Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I really enjoy watching Duchene on the ice, but I really don't think he'd be a good fit in MN.
Sure, he makes some pretty plays and I agree that he doesn’t seem like a good fit here.
We have a need at top 6 C long term, Duchene is basically it that's available or soon to be.

It would be shocking if Fenton isn't at least considering it.
Duchene is part of a losing culture. He was a loser in Colorado. He was a loser in his first season in Ottawa. Consider it if he comes cheap.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Who would you give up for him though?

A lot goes into that question.

If it's tomorrow and includes an extension, maybe this is where you include a Nino or Zucker because we'll need to move cap. Position of strengh (W) to C trade, Ottawa will like the term on both as they can't immediately run for the hills.

Tomorrow without an extension you maybe something like Foligino + F Johansson +1st + conditional 2nd or 3rd if they resign.

Trade deadline would be all futures i'd assume, and what you're willing to pay probably depends on where the Wild are in the standings. If we're looking like a 100 point team again, maybe its similiar to the tomorrow without an extension value minus foligino.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sure, he makes some pretty plays and I agree that he doesn’t seem like a good fit here.

Duchene is part of a losing culture. He was a loser in Colorado. He was a loser in his first season in Ottawa. Consider it if he comes cheap.

So was Taylor Hall. Until he wasn't, and basically personally willed NJ to the playoffs last year.

Duchene played at 30 goal 65 point pace in that shit hole of a toxic situation in Ottawa last year. I'm hardly going to blame him for their problems.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m disgusted by the trade option without an extension. Two 1sts would be way too much. Then there’s the Nino/Zucker thing and I’m not sure Duchene is better than either one when healthy and both are signed long term.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I’m disgusted by the trade option without an extension. Two 1sts would be way too much. Then there’s the Nino/Zucker thing and I’m not sure Duchene is better than either one when healthy and both are signed long term.

when he plays a full season he has solid numbers, has put up 70 points twice. a younger 60 point center for top 6 to replace koivu in a year or 2 if ek doesnt pan out is not a bad thing to have.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

It's not two firsts. It's F Johnasson, a specific person. The 4th to 6th best prospect from a below average farm system and a 1st.

I don't think that is an unreasonable price for a 65 point center for a year. It's like half of what they got for Karlsson and inline with what they'd probably get for him.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So was Taylor Hall. Until he wasn't, and basically personally willed NJ to the playoffs last year.

Duchene played at 30 goal 65 point pace in that **** hole of a toxic situation in Ottawa last year. I'm hardly going to blame him for their problems.
I think the problems all started because of the Turris-Duchene swap. Ottawa I believe was 5-2-4 in the games he played in for them. That means Ottawa went 23-41-7 without Turris. You could blame the toxic situation until you realize that Duchene didn’t carry Colorado anywhere either. I’m not surprised Taylor Hall went to a defensively sound hockey team and automatically made them a playoff team. Taylor Hall is a vastly superior hockey player to Matt Duchene. Injuries were his problem.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
when he plays a full season he has solid numbers, has put up 70 points twice. a younger 60 point center for top 6 to replace koivu in a year or 2 if ek doesnt pan out is not a bad thing to have.
He put up 70 points once. He’s not a high end scorer and he’s a defensive disaster.
It's not two firsts. It's F Johnasson, a specific person. The 4th to 6th best prospect from a below average farm system and a 1st.

I don't think that is an unreasonable price for a 65 point center for a year. It's like half of what they got for Karlsson and inline with what they'd probably get for him.
Filip Johansson is a 1st round pick whether you like it or not. I doubt you and everyone else have even seen him play outside of the prospect scrimmage so placing him 4th-6th could be entirely misinformed. We just won’t know until he is playing in the NHL.

He hasn’t put up 65 points since 2013-14. Pace means nothing and he’d be a 1 year rental. Way too much for my liking.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
He put up 70 points once. He’s not a high end scorer and he’s a defensive disaster.

Filip Johansson is a 1st round pick whether you like it or not. I doubt you and everyone else have even seen him play outside of the prospect scrimmage so placing him 4th-6th could be entirely misinformed. We just won’t know until he is playing in the NHL.

He hasn’t put up 65 points since 2013-14. Pace means nothing and he’d be a 1 year rental. Way too much for my liking.

sorry 67 and 70. he is not a terrible player but i will agree i dont wanna give up a lot to get him as he doesnt scream must have. for the right price i would like him but im very much ok with letting ek grow into a top line center or 2c

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't think MN is in position to trade away a 1st right now. Looking at the team, on paper at least, they are a fringe Playoff team. Look what happened to OTT and the 1st they traded to get Duchene last year. Wait until the ASG or TDL and see where they are in the standings before putting a 1st on the table.

A Duchene trade is probably better discussed in the "trade idea" thread. :dunno:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

He scored 59 last year, with 28 goals.

You'll find me all over the Johansson pick threads defending the pick, or atleast the Wild's right to use their judgement and ignore "consensus". I don't have anything against him. But he's not a first anymore. He's a quantifiable player that Ottawa probably has an opinion on and scouting report on.

The going rate would probably be a prospect probably just outside our top tier and a 1st. Johanson is outside of our top 3 prospects (Kap, Kunin, Greenway) and on our own poll was 5th. I'd consider that just outside of our top tier, and I think that's what it would take.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

4th-6th is fair; Greenway, Kaprizov, and Kunin are the players ahead of him.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He scored 59 last year, with 28 goals.

You'll find me all over the Johansson pick threads defending the pick, or atleast the Wild's right to use their judgement and ignore "consensus". I don't have anything against him. But he's not a first anymore. He's a quantifiable player that Ottawa probably has an opinion on and scouting report on.

The going rate would probably be a prospect probably just outside our top tier and a 1st. Johanson is outside of our top 3 prospects (Kap, Kunin, Greenway) and on our own poll was 5th. I'd consider that just outside of our top tier, and I think that's what it would take.
Here’s how you quantify him right now: the Wild drafted him in the 1st round. No games have been played. Therefore, the Wild will see him having the same value as a 1st rounder. Disagree?

Why not Sokolov? If you look at our depth chart there is no depth at RD after the NHL squad. Replacement players at best. Sokolov might be more enticing to Ottawa and he should be more enticing to trade for Minnesota considering the top 3 prospects can all play left wing. We shouldn’t be trading the only decent prospect we have at a certain position. Pretty soon we will be scraping for a RHD like Edmonton cause the depth isn’t there and it takes years to develop defenseman. Look at Dumba for example, he took 2 years to become an NHL regular and 4 years to be making a huge positive impact and he was a top 10 pick.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Here’s how you quantify him right now: the Wild drafted him in the 1st round. No games have been played. Therefore, the Wild will see him having the same value as a 1st rounder. Disagree?

Why not Sokolov? If you look at our depth chart there is no depth at RD after the NHL squad. Replacement players at best. Sokolov might be more enticing to Ottawa and he should be more enticing to trade for Minnesota considering the top 3 prospects can all play left wing. We shouldn’t be trading the only decent prospect we have at a certain position. Pretty soon we will be scraping for a RHD like Edmonton cause the depth isn’t there and it takes years to develop defenseman. Look at Dumba for example, he took 2 years to become an NHL regular and 4 years to be making a huge positive impact and he was a top 10 pick.

I disagree. I think they value him as Filip Johansson and what they think of his development. Games have been played. They've seen him live at development camp and he's played at the Hlinka Gretzky cup. Once a player is selected, I don't think teams think of them as "1st round pick" in abstract value terms anymore and judge them on their merits.

If Ottawa would accept Sokolov, sure. Or Belpedio. Anas, whomever floats Ottawa's boat outside that top 3 tier.

A first round pick is an abstract mystery box. Ottawa is going to have to evaluate Johansson (or Belpedio, Sokolov, McBain, Anas, etc) for the player they are and what they think they can become.

We haven't seen those top prospects being moved in the last few years because they have some much value to teams. The jist of what the offer is a good prospect, but outside of the very top tier with whatever else.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

RD- Belpedio (NHL future), Menell (NHL longshot), Murphy (not really a prospect, but a quality call-up), Johansson x 2 (basically unknown outside of their draft position).

Sokolov won't have much trade value. He's one of those guys that get thrown into a trade, not something a trade is built around. Most every team has some version of him within their pipeline already. He has more value to the Wild than any other team right now.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

So was Oshie, until he wasn't.

Change of scenery can change a player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So was Oshie, until he wasn't.

Change of scenery can change a player.
good example. Remember when STL fans were making him a scapegoat?

Duchene is speedy, and a C who can win a FO. I think he might be undervalued, at this point. Still, he's going to be 28 this season, and is going to need a new contract. I think he'd want something like 7 x 7....do we want to get into paying that, especially if we have to send someone like a Nino or a draft pick(s) like Kunin/ Johanssen/Greenway/ + Sokolov?

Signing him would also probably cost us Staal in 2019-20.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
good example. Remember when STL fans were making him a scapegoat?

Duchene is speedy, and a C who can win a FO. I think he might be undervalued, at this point. Still, he's going to be 28 this season, and is going to need a new contract. I think he'd want something like 7 x 7....do we want to get into paying that, especially if we have to send someone like a Nino or a draft pick(s) like Kunin/ Johanssen/Greenway/ + Sokolov?

Signing him would also probably cost us Staal in 2019-20.

personally if signing 28/29 year old duchene costs us 35 year old Staal, amazing as he's been. I'll be ok with that

Wabit

May 23, 2016
personally if signing 28/29 year old duchene costs us 35 year old Staal, amazing as he's been. I'll be ok with that

Duchene could fill Staal's role if there is a center to fill Koivu's role. Duchene just isn't an all situation 1C.

It's neither here nor there anymore, but ROR is the center that the Wild should have gone after. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad