Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild Sign Jonas Brodin to Extension (7 year, $6M AAV)

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
It buys 7 years of UFA time. How many top pairing defenseman are getting 6 mil AAV on the open market? Not many. Just go back and look at what Defensman got last free agency.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. Top pairing dmen are making 9+ million these days. That person's clueless.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I honestly think this may be a mistake for the Wild. Not the signing itself, but the NMC. IMO would've made a lot more sense to pay the higher AAV and get him signed without a NMC.

It makes sense right now to stay competitive since there's a chance Fiala and Kaprizov could be the gamebreaking talent they've been looking for, but the fact remains there is a giant, gaping hole in the center position. Add onto that Suter + Parise's contracts are going to hamper the team sooner than later either by continuing to play or the cap re-capture penalty, it would've made sense to give themselves a self-destruct button in case Kaprizov and Fiala aren't the answer.

As is, the Wild are going to either become good enough to be a contender or be in no-man lands for the a long time.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I honestly think this may be a mistake for the Wild. Not the signing itself, but the NMC. IMO would've made a lot more sense to pay the higher AAV and get him signed without a NMC.

It makes sense right now to stay competitive since there's a chance Fiala and Kaprizov could be the gamebreaking talent they've been looking for, but the fact remains there is a giant, gaping hole in the center position. Add onto that Suter + Parise's contracts are going to hamper the team sooner than later either by continuing to play or the cap re-capture penalty, it would've made sense to give themselves a self-destruct button in case Kaprizov and Fiala aren't the answer.

As is, the Wild are going to either become good enough to be a contender or be in no-man lands for the a long time.

The NMC gets removed from his contract from year 5 to 7.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Higher AAV could make the 2021 off season pretty uncomfortable cap-wise. $6M was about the limit if we have any illusions of addressing center and/or goalie in any meaningful way.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The NMC gets removed from his contract from year 5 to 7.

Ehh still not great, as Spurgeon, Brodin, and Zucc all having NMC for the foreseeable future and Parise + Suter around, the only option is to try to remain competitive. Which again is fine, but it's basically all banking on Kaprizov and Fiala. If they aren't superstars and simply just good players, I don't see the Wild becoming much more than a playoff bubble team. The Parise + Suter era is coming to a close and it could've been a timely rebuild to have it planned around the last 3-4 years of their contracts/re-capture penalty years.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Ehh still not great, as Spurgeon, Brodin, and Zucc all having NMC for the foreseeable future and Parise + Suter around, the only option is to try to remain competitive. Which again is fine, but it's basically all banking on Kaprizov and Fiala. If they aren't superstars and simply just good players, I don't see the Wild becoming much more than a playoff bubble team. The Parise + Suter era is coming to a close and it could've been a timely rebuild to have it planned around the last 3-4 years of their contracts/re-capture penalty years.

My point is, Brodin isn't the problem here.
Those other NMC contracts you mention are not a very pretty sight, but closing up Brodin who is arguably the best defensive defender in the league to a long term deal with fair+ dollar is not what is going to hold this franchise back these coming years. The other contracts will, and they will have to get dressed even if Brodin is on the team or not.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
My point is, Brodin isn't the problem here.
Those other NMC contracts you mention are not a very pretty sight, but closing up Brodin who is arguably the best defensive defender in the league to a long term deal with fair+ dollar is not what is going to hold this franchise back these coming years. The other contracts will, and they will have to get dressed even if Brodin is on the team or not.

But that's my point. The combination of Spurgeon + Brodin makes the team too good to go through a rebuild. In a normal salary cap world it's hard enough to compete with a bunch of dead cap space, but with the addition of a flat cap the next few years it makes it extremely difficult.

I'm just saying I think it would've been prudent to give them an option to blow it all up. Now they can't.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Dumba at the trade deadline doesn't make sense if you want a top 6 center

I don't think you can get top4 center out of Dumba right now with 6m AAV. If he sits on on PP1 until TDL and goes on a tear, then maybe.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
But that's my point. The combination of Spurgeon + Brodin makes the team too good to go through a rebuild. In a normal salary cap world it's hard enough to compete with a bunch of dead cap space, but with the addition of a flat cap the next few years it makes it extremely difficult.

I'm just saying I think it would've been prudent to give them an option to blow it all up. Now they can't.

They would/will never do that anyway as long as the owner of the franchise is named Craig Leipold.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So the old be awful in order to be good opinion has shown up. How's that working in Buffalo, ARI, and Edmonton?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
0+9 -4 with 14 penalty minutes in 48 play-off games.
30+116 +47 with 162 penalty minutes in 555 regular season games.

After the 27-28 he has earned almost 70 million dollars in his career, at 35..
for a purely defensive defenseman, that's....crazy big money, crazy big money for anyone tbh...
- he is not even a physical defensive defenseman

What's up with Minny with giving total nutcracker contracts?
Something up with their water???

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Over the last 3 years, at 5v5:

Brodin
224 games
3,960 minutes
53 points
52.53 xGF%
54.05 HDCF%

Colton Parayko
226 games
4,205 minutes
53 points
52.36 xGF%
51.28 HDCF%

Parayko signed for $5.5M per year 3 summers ago.

I have no idea what this giberish is supposed to mean,
only fans who are unsure of their players, bring up advanced? stats.

You cannot possibly gesture that Brodin is better what someone like Parayko?
Minny fans keep saying we, who don't see him play much, don't know how good he is,
but then you put this nonsense up.... lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Minny fans keep saying we, who don't see him play much, don't know how good he is,

What the hell do Leafs fans know about Defense? Brodin and Parayko are comparables. You guys thought Barrie was a solution and were pumping him up. So I'd hide in the shadows with your defense analysis and cross your fingers Pietrangelo will sign.

Who's better all around? Muzzin or Rielly?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Esa Lindell (26), twice as good as what Jonas Brodin is, makes 4.8 mill next season, 7 mill in 21-22
+ Esa actually has offensive upside while being a defensive defenseman

Lindell's contract became cheap, bargain, after this contract.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
0+9 -4 with 14 penalty minutes in 48 play-off games.
30+116 +47 with 162 penalty minutes in 555 regular season games.

After the 27-28 he has earned almost 70 million dollars in his career, at 35..
for a purely defensive defenseman, that's....crazy big money, crazy big money for anyone tbh...
- he is not even a physical defensive defenseman

What's up with Minny with giving total nutcracker contracts?
Something up with their water???
It could be worse. We could have given Mitch Marner $11.6 million

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Defensive defensemen only work for your team, if your team wins, is winning.

I mean...it is a goal scoring game / sport after all.
- you have a defensive defenseman in your team, who only helps you, a lot, in your d-zone,
that's great, but if your team can't score enough goals to win...yeah
Sure its not the d-man's fault but...two edge sword and all.

I have not said Brodin sucked, that he is a poor defenseman but,
i'm questioning the contract, which is over payment.

He haves to be the #1 d-man in your team to make up his contract
is he? is a player that will help you win?, for example;
Esa Lindell is that for Dallas. (not the #1 d-man, but helps team to win)

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Defensive defensemen only work for your team, if your team wins, is winning.

I mean...it is a goal scoring game / sport after all.
- you have a defensive defenseman in your team, who only helps you, a lot, in your d-zone,
that's great, but if your team can't score enough goals to win...yeah
Sure its not the d-man's fault but...two edge sword and all.

I have not said Brodin sucked, that he is a poor defenseman but,
i'm questioning the contract, which is over payment.

He haves to be the #1 d-man in your team to make up his contract
is he? is a player that will help you win?, for example;
Esa Lindell is that for Dallas. (not the #1 d-man, but helps team to win)

Since when do pending UFA #1 Ds sign for 6 million dollars?

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Points aren’t advanced stats and your being uneducated about them isn’t really my problem.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Esa Lindell (26), twice as good as what Jonas Brodin is, makes 4.8 mill next season, 7 mill in 21-22
+ Esa actually has offensive upside while being a defensive defenseman

Lindell's contract became cheap, bargain, after this contract.

This is hall of fame level preposterous.

In the last 3 seasons at 5v5. Your “offensive upside” is PP time.

Lindell = 8 goals and 37 assists.
Brodin = 11 goals and 42 assists.

If these stats aren’t too advanced for you, I have dozens of others that will show you how much better Brodin is than Lindell defensively, at driving play, and pretty much any other area of the ice you want to mention aside from PP time that Brodin doesn’t get.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

Back at ya. You should try watching the rest of the league sometime before having such strong opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->