Minnesota Wild General Discussion VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So I watched on delay because of the Florida/LSU game, and the GDT was closed for some reason (has to be record), but was the Foligno goal that was waived off legit?
The puck was never covered but it was in enough traffic to justify the whistle.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
His contract hasn't even kicked in yet, so I don't really know what the conversation is about.
People talking about Guerin's plans to rebuild. I just brought up the fact that Spurgeon and his contract would be an interesting way to start a rebuild

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
People talking about Guerin's plans to rebuild. I just brought up the fact that Spurgeon and his contract would be an interesting way to start a rebuild

Oh, well, in that case, I don't think it would be a tremendous roadblock to doing so. Even in a rebuild you'd need to reach the cap floor.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
I feel like I'm being censored since I said I think the Wild should rebuild.... Just for starters.. I'm the biggest Wild fan..Note to everyone..I hate the name Wild and still Wish we could be the North Stars..Besides that..We need to enter a new age of the Wild..we're mixing newbies with veterans at the worst times... seriously. come on now

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Anybody else feel cheated that they didn't get the annual 'Spurgeon battling Malkin down low' hilarity? I'm bummed out.
There was a great sequence where Walz is talking about Crosby being the strongest player in the World right as Spurgeon blasts him into the glass and off the puck. Walz makes me miss Greenlay:facepalm:

Reactions: Wabit

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Oh, well, in that case, I don't think it would be a tremendous roadblock to doing so. Even in a rebuild you'd need to reach the cap floor.
Pretty sure that Parise and Suter have that covered. If the plan is/was to take a step back and try to build some youth? Then signing Spurgeon to that contract was moronic.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So I watched on delay because of the Florida/LSU game, and the GDT was closed for some reason (has to be a record; didn't read through it), but was the Foligno goal that was waived off legit?

Ref lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle. Nothing anyone can do (besides complain) when that happens.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Pretty sure that Parise and Suter have that covered. If the plan is/was to take a step back and try to build some youth? Then signing Spurgeon to that contract was moronic.
I don't think that was the plan, but considering the team we're seeing, we may not have a choice anymore this season. Most piv the vets appear to be aging out quickly.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't think that was the plan, but considering the team we're seeing, we may not have a choice anymore this season. Most piv the vets appear to be aging out quickly.
Agreed, but that's something that Guerin needed to anticipate.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I don't think that was the plan when the contract was signed. Other wise I'd agree. Hell, if that was the "plan", then not trading Dumba this offseason was probably moronic too.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Agreed, but that's something that Guerin needed to anticipate.

Anticipated that Suter, Parise, Staal, Zuccarello and Koivu would all be hot garbage to start the season?

Then what? It's one thing to anticipate that kind of stuff, but what do you expect him to actually do about it?

He's been here 2 months...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't think that was the plan when the contract was signed. Other wise I'd agree. Hell, if that was the "plan", then not trading Dumba this offseason was probably moronic too.
a 25 year old signed to a great contract isn't in any way comparable to a 30 year old signed to a bad one. Especially as it pertains to a rebuild

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Anticipated that Suter, Parise, Staal, Zuccarello and Koivu would all be hot garbage to start the season?

Then what? It's one thing to anticipate that kind of stuff, but what do you expect him to actually do about it?

I don't think Koivu has been hot garbage.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

If he wasn't smart enough to at least consider the fact that signing another 30+ year old player to a long term deal might be a bad idea? The Spurgeon decision should've been simple. Either he signs a team friendly deal or he goes on the block.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
a 25 year old signed to a great contract isn't in any way comparable to a 30 year old signed to a bad one. Especially as it pertains to a rebuild

It's not a great contract based on his play in these 4 games, which is what we're basing this Spurgeon conversation on, I guess.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hard to anticipate with only a month before camp, and having had the last GM lock in Staal when he should've been traded.
If you think Staal should've been traded, then you have to believe the same about Spurgeon. Especially if that contact is the alternative.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he wasn't smart enough to at least consider the fact that signing another 30+ year old player to a long term deal might be a bad idea? The Spurgeon decision should've been simple. Either he signs a team friendly deal or he goes on the block.

And if the value for him on the block isn't there, all of a sudden you've shot yourself in the foot, Spurgeon won't re-sign, you either take less value for him or he walks. His deal isn't team friendly, but it's not going to break the franchise at any point.

Regardless, how does putting Spurgeon on the trade block improve the team and what does it do to address the fact that all the other veterans have been bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad