Minnesota Wild General Discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A lot of what Russo says in the podcast is equivalent to what goes on on HFBoards.
Exactly.

Russo is sure to get multiple sources for anything he writes, so you can usually bank on the facts he reports in his articles.

The podcasts are mostly pure speculation, and his history of guessing has been pretty damn bad.

If he writes something about the Wild and the league discussing the schedule, then there may be something to it.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
So yeah, as you all know we are in last place in the standings right now. I can't imagine we are anything better than worst 3 by the start of December.

This team usually gets into injury trouble. Parise, Dubs, Koivu, hopefully not a younger guy, and I'm not saying I hope someone does get injured. It just always happens.

That will make us worse.

I am knocking on wood, literally right now, but I don't see how we don't make a top 5 pick this year.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So yeah, as you all know we are in last place in the standings right now. I can't imagine we are anything better than worst 3 by the start of December.

This team usually gets into injury trouble. Parise, Dubs, Koivu, hopefully not a younger guy, and I'm not saying I hope someone does get injured. It just always happens.

That will make us worse.

I am knocking on wood, literally right now, but I don't see how we don't make a top 5 pick this year.

Easy. Guerin trades a lottery-protected 2020 first, Brennan Menell and Connor Dewar to the Oilers for Ethan Bear and Jesse Puljujarvi, but the Wild end up with the 7th overall pick after surging. Then they get the 2nd overall pick in 2021 but it goes to Edmonton. People still prefer Guerin to Fenton and Fletcher to Risebrough.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
On an article about GM meetings:

Just by his nature, Kekalainen said he was very much in listen mode the first couple years at these meetings. “I try to keep that as a rule for myself. First, listen,” he said.
That’s typically how it goes. One GM said he was pulled aside before his first meeting and it was explained to him that there’s a two-meeting rule. Keep your mouth shut for the first two meetings.
“Maybe Paul Fenton missed the memo,” joked a GM.

Seems like the other GMs didn't like Fenton much either.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah got a good chuckle at that...it seems pretty obvious he had no clue when it came to dealing with other people either within or outside of the org.

Although a rule about not talking if you're a rookie seems to be a pretty dumb rule...a bit antiquated. If you're a GM at a GM meeting you should be able to say whatever you want.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Finish 3rd worst, 3 teams behind us win the lottery (odds actually favor that outcome), we draft 6th.

Odds don’t favor the third worst team picking sixth.

Third worst team has a 15.2% chance of picking sixth. An 84.8% chance of picking top 5.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
2020 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon
This shows the team in 3rd has a 11.5% chance of picking 1st, 11.3% chance of picking 2nd, 11.1% chance of picking 3rd. 15.1% chance of picking 6th. Odds are greater of picking 6th than any of the top 3. Highest odds are for 5th.

You have better odds to pick 6th than you do to pick first. But you do not have better odds to pick 6th than you do to pick 1st through 5th.

Reactions: Nsjohnson and TaLoN

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
You have better odds to pick 6th than you do to pick first. But you do not have better odds to pick 6th than you do to pick 1st through 5th.
Exactly.

Anyways, we need that top 5 pick.

We need that top 3 pick.

What we need and what we get may be very different. Hope for the best.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Exactly.

Anyways, we need that top 5 pick.

We need that top 3 pick.

What we need and what we get may be very different. Hope for the best.

We need whoever we draft to hit their ceiling. The number of the pick is a moot point if they only hit their floor.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
We need whoever we draft to hit their ceiling. The number of the pick is a moot point if they only hit their floor.
That's true, but it isn't just that as there are many guys who don't have that high of a ceiling to begin with.

We need a guy with a high ceiling, hitting that ceiling, or surpassing it.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I think all those home games coming up will move the Wild away from the bottom.

And don't forget the Blues last season, dead last in the league after 40 games, but still won the Cup. They also had poor goaltending. Then they called up Binnington and everything changed. The Wild should try this...

So anything is possible :nod:

Last edited:

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I think all those home games coming up will move the Wild away from the bottom.

And don't forget the Blues last season, dead last in the league after 40 games, but still won the Cup. They also had poor goaltending. Then they called up Binnington and everything changed. The Wild should try this...

So anything is possible :nod:
I’m so sick of the “well the Blues were in last place” argument

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't look at it as a model to win a cup with, but it's a pretty good example of just how big a difference goaltending can make.
I agree. But I hate Wild fans acting like we weren’t expected to be 7th in the central compared to the Blues who were expected to be a competitive playoff team but were woefully underachieving

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I wouldn't look at it as a model to win a cup with, but it's a pretty good example of just how big a difference goaltending can make.

Yep. They had more pieces, but on the flip side, look at the Sabres. Every year they do the same thing, they started off 5 - 0 - 1...and ended up 9-2-1 before rattling off 6 losses and now being at 10-6-1. They went from the top of the standings to now middle of the pack. Will they miss the playoffs? Who knows? But I feel like everyone that wants to tank doesn't look at teams like Buffalo, or New Jersey, or Detroit or the Canucks.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if the hawks can do it , so can we. you just gotta have faith that 2 more summers of drafting well can turn this ship around. life doesn't come with a guarantee but insanity is thinking doing the same thing over & over will get better results. I've already said what my master plan is whats yours?

P10p

May 15, 2012
if the hawks can do it , so can we. you just gotta have faith that 2 more summers of drafting well can turn this ship around. life doesn't come with a guarantee but insanity is thinking doing the same thing over & over will get better results. I've already said what my master plan is whats yours?

Insanity is repeating the same action but expecting different results. But close! Lol

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Speaking of goaltending...
“Like everything, I’m in full evaluation mode. Right now, what we have are two goalies at the NHL level, and we don’t want to rush the two goalies that are in Iowa. I’ll tell you what, I know everybody’s in a rush, but it’s a high-pressure position. It’s extremely important and we just don’t want to rush guys. I know the temptation’s there, but you just don’t. You’re not doing those guys any favors.”

I don't really disagree... but again there's the itching at the back of my mind that wonders how badly Guerin really wants Dubnyk back on track this year.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Speaking of goaltending...

I don't really disagree... but again there's the itching at the back of my mind that wonders how badly Guerin really wants Dubnyk back on track this year.

The more I hear from him, the more I get the impression that Guerin would be perfectly content with finishing bottom 5 for a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad