Minnesota Wild General Discussion XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I really wish posters would stop saying this; one of the biggest downfalls of Fletcher's era was getting quality bottom 6 players like Foligno (and he overpaid to get).

He's somehow on pace for 27 goals this season (more than likely won't reach that total even if it was an 82 game season), but his pace last season at 15 goals isn't unfathomable for him to maintain. He's a valuable depth piece for Minnesota that is also well-liked in the locker room, provides some toughness and presence and is one of the best defensive forwards in the game. There are reasons why guys like Foligno are valuable even if they don't show up on the scoreboard.

I don't disagree with what you're saying in terms of Foligno's value, but a $3m 30+ year old bottom 6 winger isn't worth what you think it is despite Foligno being a valuable player on the ice when he does play and also in the locker room. Maybe they want veteran leadership on a young team, especially since they will likely have to build up their development pool as well... but I think they'd much rather have a young future 2nd line pairing D instead.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't disagree with what you're saying in terms of Foligno's value, but a $3m 30+ year old bottom 6 winger isn't worth what you think it is despite Foligno being a valuable player on the ice when he does play and also in the locker room.

Lars Eller is making 3.5 million, Riley Nash is making 2.75 million, Adam Lowry makes 2.916 million - Foligno deserves that much. It's not that uncommon for a good defensive forward to make around 2.5 - 3.5 million a year, especially if they provide elite defense.

Other contracts: Jasper Fest makes 2 million, Nick Bonino makes 4.1 million. Hell I think Johansson makes 4.5 million.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The loss of Foligno is relative to what we could be losing from other players. It’s not nothing, but Greenway would hurt more, Dumba would hurt more, Ek would hurt more. Soucy... probably roughly the same level, maybe slightly less.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Lars Eller is making 3.5 million, Riley Nash is making 2.75 million, Adam Lowry makes 2.916 million - Foligno deserves that much. It's not that uncommon for a good defensive forward to make around 2.5 - 3.5 million a year, especially if they provide elite defense.

Other contracts: Jasper Fest makes 2 million, Nick Bonino makes 4.1 million. Hell I think Johansson makes 4.5 million.

Sure. Foligno has never scored more than 13 goals or 23 points. He's a solid bottom 6 player. There's just no reason to prioritize protecting him. The Wild can pretty easily replace his value especially as they continue to add young talent such as Boldy/Rossi next year. Hartman is a fine alternative for the role Foligno would play in the event that Foligno gets nabbed.

You're pretty much looking at Foligno on the Wild 4th line if you're not willing to stick Parise there once Boldy/Rossi hit the lineup.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
We should just run a standard overload with Kaprizov/Fiala playing catch on the wall like Parise/Fiala did last year. Suter is one of the best point shooters in the league for tips and rebounds. Get Dumba out there as well for a cross ice one-time blast. We’re not generating nearly enough shots, we need to simplify it a lot. Ever since Evason took over, he’s talked about wanting a powerplay that can take a lot of different looks that has a ton of movement, which sounds exciting, but it hasn’t worked yet.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The loss of Foligno is relative to what we could be losing from other players. It’s not nothing, but Greenway would hurt more, Dumba would hurt more, Ek would hurt more. Soucy... probably roughly the same level, maybe slightly less.

Possibly; Ek definitely, Dumba is a possibly, Greenway is hit or miss.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I like the new first unit on the power play with Zuccarello, Kaprizov, Fiala, Ek and Suter.
Can't get much better...goals will come.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
We should just run a standard overload with Kaprizov/Fiala playing catch on the wall like Parise/Fiala did last year. Suter is one of the best point shooters in the league for tips and rebounds. Get Dumba out there as well for a cross ice one-time blast. We’re not generating nearly enough shots, we need to simplify it a lot. Ever since Evason took over, he’s talked about wanting a powerplay that can take a lot of different looks that has a ton of movement, which sounds exciting, but it hasn’t worked yet.

i stated this before the season started and got savaged for it.... granted i didnt have suter on the 1pp, i had spurg/forward(fiala) and dumba...

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Dumba is not “possibly” and Foligno is as much “hit or miss”.

There is not even a small argument that a bottom 6 30 year old who has never hit 25 points or 15 goals in his career (though he is good defensively, is physical, and a good leader) is worth more than Dumba/Ek/Greenway. Foligno has been great this season, again still as a bottom 6 player, but comments about Foligno being on pace for 30+ goals should be hedged against a career track record and his 31% shooting percentage this year.

If the other poster wants to bet on the 31% continuing at the expense of the few legit 25 and under top 6 / top 4 NHL caliber players that we currently have on our roster... well I'll just say that I'm glad that there's a different person who is GMing the Wild.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What we’re doing now is handicapped by the 5th lefty (Eriksson Ek). He’s no threat to do almost anything.

Zuccarello*

Eriksson Ek's role is to win the face off and go stand by the net while Kaprizov, Fiala do their thing. Zuccarello playing where there should be a right shot is what's limiting the options. He doesn't shoot, just passes it back to Suter.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Should really just run Kap below the goal line, Fiala half wall, Hartmann slot, suter top and dumba top of the circle. Hartmann clearly can win draws and fits the mold for right shot so our pp actually works properly.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Zuccarello*

Eriksson Ek's role is to win the face off and go stand by the net while Kaprizov, Fiala do their thing. Zuccarello playing where there should be a right shot is what's limiting the options. He doesn't shoot, just passes it back to Suter.

He’s shot a few times. I’m fine keeping Zucc out there and running the backwards Winnipeg PP, but requires 1 righty.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What we’re doing now is handicapped by the 5th lefty (Eriksson Ek). He’s no threat to do almost anything.
Worse than that, he's pretty much a guaranteed turnover whenever they throw him the puck.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Should really just run Kap below the goal line, Fiala half wall, Hartmann slot, suter top and dumba top of the circle. Hartmann clearly can win draws and fits the mold for right shot so our pp actually works properly.

What does Suter do that Dumba, Spurgeon, Brodin, of Zuccarello (or Fiala/Zuccarrello/Kaprizov at the point) don't do better?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zuccarello*

There's a surprise...Fiala and Kaprizov don't play well together, no chemistry.

25% of Zuccarello's 400 career points are on the power play, I think Evason should keep him where he is now...

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He’s shot a few times. I’m fine keeping Zucc out there and running the backwards Winnipeg PP, but requires 1 righty.

And if you look at our roster, take all of our right handed players, which one would you say is best suited for the PP? And where on the PP is that player best?

Although if you're looking for a right handed forward that could play down low, could shoot, and could fill a center role, there's a guy in Nashville that scored at a 20 goal pace when he was just 22.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And if you look at our roster, take all of our right handed players, which one would you say is best suited for the PP? And where on the PP is that player best?

Although if you're looking for a right handed forward that could play down low, could shoot, and could fill a center role, there's a guy in Nashville that scored at a 20 goal pace when he was just 22.

I'd go with Hartman right now, with the slight revelation that he's been lately.

You're preaching to the choir with the Kunin thing, though I'm a bit intrigued with Khusnuts still.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd go with Hartman right now, with the slight revelation that he's been lately.

Yeah, Hartman could be a decent choice to replace Ek if he keeps his pre-injury play up and comes back from injury soon. I'd still be looking to replace Zuccarello with Dumba if the PP continues to not score though. Need another big shooting threat there. As it is now, everyone knows Zuccarello is going to pass it 80% of the time, and Fiala is the lone shooting threat.

You're preaching to the choir with the Kunin thing, though I'm a bit intrigued with Khusnuts still.

I know you've been the choir since the deal went down, I just like pointing it out, in general, for the record, every time it's relevant.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What does Suter do that Dumba, Spurgeon, Brodin, of Zuccarello (or Fiala/Zuccarrello/Kaprizov at the point) don't do better?
Pass the puck, hold the line, get shots through to the net, reset the offense, defend against giving up odd mans the other way, get the zone entry set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad