Minnesota Wild General Discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
He definitely produced at even strength like a 4th liner last year. It wasn't great.

Maybe It's just me but I haven't been impressed enough with either Greenway or Donato to play ahead of Parise on the left side. Besides his hustle, and his net-front on presence on the PP I'm not that big of a fan especially 5on5.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
He was the worst wing on the team at 5 on 5. Add in the fact that he's terrible defensively, so he has no business skating on the matchup line with Ek, and he probably should be a healthy scratch with this roster

Greenway play's lazy much of the time and I just don't think Donato is any good.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Greenway play's lazy much of the time and I just don't think Donato is any good.

You don't think Donato is any good because he's being horribly misused. He would arguably be the second best winger on the team if he was used properly.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Donato 5v5 is better than parise when given a top 6 role.

Donato attempts to dangle too much and fails. Other teams don't exactly put their top lines out against him either. I say we aren't a good enough team to put Parise on the 4th line. YET

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Donato attempts to dangle too much and fails. Other teams don't exactly put their top lines out against him either. I say we aren't a good enough team to put Parise on the 4th line. YET
neither player always plays against the best talent 5v5. Donato has more skill than the grinder role that Parise brings.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
There's a reason several coaches now and different teams have put Donato where he is in the lineup. Several people are way undervaluing Parise and overhyping Donato here. There's not some conspiracy to misuse him. People act like he's the first small, weak, slow guy who can't earn a top 6 role but also doesn't fit a typical bottom 6 role.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
and I just don't think Donato is any good.

Agreed. Guerin said Donato was a healthy scratch in the last game against the Canucks, because they needed more speed on his line. And he also gets knocked off the puck a lot, looks like he simply isn't strong enough.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There's a reason several coaches now and different teams have put Donato where he is in the lineup. Several people are way undervaluing Parise and overhyping Donato here. There's not some conspiracy to misuse him. People act like he's the first small, weak, slow guy who can't earn a top 6 role but also doesn't fit a typical bottom 6 role.
And that "reason" is what got Boudreau fired.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Agreed. Guerin said Donato was a healthy scratch in the last game against the Canucks, because they needed more speed on his line. And he also gets knocked off the puck a lot, looks like he simply isn't strong enough.

He also said he has no good reason why Donato isn't getting better usage, other than Fiala being the best forward on the team by a longshot, and them paying other guys more.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
neither player always plays against the best talent 5v5. Donato has more skill than the grinder role that Parise brings.

He also said he has no good reason why Donato isn't getting better usage, other than Fiala being the best forward on the team by a longshot, and them paying other guys more.

Evason has seen him in practice just about everyday, there has to be something he doesn't like about him.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Parise produces bottom 6 even strength numbers despite getting top 6 usage. Donato tied Fiala, Staal and Kunin for most even strength goals despite getting 5-7 minutes less per game and the dishonor of playing with a washed up Koivu or Rask as his center for a vast majority of the season.

One of them is the far superior ES goal scorer, and it's not Parise.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Evason has seen him in practice just about everyday, there has to be something he doesn't like about him.

Weird, you'd think he would have told Guerin then, so Guerin has some idea why he's not being utilized better.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think Donato could be a really really good player and it really does bug me how little opportunity he’s given, especially when he tends to deliver when given a increased role. The guy has skills that you can’t teach.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Donato could be a really really good player and it really does bug me how little opportunity he’s given, especially when he tends to deliver when given a increased role. The guy has skills that you can’t teach.
Donato is a lot like Zuccarello. If you don't have the role and/or linemates for him to play with, you're not going to get much out of him. Both guys can be quality top 6 players in the right role. IMO

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Guerin's not going to tell Evason "lets play Parise in the top six. He's not as good as Donato and we may lose more games but who cares, I don't care about my job do you?".

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Guerin's not going to tell Evason "lets play Parise in the top six. He's not as good as Donato and we may lose more games but who cares, I don't care about my job do you?".

You're right. It was Boudreau (who lost his job) and Evason (who's not going to renewed when his current contract expires if he doesn't figure out how to coach) that couldn't figure out that Parise is a bottom six player at even strength this season. Guerin didn't tell them how to coach, which is why he has no idea why Donato is getting the shaft while Parise is being spoonfed minutes he doesn't deserve.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Are you really going to sit here and tell me the guy who played Foligno and Greenway on his top line in the playoffs, and the guy who said we needed more speed, so he left Koivu in the lineup, knows how to win in the NHL?

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
You're right. It was Boudreau (who lost his job) and Evason (who's not going to renewed when his current contract expires if he doesn't figure out how to coach) that couldn't figure out that Parise is a bottom six player at even strength this season. Guerin didn't tell them how to coach, which is why he has no idea why Donato is getting the shaft while Parise is being spoonfed minutes he doesn't deserve.

Hell I wanted Gallant anyways. You guys may be right, maybe Donato is not being used effectively, I just don't see the skill there. He's still relatively young so maybe I should take a closer look. I might eat crow.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hell I wanted Gallant anyways. You guys may be right, maybe Donato is not being used effectively, I just don't see the skill there. He's still relatively young so maybe I should take a closer look. I might eat crow.
What is Parise better at than Donato?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Donato definitely has been misused. I think there is a way to sneak him into the Top6 with some trades and Parise accepting a 3rd line role.

Something like:
Kap - Staal - Fiala
Donato - 2C- Zucc
Parise - JEEK- Kunin
Moose - Sturm - Hartman.

In my mind Greenway was involved in a trade for a Center.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Donato definitely has been misused. I think there is a way to sneak him into the Top6 with some trades and Parise accepting a 3rd line role.

Something like:
Kap - Staal - Fiala
Donato - 2C- Zucc
Parise - JEEK- Kunin
Moose - Sturm - Hartman.

In my mind Greenway was involved in a trade for a Center.
You don't want Parise anywhere near your matchup/shutdown line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad