GDT: Minnesota in town to get set ablaze by the CALGARY FLAMES. 7PM MTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ignoring the hit, all of this could have been avoided if the refs CALLED THE ****ING BLATANT TRIP beforehand.

Remember when frolik missed the empty net against the islanders and then smith got injured... Monahan did the same thing tonight.

Starts praying to hockey gods*

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I disagree. You have to be a Flames fan to not like that hit. Fans of 30 teams were entertained, and importantly, that's a play that Backlund had the ability to avoid. He skated himself right into it and wasn't aware of Dumba's movements.

First in regards to head shots there is no place for any player to be hit as the principle point of contact in the head PERIOD. I don't care what team is on the ice. You all can cry it takes the spirit of hockey away but how much more spirit would there be if Deadmarsh, Allison, Lindros (Brett and Eric), Savard, Lafontaine, Pronger, Kariya and many more had full careers. It is obvious 75% of you have not seen how bad these players are injured by these head shots.

Dumba did not need to elevate and could have even went lower to avoid the head. PERIOD. Quit living in the 1990's where there was little knowledge of the effects of these hits.

The excuse of if you weren't X fan has to be thrown in the trash when these head shots are being looked at.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Shannon is at the game so has likely spoken with someone there

JG - Lindholm - Neal
Mangi - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennet - Jankowski - Czarnik
Callup - Ryan - Hathaway

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If Backlund is indeed out for a while, the debate becomes whether to break up the prolific top line so Lindholm can centre the second line or have one of Bennett or Czarnik play centre. I don't think they'll break up Monahan and Gaudreau as a pair regardless, although that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik
Lomberg-Ryan-Hathaway

or

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal
Mangiapane-Bennett-Hathaway
Lomberg-Ryan-Czarnik

Or various permutations of that.

If indeed Lindholm is moved to centre his own line and Neal is moved up to play with Gaudreau, could be a silver lining. Getting Neal going would offset the offensive from Backlund being injured and Lindholm becoming the defacto checking centre.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
First in regards to head shots there is no place for any player to be hit as the principle point of contact in the head PERIOD. I don't care what team is on the ice. You all can cry it takes the spirit of hockey away but how much more spirit would there be if Deadmarsh, Allison, Lindros (Brett and Eric), Savard, Lafontaine, Pronger, Kariya and many more had full careers. It is obvious 75% of you have not seen how bad these players are injured by these head shots.

Of course we know, which is why the rules have changed to what they are. I feel like the rules that are in place today are pretty common sense. Hitting is a legal form of defence, and there shouldn't be something a player can do to make themselves "unhittable" while they are possessing the puck.

Currently, every player who has the puck has the ability to prevent a hit from hitting their head legally. Backlund failed to protect himself tonight, and Dumba should not be forced to pay a penalty for that.

If a player goes out of his way and hits the head illegally anyway, then yes, get that out of the game. Throw the book at them. Several of the examples you have quoted are already against the rules now to prevent those kinds of injuries. So you're arguing a moot point, or at least with a different set of goalposts regarding the Dumba hit tonight.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Shannon is at the game so has likely spoken with someone there

JG - Lindholm - Neal
Mangi - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennet - Jankowski - Czarnik
Callup - Ryan - Hathaway

Could also be speculation, so I wouldn't panic yet. Also, I have a bad feeling it'll be this....

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Ryan-Bennett
Bread-Jankowski-Neal
Lomberg-Czarnik-Hathaway

Ryan played on the 2nd line a lot in Carolinia, and they may want to keep that top line hot. The thought of that here though doesn't excite me. That 4th line is also weak sauce. I'd rather call dube or rychel up if backlund is out long term.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The logical thing to do is to move Lindholm down. Since Frolik's been out, he's taken his spot on the top PK unit. This team has troubles handling other team's stars and any other centre in that position is going to get torched by McDavid.

Regardless, until someone with actual connections to the team comes out and says something, it's all speculation

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The logical thing to do is to move Lindholm down. Since Frolik's been out, he's taken his spot on the top PK unit. This team has troubles handling other team's stars and any other centre in that position is going to get torched by McDavid.

Regardless, until someone with actual connections to the team comes out and says something, it's all speculation

I really doubt it. If peters never did it in carolina, I doubt Lindy is gonna be given the #2 spot. I just pray to god Ryan can step his game up.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think we sent a shiver up the spine of the NHL tonight. There aren't many people calling us a bubble team anymore.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I really doubt it. If peters never did it in carolina, I doubt Lindy is gonna be given the #2 spot. I just pray to god Ryan can step his game up.
He's done it here already. There have been times early on in the season where Peters got the blender out and moved Lindholm off the top and to center

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's done it here already. There have been times early on in the season where Peters got the blender out and moved Lindholm off the top and to center

Lindy has also played a grand total of one full game at center. With how bad Neal has played, I'm not so sure he's as willing to break up that top line as we may think. We will see, but Ryan matching up against mcdavid seems like a disaster in the making.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The second line currently isn't the reason we're winning games. Backlund has looked quite slow in the last few games, and if there's already a decisions that he's going to miss time, it could easily be a Monahan situation where this is simply a good excuse for the Flames to let him get finally healthy from some pre-existing injury.

But on topic, the Flames' second line isn't currently the reason we're winning games. We have some leeway here to experiment with things a bit. I don't think it would be a bad idea to try Bennett at second line centre there, at least to start with. Throw a right winger with Bennett and Tkachuk and let's give them a chance to prove what they can do. If not, we have options. Jankowski has been looking strong lately, and at the very least can be trusted not to be a defensive liability while on the shutdown line. Ryan could do it, but I don't trust him to take tough matchups. Czarnik maybe, but I don't know if he could handle those matchups either.

That's about the order of things I'd try. I think you want to break up the top line right now only as a last resort.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

No reason to leave your feet to hit a guy bent over like that. Second time this year a player has put their forearm into a Flames chin. Glad Lomberg went after that puke. Never would of happened if they had called that obvious trip on Backs just earlier.

Reactions: Janks

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The second line currently isn't the reason we're winning games. Backlund has looked quite slow in the last few games, and if there's already a decisions that he's going to miss time, it could easily be a Monahan situation where this is simply a good excuse for the Flames to let him get finally healthy from some pre-existing injury.

But on topic, the Flames' second line isn't currently the reason we're winning games. We have some leeway here to experiment with things a bit. I don't think it would be a bad idea to try Bennett at second line centre there, at least to start with. Throw a right winger with Bennett and Tkachuk and let's give them a chance to prove what they can do. If not, we have options. Jankowski has been looking strong lately, and at the very least can be trusted not to be a defensive liability while on the shutdown line. Ryan could do it, but I don't trust him to take tough matchups. Czarnik maybe, but I don't know if he could handle those matchups either.

That's about the order of things I'd try. I think you want to break up the top line right now only as a last resort.

The reason that top line is so good is because backlund takes all the hard matchups. His hands looked wrecked right now, but he's still capable of moving the puck up and defending. You really trust Ryan or jankowski to take those matchups, because I certainly don't.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I think Jankowski would be my preferred guy if the Flames needed a fill-in on the 2nd line between Tkachuk and Bennett. Let Bennett take the faceoffs since he's much better than Janko but I think it could work.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Can you go even one post without complaining about the referees? It's all you do.

Agreed. The Flames +/- on penalties is very + right now. Makes sense seeing as we have the puck a lot and are for the most part soft as butter.

The Wideman effect is gone. The league is trying to let teams like the Flames, Avs and Leafs play the speed skill brand of hockey. Penalties are being called for the most part. Yeah tonight wasn’t great but it happens.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Of course we know, which is why the rules have changed to what they are. I feel like the rules that are in place today are pretty common sense. Hitting is a legal form of defence, and there shouldn't be something a player can do to make themselves "unhittable" while they are possessing the puck.

Currently, every player who has the puck has the ability to prevent a hit from hitting their head legally. Backlund failed to protect himself tonight, and Dumba should not be forced to pay a penalty for that.

If a player goes out of his way and hits the head illegally anyway, then yes, get that out of the game. Throw the book at them. Several of the examples you have quoted are already against the rules now to prevent those kinds of injuries. So you're arguing a moot point, or at least with a different set of goalposts regarding the Dumba hit tonight.

Watch the clip again watch Dumba's change course to ensure contact with the head. He then turns his body 90 degrees just before contact to ensure his shoulder contacts Backlunds head while he leaves his feet . On the reverse view watch him explode his elbow through Backlunds head. This was not accidental. This hit was meant to punish and Dumba leaving his feet emphasizes his intent.

NOTE Dumba's feet in the picture below leaving the ice.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The reason that top line is so good is because backlund takes all the hard matchups. His hands looked wrecked right now, but he's still capable of moving the puck up and defending. You really trust Ryan or jankowski to take those matchups, because I certainly don't.

The matchup argument I agree with, and by no means do I trust Ryan or Jankowski to directly replace Backlund. I just think the negatives of breaking up the Gaudreau-Lindholm combination right now would outweigh the positives of the difference between Lindholm or one of the others in that second-line role. As another poster mentioned, it's not like Lindy has played a ton of centre this year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The matchup argument I agree with, and by no means do I trust Ryan or Jankowski to directly replace Backlund. I just think the negatives of breaking up the Gaudreau-Lindholm combination right now would outweigh the positives of the difference between Lindholm or one of the others in that second-line role. As another poster mentioned, it's not like Lindy has played a ton of centre this year.

We will see. Ryan did play second line center in carolina, so I'm sure he will be the guy here as well. Hope he ups his defensive game, as he doesn't really need to put up a lot of points as long as he can hold his own.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Watch the clip again watch Dumba's change course to ensure contact with the head. He then turns his body 90 degrees just before contact to ensure his shoulder contacts Backlunds head while he leaves his feet . On the reverse view watch him explode his elbow through Backlunds head. This was not accidental. This hit was meant to punish and Dumba leaving his feet emphasizes his intent.

You're using loaded words that really don't have a ton of meaning. He left his feet after contact, which is simply the result of an elastic collision where the guy being hit has a lower centre of mass than the guy hitting. Dumba's arms were tucked going into contact, and an outward push is completely natural and instinctive when making a hit, because the resistive force from the person being hit pushes back against you. Follow-throughs are inevitable because of the nature of the physics in a hit. To better conceptualize this, think about what you would do if you were going to run into a wall. Now think about what your arms would do if the wall gave way.

Those two features you're talking about are both inevitable, and constants in hits that have this geometry. I don't fault you one bit for being mad about it given an important player got hurt and it could have been avoided, but I think you're misdirecting your rage in a bit of a witch hunt, and you're really reaching.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We will see. Ryan did play second line center in carolina, so I'm sure he will be the guy here as well. Hope he ups his defensive game, as he doesn't really need to put up a lot of points as long as he can hold his own.
Possibly. Ryan does get trusted to play the PP and win key draws already, so that should probably be an indicator.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I actually like Ryan defensively. That’s why the coach likes him. He has been useless offensively though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad