point per game.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Decided to go look at some fo the Wild Records (www.hockey-reference.com). Some of these are so telling about this franchise over the last 20 years.....

Hat Tricks
Gaborik - 9
Parise - 3
Nino/Granny/Zucks - 2
12 players with 1

Goals (all time)
Gaborik - 219
Koivu - 205
Parise - 199
Zucker - 132
Brunette - 119
Staal - 111

Assists (all time)
Koivu - 504
Suter - 312
PMB - 241

If you removed Gaborik, this team literally had zero scoring threat

Kirill Kaprizov Related
- He is now 72nd in the teams history for points at 36. He needs 69 tie for 49th (Parrish(142 games)/Sekeras (209 games).

- He is now 60th in the teams history for goals at 17. He needs 25 to enter a 3 way tie with Zucs (95 games), Chouinard (119 games) and Daigle (124 games). If he were to score 35 goals this season, he would already be tied for 36th with Parrish and Brodin (596 games).

- He is now 77th in the teams history for assists at 19. He needs 39 to tie Zucs for 50th All time.

Currently, KK has played 43 games.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Who comes out of the lineup when Bjugstad is ok to play? With everyone else healthy and playing well there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
EzV1pVbVoAEtO7Q

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
what is this stat meaning? that hes in the top 10 in saving goals that are very high percentage?
goals saved aboved expected evaluates how many goals a goalie saved above what he was expected to based on the shot quality he faced. The formula is simply expected goals against minus goals against. Unlike goals saved above average, goals saved above expected (GSAx) accounts for the quality of shots a goaltender faces and levels the playing field for goalies on good defensive teams and bad defensive teams.

Reactions: GuerinUp

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Hopefully Rask.
Judd's Hockey Show had the interesting suggestion to move Sturm up to Rask's spot. Sturm has less skill, but more athletic ability, so I would like to see it.

Parise-Bonino-Bjugstad as a 4th line should be effective.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If history is any indication, Sturm.

I'm going to hate it.
Who comes out of the lineup when Bjugstad is ok to play? With everyone else healthy and playing well there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice.

I will be stunned if Sturm is even moved from C. At this point, I can't see Bjugstad replacing anyone on the 4th or GEEF lines, as they are killing it. Messing with Bonino, Parise, and Sturm would be madness. Johansson or Rask are the only two that might get benched for Bjugstad, but as of now I think that Bjugstad sits, till someone gets an injury or illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad