Minnesota Wild General Discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Askarov will be gone before 10. I’m not sure how we’d get a 2nd pick in the top ten regardless of the fact we probably wouldn’t/shouldn’t use it on him

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The problem is, the ones with the most trade value should be part of the team's solution. Trading them away just for late 1st round picks isn't going to move the needle anytime soon (if ever).

Is Koivu really part of the team's solution? Is Staal? Brodin? Dubnyk? Zucker? Who is part of the team's solution that would net us a first?

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

I will NEVER be in favor of a 1st round pick being a goaltender.

Actually, you shouldn't use anything higher than a 3rd on a goaltender. And even then, it's probably best to sign one or trade a low level pick for one. Like 16 starters this season (or those that started at the beginning) didn't start on the team that is playing for them.

You look at the guys that are playing well this season? That played around 10-15 games? Greiss, Kuemper, Lehner, Rask, Bishop, Nilsson, Koskinen, Fleury, Smith, Grubaeur, all came from other teams. Only Binnington and Price were drafted by their teams.

Looking at games played? Guys with 10+ games that didn't start with their organization? Fleury, Jones, Bobrovsky, Andersen, Kuemper, Bishop, Dubyk, Markstrom, Mrazek, Bernier, Rask, Smith, Anderson, Lahner, Koskinen, Grubaeur are all guys that got signed or traded for. And guys like Rittich and Hutton were free agents.

Goalies are a crap shoot and it's better to let another team develop them then you.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Is Koivu really part of the team's solution? Is Staal? Brodin? Dubnyk? Zucker? Who is part of the team's solution that would net us a first?
One of Koivu or Staal will still be here next year. Does that make them part of the solution? No. It makes them a place holder for a longer term option at this point.

Staal is the the more likely traded because Koivu has to be willing to move because he has a NMC... not a guarantee.

We can't afford to move both Staal and Koivu both, because we're not at all likely to be able to reasonably fill 2 top 6 center positions.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
One of Koivu or Staal will still be here next year. Does that make them part of the solution? No. It makes them a place holder for a longer term option at this point.

Staal is the the more likely traded because Koivu has to be willing to move because he has a NMC... not a guarantee.

We can't afford to move both Staal and Koivu both, because we're not at all likely to be able to reasonably fill 2 top 6 center positions.

If we get a 1st for Koivu and a 1st for Staal, we should move them. Hell if we get a 2nd for Koivu and a 2nd for Staal we should move them.

As for affording? Don't you want to tank? We have Ek, and there are some really intriguing names on the market: Backstrom, RNH, Galchenyk, Namestnikov, Haula, Janmark, Brassard...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If we get a 1st for Koivu and a 1st for Staal, we should move them. Hell if we get a 2nd for Koivu and a 2nd for Staal we should move them.

As for affording? Don't you want to tank? We have Ek, and there are some really intriguing names on the market: Backstrom, RNH, Galchenyk, Namestnikov, Haula, Janmark, Brassard...
No we shouldn't, and no I don't.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So, we should be trying for the playoffs? Also Koivu is a FA at the end of the year. Staal has another year. Koivu is easier to move than Staal if you make him waive his NMC.
We should be trying to get our players to play as good as they can, as many will be here next year, and next year we will need one of Koivu or Staal in our top 6.

We're not making the playoffs. Nobody thinks we are, but moving everything and the kitchen sink is more likely to turn this into a long term problem than it is just a 1-2 year problem.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im in favor of moving the kitchen sink aka staal ; koivu; zuccarello; parise ; dubnyk; stalock; pateryn ; Hartman ; buyout or trade rask with 50% retention. picks; picks & more picks. i think we need to get younger faster stronger by drafting & maybe even signing a ufa or 2. maybe hall wants to play alongside kaprizov?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
im in favor of moving the kitchen sink aka staal ; koivu; zuccarello; parise ; dubnyk; stalock; pateryn ; Hartman ; buyout or trade rask with 50% retention. picks; picks & more picks. i think we need to get younger faster stronger by drafting & maybe even signing a ufa or 2. maybe hall wants to play alongside kaprizov?
What's the plan for the $20m cap recapture penalty we expose ourselves to by trading Parise?

DonatoisDaddy

Sep 25, 2019
Hartman has been one of the brighter spots on this team this year. He brings much needed grit I'd keep him around.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I say we trade both him and Suter just to see if the league would actually impose a 40M cap penalty against us.
If they did... that's like the nuclear option... we'd be basically an expansion team all over again.

"Hey guys, you can't afford more than half your roster, you better fix that ASAP!"

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If they did... that's like the nuclear option... we'd be basically an expansion team all over again.

Yeah I think Leipold would probably be fined, the penalty would be drastically reduced, and we’d lose some draft picks.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hartman has been one of the brighter spots on this team this year. He brings much needed grit I'd keep him around.

I'd keep him because he's team controlled and has better hands than most player that just bring "grit". It's nice to have a 4th liner that can at least play up 1 line if needed throughout the course of a season.

Reactions: TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We should be trying to get our players to play as good as they can, as many will be here next year, and next year we will need one of Koivu or Staal in our top 6.

Staal is signed for another year, keep him.

We're not making the playoffs. Nobody thinks we are, but moving everything and the kitchen sink is more likely to turn this into a long term problem than it is just a 1-2 year problem.

It is more than a 1 or 2 year problem. Kaprizov and Boldy isn't going to turn this team around. You also have to make sure MR or KK are the next goalies to step up. The issue is that the GMs keep insisting it's only a one or two year issue and rebuild poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad