Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild Sign Jonas Brodin to Extension (7 year, $6M AAV)

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I have no idea what this giberish is supposed to mean,
only fans who are unsure of their players, bring up advanced? stats.

You cannot possibly gesture that Brodin is better what someone like Parayko?
Minny fans keep saying we, who don't see him play much, don't know how good he is,
but then you put this nonsense up.... lol.

And only fans who can't understand advanced stats bring up point totals to value a defenseman's impact.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Esa Lindell (26), twice as good as what Jonas Brodin is, makes 4.8 mill next season, 7 mill in 21-22
+ Esa actually has offensive upside while being a defensive defenseman

Lindell's contract became cheap, bargain, after this contract.

I want what you're smoking :help:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Esa Lindell (26), twice as good as what Jonas Brodin is, makes 4.8 mill next season, 7 mill in 21-22
+ Esa actually has offensive upside while being a defensive defenseman

Lindell's contract became cheap, bargain, after this contract.
Lindell can't play defense like Brodin can. He wishes he could.

He may be the best overall defense playing D in the league (very arguable, but a top 3 for sure) and one of the best skaters in the league. His gap control and stick work is elite. That's what your paying for. It doesn't need to show up on the 'stat' sheet.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Do any of them play center?

4f6iwo

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not even close.

So, defense is not important in today's NHL? News to me, and Dallas, NYI, and TBL, let alone last year's champ, STL.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Are the wild in the worst spot in terms of players/prospects/contracts/trade chips?

I ask that genuinely.. not being a dick.
Players - We at least made the play in. Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, NJ, Anaheim, LA and San Jose didn't.

Prospects - Obviously this is subjective, but The Athletic ranked us #15 in organizational rankings, which is basically prospect rankings. Of the teams who didn't make the play in San Jose, Anaheim and Detroit all finished worse than the Wild in those rankings.

Contracts - We have $13 million in cap space with 4 roster spots to fill. So while we have some contracts that others might consider "bad", they aren't really preventing us from making any moves. Anaheim has no cap space. San Jose has $14 million in cap space with 7 spots to fill. Detroit has $34 million with 12 spots to fill.

Trade Chips - I'm just going to use draft picks here since it kind of overlaps with prospects. The Wild have all of our own 1st and 2nd rounders and have Pittsburgh's 1st next year. Anaheim has all of their own 1st and 2nd round picks and Boston's 1st this year. San Jose doesn't have their 1st round pick this year but have Tampa Bay's. They have Colorado's 2nd this year, but not their own next year. Detroit has their own 1sts and 2 additional 2nd rounders this year and one next year

I would say Detroit, San Jose and Anaheim are all objectively in worse spots.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Well Brodin is a very careful defender, and extremly quite player. Few misstakes, not making so much body contact, trying to read the game better than the opponent.

A good player to have, probably a player you win with, as he also has a WC gold medal. I think he also has a JWC medal? But damn! 6$ millions!! In a cpcrunch world is nearly unttradeable!!!

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I have no idea what this giberish is supposed to mean,
only fans who are unsure of their players, bring up advanced? stats.

You cannot possibly gesture that Brodin is better what someone like Parayko?
Minny fans keep saying we, who don't see him play much, don't know how good he is,
but then you put this nonsense up.... lol.
The master of bad take threads with another bad take.
We‘re not worthy...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
...and almost, Parise. Koivu, retiring. Staal likely gone in a year. Dubnyk gone either this off season, or definitely at the end of it.

Kaprizov and Khakonen in this year. Addison, Boldy, and maybe Khovanov/Beckman in the year afterward.

Seems like a lot of turnover to me.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Is being middle of the pack in under 22 year olds and having half your cap tied up in unmovable contracts really something to brag about?
Is saying that your team's outlook is at worst 28th out of 31 teams "bragging?"

Does having the same amount of playoff wins as the Minnesota Wild over the past two seasons really put you in the position to throw stones?

Did someone from Minnesota steal your girlfriend?

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
I call trading Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask an incredible mistake and one of the worst trades of the decade. How about you? :laugh:

To be fair though, I like all the other moves and totally agree.
The Rask/Nino trade was bad, but not one of the worst of the decade IMO. If nino had continued his hot streak into this year then I would agree but he struggled this year a bit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is saying that your team's outlook is at worst 28th out of 31 teams "bragging?"

Does having the same amount of playoff wins as the Minnesota Wild over the past two seasons really put you in the position to throw stones?

Did someone from Minnesota steal your girlfriend?

We're talking 22 years and younger. The Penguins didn't just get gifted a playoff chance.

I'm not sure what the Penguins even have to do with this conversation.

The Wild's core is all over 27 years old outside of Fiala and Kaprizov. The contracts and trades they've signed recently make no sense in building around those two players and their other prospects.

The Bradon Tanev contract was really bad. The Jack Johnson contract was really bad. Marcus Pettersson is a relatively market value contract that I would criticize. The Penguin's prospect pool is a wish and prayer right now. Does that help?

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We're talking 22 years and younger. The Penguins didn't just get gifted a playoff chance.

I'm not sure what the Penguins even have to do with this conversation.

The Wild's core is all over 27 years old outside of Fiala and Kaprizov. The contracts and trades they've signed recently make no sense in building around those two players and their other prospects.

The Bradon Tanev contract was really bad. The Jack Johnson contract was really bad. Marcus Pettersson is a relatively market value contract that I would criticize. Does that help?

22 is an arbitrary cutoff.

30 and older: Suter, Spurgeon, Parise, Zuccarello

27 and under: Brodin, Dumba, Soucy, Fiala, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, Greenway, Donato, Kaprizov, Kahkonen

The "retirement home" nonsense continues to be overblown.

Prospect pool ranked, at worst, middle of the pack. Probably more in the 10-15 range and we get to add a 9th overall pick in a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
22 is an arbitrary cutoff.

30 and older: Suter, Spurgeon, Parise, Zuccarello

27 and under: Brodin, Dumba, Soucy, Fiala, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, Greenway, Donato, Kaprizov, Kahkonen

The "retirement home" nonsense continues to be overblown.

Prospect pool ranked, at worst, middle of the pack. Probably more in the 10-15 range and we get to add a 9th overall pick in a month.
I actually loled at the 22 cutoff. Fiala 24, Kaprizov 23, Eriksson Ek 23, Greenway 23, Donato 24, and Hartman 25 just for forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad