Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
One of Greenway, Donato, Kunin needs to be moved. Chicago fans said they’d do Strome for Kunin with Zach Smith attached (1m retained). I’d prefer to keep him and move Donato, if I’m picking one to move.

I think we need to move two of them for a center (if we have to). Our biggest strength is definitely at the wing. Boldy, Beckman, Lodnia, Mayhew, and Anas makes a lot of our current wingers expendable. Still, it'll be hard to find a team that wants to trade a center for a package of wingers IMO

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's obviously not some simple task, but it is something that a good GM should be able to pull off.

The Islanders thing seemed like a little bit of lightning in a bottle. A connection with the GM, some sort of old family connection. Now, with the prospect of a multi-year flat cap, I have a hard time seeing it. The Islanders right now have $8M in space and need to re-sign Barzal and Pulock. I think that ship is gone.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think we need to move two of them for a center (if we have to). Our biggest strength is definitely at the wing. Boldy, Beckman, Lodnia, Mayhew, and Anas makes a lot of our current wingers expendable. Still, it'll be hard to find a team that wants to trade a center for a package of wingers IMO

You'd probably have to buy a little low on a guy that you still think has potential (Borgstrom, Mittelstadt) and hope for the best.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The Islanders thing seemed like a little bit of lightning in a bottle. A connection with the GM, some sort of old family connection. Now, with the prospect of a multi-year flat cap, I have a hard time seeing it. The Islanders right now have $8M in space and need to re-sign Barzal and Pulock. I think that ship is gone.
Or, Parise wanted out and this was the best way to spin it when he ended up still here?

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Or, Parise wanted out and this was the best way to spin it when he ended up still here?

I doubt that his wanting out was unconditional, but I'm just guessing there.

The 'GM connection' was a team wanting to trade for him. I don't think that list is an awfully long one right now, due to a number of factors.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I doubt that his wanting out was unconditional, but I'm just guessing there.
Yeah, I don't think he went to Guerin and just decided that he wanted out. But, I also don't buy the whole " I didn't really want to leave Minnesota, but my dad played like 50 games for the Islanders so how could I say no" bullshit that Russo was spinning this winter either. Make it clear to him that he really doesn't have a future here, and Guerin should be able to work something out. Other GM's have been able to move worse players on worse contracts.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Any trade of Parise needs to include buyout protection in the form of conditional assets.

He's a an easy buyout after next season (right before expansion draft) any team that acquires him, and a no brainier buyout after the following season.

Both would hammer us with recapture, but not the acquiring team.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Any trade of Parise needs to include buyout protection in the form of conditional assets.

He's a an easy buyout after next season (right before expansion draft) any team that acquires him, and a no brainier buyout after the following season.

Both would hammer us with recapture, but not the acquiring team.
Are you sure that cap recapture would even happen with a buyout?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Lodnia, Mayhew and Anas make no one from the NHL roster expendable. Not a single person.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Are you sure that cap recapture would even happen with a buyout?
Yes. If you use the buyout calculator on cap friendly you can see it built into the numbers if the Wild buy him out.

Once we trade him for the acquiring team it's 800k over 8 years after 2021 or 400k over 6 while we get hit with huge recapture numbers.

Honestly, if I was a GM that needed a PP scorer, Parise's contract is quite attractive because of how easy it is to buyout. Assuming you have the cap space.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes. If you use the buyout calculator on cap friendly you can see it built into the numbers if the Wild buy him out.

Once we trade him for the acquiring team it's 800k over 8 years after 2021 or 400k over 6 while we get hit with huge recapture numbers.

Honestly, if I was a GM that needed a PP scorer, Parise's contract is quite attractive because of how easy it is to buyout. Assuming you have the cap space.

I'm just confused, doesn't a buyout represent fulfillment of a contract more or less?

If WE were to buy him out, we wouldn't get hit with a recapture. Is that because we're paying the money so it would be no different than him playing out the contract with us, but if another team buys him out, we still had the benefit of not paying that money?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm just confused, doesn't a buyout represent fulfillment of a contract more or less?

If WE were to buy him out, we wouldn't get hit with a recapture. Is that because we're paying the money so it would be no different than him playing out the contract with us, but if another team buys him out, we still had the benefit of not paying that money?

Right. If we buy them out, we actually still do get hit with recapture, because the buyout isn't the full amount to negate the benefit we got.

Basically if we buy them out we get to spread 2/3 the money owed over the double the length of the contract. Remaining cap benefit is paid as recapture over the length of what's left of the contract.

P10p

May 15, 2012
That's not true at all

Ah, definitely misunderstanding.

I thought that in the event we traded either, due to the way that their respective contracts are structured, we would potentially be on the hook for cap recapture if they were to retire early. Like Weber with Nashville. I also thought the new CBA was eliminating "cap recapture".

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Right. If we buy them out, we actually still do get hit with recapture, because the buyout isn't the full amount to negate the benefit we got.

Basically if we buy them out we get to spread 2/3 the money owed over the double the length of the contract. Remaining cap benefit is paid as recapture over the length of what's left of the contract.

Interesting, so we would have both the recapture penalty and the buyout penalty for a few years at least.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Parise would never be bought out without clarification his recapture would not take affect. He would "retire". The new language suggests that if a player retires the year it would be some ridiculous cap penalty that it would not be implemented cause obviously that would be a super big burden for not just the team itself but the league.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Players With parise like contracts would get from the league a buyout with no penalties to negotiate a new contract that can actually be moved to cup chase. A win for everyone. Team gets relief. Player gets options. League puts to rest the issue.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I assume there will be more scrimmages with different iterations, but they're really going to be putting Kahkonen through it tomorrow. That's kind of promising in a way, even though this scenario doesn't mean much.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Staal and Donato on top of that. With Suter and Spurgeon on D.

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad