Minnesota Wild General Discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Guerin basically said nothing. " Two goalies at the NHL level" means nothing .

DonatoisDaddy

Sep 25, 2019
I have a gut feeling that we are gonna be a mid lottery pick and end up with that Russian goalie.... but I'm an idiot so.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
As good as Askarov may become, using a top 10 pick on a goalie in next years draft, with our organizational needs and KK, Robson, and Jones coming up the pipe would not be ideal from my point of view.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I have a gut feeling that we are gonna be a mid lottery pick and end up with that Russian goalie.... but I'm an idiot so.
With KK and Robson doing well in Iowa, Jones doing well in Juniors, I'd be surprised if we spend any draft resources on a goalie in the first 4 rounds. 5-7 though, you never know no matter your prospect depth situation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No one would hate that. It’s just most people on here seem attached to anyone that has trade value.
The problem is, the ones with the most trade value should be part of the team's solution. Trading them away just for late 1st round picks isn't going to move the needle anytime soon (if ever).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Ha, sorry, I meant I wouldn't hate taking Askarov if we ended up with a second 1st. That's definitely not what my post actually said, though :laugh:
Even if we had a second 1st wouldn't be a fan of using it on a goalie. Goalie is the LAST position we need at this point in the prospect pool.

The NHL goalie situation is terrible, true, but we should have long term answers for that in the system already.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It's just a weird in-between situation right now with goalies. The NHL goalies suck, the AHL goalies need more time, and the team isn't good enough to give up a decent asset for one. Just ride it out the rest of the year imo.

Reactions: TaLoN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Even if we had a second 1st wouldn't be a fan of using it on a goalie. Goalie is the LAST position we need at this point in the prospect pool.

The NHL goalie situation is terrible, true, but we should have long term answers for that in the system already.
On the one hand, yes, taking goalies in the first is kind of a taboo and rightfully so.

On the other, Askarov's performance against older competition is enough to at least have me curious. If the hype around him ends up being justified he'd be a phenomenal addition for a team that should have a strong blueline for years... but it's a big if.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
On the one hand, yes, taking goalies in the first is kind of a taboo and rightfully so.

On the other, Askarov's performance against older competition is enough to at least have me curious. If the hype around him ends up being justified he'd be a phenomenal addition for a team that should have a strong blueline for years... but it's a big if.
Or, we already have said player in 3 quality prospects, and instead use the late 1st on another forward with skill... something we severely lack and need as many looks as possible to solve.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

We don’t need an elite level goaltender though. And if it comes to it, and we’re talking about trading guys like Jones, Robson and Kahkonen in the future if Askarov becomes that, we’re already not going to get good value because goalies don’t get good value.

When all we need is an average starter level goalie, and we have three or four guys who are all doing very well at various levels of development, I hesitate to tie up more value in goalies when we also desperately need offense.

Reactions: TaLoN

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Goalies are such a shitshoot than I would t be surprised if none of our 3 goalie prospects turned into starters. If Askarov is sitting there at 24 (he’s not) you take him. We see again and again that shitty teams with good goaltending are atleast in the mix for the playoffs. See Anaheim. We see again and again the good teams with shit goaltending are lottery bound, see buffalo, st.louis, maybe even us.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
We don’t need an elite level goaltender though. And if it comes to it, and we’re talking about trading guys like Jones, Robson and Kahkonen in the future if Askarov becomes that, we’re already not going to get good value because goalies don’t get good value.

When all we need is an average starter level goalie, and we have three or four guys who are all doing very well at various levels of development, I hesitate to tie up more value in goalies when we also desperately need offense.
An average starter-level goalie gets the team to the playoffs. I'm unconvinced that an average starter-level goalie gets us much further than that.

I'm not really pitching the idea of using a 1st on Askarov, either. "Would not hate" is somewhere in the vicinity of "meh."

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Goalies are such a ****shoot than I would t be surprised if none of our 3 goalie prospects turned into starters. If Askarov is sitting there at 24 (he’s not) you take him. We see again and again that ****ty teams with good goaltending are atleast in the mix for the playoffs. See Anaheim. We see again and again the good teams with **** goaltending are lottery bound, see buffalo, st.louis, maybe even us.
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

I will NEVER be in favor of a 1st round pick being a goaltender.

The implementation of the salary cap only solidified my stance on that.

The worst thing that can happen to a franchise is to end up with an elite goaltender getting elite goaltender salary. You have no room for the skaters in front.

Give me an avg to slightly above avg goaltender with reasonable salary every time. The cap savings vs performance gap between them is greatly in the team's favor!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
An average starter-level goalie gets the team to the playoffs. I'm unconvinced that an average starter-level goalie gets us much further than that.

I'm not really pitching the idea of using a 1st on Askarov, either. "Would not hate" is somewhere in the vicinity of "meh."

You look at the list of goaltenders that have won the cup and it’s filled with average starter level guys who got hot at the right time.

And for the most part those teams are built around high end offense.

Defense doesn’t win championships anymore.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's just a weird in-between situation right now with goalies. The NHL goalies suck, the AHL goalies need more time, and the team isn't good enough to give up a decent asset for one. Just ride it out the rest of the year imo.
I agree that there's no reason to try and force a deal to save the season, but if there's a guy that you like that is available now, you should make that trade.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You look at the list of goaltenders that have won the cup and it’s filled with average starter level guys who got hot at the right time.

And for the most part those teams are built around high end offense.

Defense doesn’t win championships anymore.
If we're talking about a second 1st, presumably lower than #15, we're probably not looking at guys that are the difference between a cup and no cup anyway. All I'm saying is that I don't consider taking a possible high-end goalie over a possible middle-6 forward indefensible.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If we're talking about a second 1st, presumably lower than #15, we're probably not looking at guys that are the difference between a cup and no cup anyway. All I'm saying is that I don't consider taking a possible high-end goalie over a possible middle-6 forward indefensible.
I'll still take the middle six forward over a first round goaltender every time.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Top 5 pick + Askarov in the 20's I could stomach, and I'm normally goalie-in-the-first-round-averse.

If we're picking in the 7-12 range, I think I'd rather take another shot at a skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad