Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild Sign Jonas Brodin to Extension (7 year, $6M AAV)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I would say it’s about fair value. He’s great defensively, definitely worth the cap hit for now. Term may be a touch on the long side but he’s only 27, it’s not like he’s signed until 38.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Good deal.

Now the C. Addison deal will pay off whe nDumba goes at the TDL

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems about right. Not sure I get why they went 7 years though.

Everyone loves purely defensive defenseman right up until they don't. Vlasic, Alzner, McDonald, Seabrook, M. Staal, even Doughty. All players lauded for their defensive abilities that have turned into poor contracts in somewhat short order. Brodin has a bit different style so maybe that's not as big of concern.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Well, since my guess you like the Leafs, you should not give players big contract was main job is to score and does not when it matters.
So, you should now, defending is not that easy...
I suggest re-reading and understanding what I quoted and what I said before going on some weird tangent about another team you allow to live rent-free.

My post had nothing to do with Brodin. I quoted a post saying “6 mil x 7 years for a primarily defensive defenseman is a terrible deal.”, and I found it funny that “a primarily defensive defenceman” was treated as a negative roll. Meanwhile defending is the main expectation of defencemen. Had I quoted a post saying “6 mil x 7 years for Brodin is a terrible deal”, then I could understand someone getting their knickers in a knot.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Not a great deal and not a bad deal

Though I think this may begin casting away the idea that covid will force players to take ridiculously low/short contracts

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Rather than picking on seemingly popular whipping boy Tyler Myers (who isn't a bad defenseman IMO), I decided to look at the 5.5M - 6.5M peer cohort. Here is the CapFriendly link:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Pretty comparable Ds top to bottom, and Brodin fits right in. Only contract that truly stands out as "bad" on the list is Boychuk, but age just caught up with him, it happens. Probably would exclude Niskanen, Staal and Stralman, they seem to be also aging. From that list in my opinion

Best value: Morrissey, Schmidt, Parayko (maybe eventually will have to add Lindell here, he is having monster playoffs IMO)
Worst value: Nurse

Reactions: jetsforever

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Rather than picking on seemingly popular whipping boy Tyler Myers (who isn't a bad defenseman IMO), I decided to look at the 5.5M - 6.5M peer cohort. Here is the CapFriendly link:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Pretty comparable Ds top to bottom, and Brodin fits right in. Only contract that truly stands out as "bad" on the list is Boychuk, but age just caught up with him, it happens. Probably would exclude Niskanen, Staal and Stralman, they seem to be also aging. From that list in my opinion

Best value: Morrissey, Schmidt, Parayko (maybe eventually will have to add Lindell here, he is having monster playoffs IMO)
Worst value: Nurse

Brodin is easily better than Morrissey, Schmidt, and Lindell.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodin, a defender for the new NHL. He is not only fast, but has great edges and transitions. Not super physical, but big enough to not get overwhelmed. Good puck handler, good passer. Tends to err on the side of conservative rather than risky. Wins board battles, sometimes against two guys. Excellent defending line rushes and odd man rushes. Has an uncanny ability to save goals in the crease. Excellent judgement and IQ. You put him on MacDavid or Mackinnon. The sort of guy you have out on in the final few minutes of a close game where you are tied, or ahead.

He does not do big blow up hits, but guess what, almost no one does. They were risky plays back in Scott Stevens time, but even more so know due to the increased speed and edgework of players, and in any event, the league is penalizing those hits at a greater rate than ever. The good ol' days of hitting man going across the middle of the ice when his head is down are gone forever.

When he came into the league he was skinny. He is now filled out...probably about 6'1", 190. Superb condition. Great athlete. I would say that he is more likely than most to keep in good shape well into his 30's, and still be effective at the end of this contract. He tends to rely on smarts, agility, a great stick, and speed to defend rather than rugged play, which will also lead to less wear and tear.

He was lucky enough to play with Suter for his first couple of years, and I'm sure he learned a ton. Having Spurgeon around to watch, and very occasionally play with, must've helped, too. Both are very smart players, and really know how to defend.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As has been noted earlier, Brodin has a NMC for the first 4 years of the contract, so trading for him is now out of the question.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Count me in the minority of Wild fans who does see holes in his game and does see some issues if they ultimately want to keep Brodin and sell Dumba based around what likely is his current value.

However, this is about the break even point where I was okay with the team going. Over this threshold, as I said in our forum, I felt it was best to move on given the money already committed to the entire core. It’s a fair deal for a player you’re not really going to replace, just mitigate the drop off with the next defender in line.

The article below complete with video clips lays out Jonas Brodin to a ‘T’ and why he is so valuable to the Wild.

Three Skills that make Jonas Brodin One of the top Defenders in the NHL - The Point Data-driven hockey storytelling that gets right to the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad