Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild Sign Jonas Brodin to Extension (7 year, $6M AAV)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Brodin, a defender for the new NHL. He is not only fast, but has great edges and transitions. Not super physical, but big enough to not get overwhelmed. Good puck handler, good passer. Tends to err on the side of conservative rather than risky. Wins board battles, sometimes against two guys. Excellent defending line rushes and odd man rushes. Has an uncanny ability to save goals in the crease. Excellent judgement and IQ. You put him on MacDavid or Mackinnon. The sort of guy you have out on in the final few minutes of a close game where you are tied, or ahead.

He does not do big blow up hits, but guess what, almost no one does. They were risky plays back in Scott Stevens time, but even more so know due to the increased speed and edgework of players, and in any event, the league is penalizing those hits at a greater rate than ever. The good ol' days of hitting man going across the middle of the ice when his head is down are gone forever.

When he came into the league he was skinny. He is now filled out...probably about 6'1", 190. Superb condition. Great athlete. I would say that he is more likely than most to keep in good shape well into his 30's, and still be effective at the end of this contract. He tends to rely on smarts, agility, a great stick, and speed to defend rather than rugged play, which will also lead to less wear and tear.

He was lucky enough to play with Suter for his first couple of years, and I'm sure he learned a ton. Having Spurgeon around to watch, and very occasionally play with, must've helped, too. Both are very smart players, and really know how to defend.

I could have sworn this guy was 6'3 and 205 lbs. Who the hell am I thinking of that's a similar style/nationality to Brodin that's that size?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's a good deal.

Could be less than ideal on the back few years, but that's tomorrow's problem. Would imagine this seals Dumbas fate with the team

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nah, we can still keep Dumba and go 4x4. Losing Greenway or Kunin would hurt a bit, but it's preferable to losing Dumba.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nah, we can still keep Dumba and go 4x4. Losing Greenway or Kunin would hurt a bit, but it's preferable to losing Dumba.

Though would would presume the team that's looking to be competitive would need a new top 6 centre. And the Wilds D men are some of their most valuable trade chips. If 3 of the top 4 arent going anywhere due to NMC, Dumba seems the odd man out...

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Fantastic deal. Elite skating/gaps, great first pass, starts transition the other way. Barring major knee injury, will continue to do what he has done, and probably add some more points for first half of term...people really haven't watched a lot of his games. If they have, they haven't watched his shifts.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I'm a stat guy, but I can't sit at the altar of fancy stats here. Anyone that thinks Brodin is a better offensive producer than Girard is just out to lunch. I've been following Brodin for years. He's a great D, this deal just doesn't make sense to me. I don't care if he is the best defensive defenseman as some analytical models paint him, you don't tie this type of money up in that type of defenseman at this age.
Based on what I seen from girard against Dallas I would much sooner have Brodin .

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Though would would presume the team that's looking to be competitive would need a new top 6 centre. And the Wilds D men are some of their most valuable trade chips. If 3 of the top 4 arent going anywhere due to NMC, Dumba seems the odd man out...

Given what the Wild have seen out of Dumba, I’m not sure how another team and the Wild build a deal that MN can feel good about relative to what his value is post-injury.

Things get more murky when you consider that he’s likely more valuable and “available” to more teams after the expansion draft when teams do not need to concern themselves with protection slots ever again.

RHD that can shoot and have mobility while not being a liability defensively are never not going to to valuable to some degree. I do not see the need to move him for a player that could be near his current level value-wise, at this point.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Good deal, he's kinda like Niskanen, not flashy but ties the defense together by being effective at the right things. Half the NHL could really use him

Reactions: topshelf15

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I was hoping for him on the Habs . $6 million a year for what he brings is a good deal. At 34 he’ll still be a quality top4 d

Reactions: HotDish

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
This reminds me of the Fowler deal. It’s higher than I expected but it’s a fair contract. Just not a discount like teams hope for.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Guarantee this contract looks awful in two years. Classic Vlasic.
Quoting this because I disagree vehemently.
In fact I suspect that once Suter retires and he gets more ice-time and gets an extra 18-20 points on the powerplay then stats watchers will be cluttering the mainboards with "wow, who is this Brodin guy?" posts.

If you evaluate d based on raw points without knowing their roles and circumstances, then you don't know what you're talking about and will be dunked on constantly by reality.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Quoting this because I disagree vehemently.
In fact I suspect that once Suter retires and he gets more ice-time and gets an extra 18-20 points on the powerplay then stats watchers will be cluttering the mainboards with "wow, who is this Brodin guy?" posts.

If you evaluate d based on raw points without knowing their roles and circumstances, then you don't know what you're talking about and will be dunked on constantly by reality.

Neat. DM me in two years.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Take an average, run-of-the-mill, 27 year old defenseman and you're probably looking at a $4 million player. Average on defense, average on offense. Make that average player elite at one end (in Brodin's case, defense) and there's your extra $1.5-$2 million. If he was an offensive player, he's probably looking at an extra $3-$4 million, because points get paid. Both (Pietrangelo) and it's ~$9M+.

And before the pushback on Brodin not even being an 'average offensive player', over the last 3 years he's 56th in 5v5 points by defensemen and 68th out of 114 in 5v5 P/60 among defensemen with 3,000 minutes putting him in the same company as Brodie, Provorov and Doughty.

Reactions: HotDish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad