Minnesota Wild General Discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
About half that? He hustles, opposing players have to have their heads on a swivel when he's out on the ice, he's an okay PK'er, will drop the gloves when needed plus he's kind of fun to watch, to me anyway. I feel a bit weird defending him but who else on the team can do that? They are needed aspects of the game.
Foligno is an excellent penalty killer. That's about all that makes him above a league minimum player though. Foligno had by far his best season in Minnesota and it still wasn't significantly better than what Ryan Hartman did. Hartman makes $1.9M.

Like I said before, if Foligno wants to re-sign on a 2-3 year deal for a realistic price? Then the Wild should definitely consider bringing him back. 4 years at $3.5M is absolute insanity for Foligno

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Foligno isn't that much of a player, he belongs on the 4th line imo. And then $3.5M is a bit north of his value based on his production. And this is why I don't see him as captain material either.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Foligno is an excellent penalty killer. That's about all that makes him above a league minimum player though. Foligno had by far his best season in Minnesota and it still wasn't significantly better than what Ryan Hartman did. Hartman makes $1.9M.

Like I said before, if Foligno wants to re-sign on a 2-3 year deal for a realistic price? Then the Wild should definitely consider bringing him back. 4 years at $3.5M is absolute insanity for Foligno

Well he makes 2.8m per now so I wouldn't bring him back for more than 2yrs @ 2.2-2.5 per but I would bring him back if it were up to me. I meant to see we shall see how he does next year.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
A 2nd rounder is just some random value that a fan on the main boards put on moving up 2 spots and Donato is worth more than that anyways.

It's about right though, if you look at previous trades and moving up in the draft. It's actually pretty rare that a team moves up from inside the 10.

He doesn’t have attitude issues.

Except he has. Russo noted it last season when Greenway and Donato were sent down to help Iowa (along with Kunin) and he coasted because he thought he was too good to be in the minors. That was his issue with Providence as well I believe and why Boston traded him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's about right though, if you look at previous trades and moving up in the draft. It's actually pretty rare that a team moves up from inside the 10.

Except he has. Russo noted it last season when Greenway and Donato were sent down to help Iowa (along with Kunin) and he coasted because he thought he was too good to be in the minors. That was his issue with Providence as well I believe and why Boston traded him.

Can you link the source to either one of these?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wasn't just Donato, Greenway was sulking too which made me like him a little less....

I remember hearing about Greenway slacking off, I don't remember hearing the same about Donato

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Greenway's at an age where he doesn't comprehend how fast a career fly's by. Like Guerin I see him dominate play at times but that don't mean squat if you disappear for large portions of a game.

You saw what I saw. Only time he plays hard is when he is mad about something. Hope he is traded

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
You can play money puck all day long but there are different aspects of what players bring to a winning club. Foligno brings leadership and never takes a shift off and can actually play hockey and not just fight.

We aren't squeezed to the cap needing to make space for anyone. I dont see the big deal here.

Reactions: DRichter

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
You can play money puck all day long but there are different aspects of what players bring to a winning club. Foligno brings leadership and never takes a shift off and can actually play hockey and not just fight.

We aren't squeezed to the cap needing to make space for anyone. I dont see the big deal here.

I agree I love what he brings to the table especially at his price point, he doesn't exactly break the bank. My only concern is for us to sign him to an overly lengthy contract as I would think his body will start breaking down with the way he plays.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I agree I love what he brings to the table especially at his price point, he doesn't exactly break the bank. My only concern is for us to sign him to an overly lengthy contract as I would think his body will start breaking down with the way he plays.

I dont see him getting a raise. I actually likely see him taking a very small cut to get another 3 year deal. Which im ok with. I'd rather slightly overpay for foligno than definitely over pay for 3rd line tweeners in FA. Let the youth take that over.

Reactions: DRichter

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I want nothing to do with Turris. He's a boat anchor.
Turris fits this team better than Zuccarello. He'd be a good stop gap until a center prospect is ready. Zuccarello is currently blocking younger players from getting top minutes. If Zucc agrees to the trade, then we don't have to protect him in the expansion draft.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I bet Zuccarello stays here. I don't see him accepting any trade, he has the NMC for a reason. And I don't think his agent would recommend it either.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Guerin mentioned to Russo something to the effect that he wasn't happy with Greenway's performance. BG said he "had a talk with him".
I wonder how much patience that BG will have before shopping him around?

Hopefully none. Greenways only asset is his size, he's not good enough to justify keeping if there are attitude or commitment issues.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see paying Foligno more than Staal(3.25M) is getting, that's for sure. If he keeps the AAV under 3M, then he will get 4 years, though 3 would be ideal. The style of game he plays makes for a lot of wear and tear on the body. Sooner or later we will need someone on the team who fights besides him. Hartman can drop them, but has no business fighting heavyweights. If he wants more, then you thank him for his service, and move on. It's not like he has been part of a huge success story here.

Greenway needs to be more consistent, bit any criticism that comes from the Fenton regime I take with a grain of salt. An engaged Greenway adds something to this team that we really need, and allows us to pick smaller, skilled players if we need to. During the regular season, his body in front of the net led to a few goals, even though he didn't get credit. It's like having a small house in front of a goalie. Bottom line is that we need to encourage him to be better, and teach him how to be better. Foligno can help him with being tough, but i don't know who can help him with the skill part as a big man...Staal? Next year will be telling for Greenway.

Kunin made progress this year. Not an exciting player, as his tools are average, but smart, and feisty. I think he will be a regular 20 goal scorer, as long as he gets #2PP TOI. It might not be a stupid idea to lock him up at 3.75M for 6 years, or something like that. Don't know if he would do it, but you would be paying for his prime years. To me, he has less tools than Coyle, Nino, Zucker, or Granlund had, but might have the most consistent game of the lot. Again, if he wants more, then you ride out the RFA process.

JEE is the most important of the bunch, even as an unexciting 3C. He is the one guy you try to sign long term, and you don't let go of, unless we somehow get our hands on a bunch more C's.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Read that Pittsburgh may be attempting to trade Letang this offseason. I think that bodes well for next years 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad