Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild and Dumba settle (5 years, $6M AAV)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
6M for a D that's 24 and scored 50 pts (19th for d) and was 7th in even strength points for Defenseman. He suffers the occasional brain fart that d of his ilk are prone too (ie Myers and gardiner). Minnesota wasn't a good Corsi team. It was articulated that they're stats suggested that they'd rather give up high low quality shots and limit the high danger shots/exp goals so I don't expect dumba to be a great Corsi player...7.5% of the cap for a D of his skillset and age is fair. If he had consistent strong defensive play with the same scoring he'd be on the brink of elite d status.
the trick though, is that probably a lot of that offense comes as a result of his bad defensive plays. I'm not saying he's overall a bad defensive player, just that a lot of his offense probably comes from gambling more than a better two-way player would.

Then again, he's only 23. That is crazy young for a D. He could get a lot better, and maybe ease up on the gambles, ending up with similar point totals but also above average D if he commits to it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
the trick though, is that probably a lot of that offense comes as a result of his bad defensive plays. I'm not saying he's overall a bad defensive player, just that a lot of his offense probably comes from gambling more than a better two-way player would.

Then again, he's only 23. That is crazy young for a D. He could get a lot better, and maybe ease up on the gambles, ending up with similar point totals but also above average D if he commits to it.

Not as much as you'd think.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba has also been shortchanged on PP TOI because Suter and Spurgeon get a lot of that time. That should change in the future.... The other two are good but Dumba is made for the PP.

Reactions: TaLoN and rynryn

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
im surprised that this got done before trouba's # came out. good for both sides. hopefully minny overpaid at this $ but i doubt it.

I'm not. Fenton wanted it done before Trouba's arb award, as it would be a comp and give Dumba leverage. Id suspect hes the one that blinked.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Given what Rielly and Lindholm went for this is a horrific contract. Doesn’t help Jets with Trouba either.

Those contracts were signed 2 years ago and at that point Reilly's most productive season was 36 points and Lindholm's was 34 points (still is). Dumba just put up a 34 point season, followed up with a 50 point season. Is he as strong defensively as the other 2, no... but at the time of the contract signings he has shown he is superior offensively. Dumba was average defensively and, as a young dman, is moving in the right direction in that regard.

If i'I paying a D $6m I'd want them to be strong defensively or a top-10 offensive D. Neither of which describes Dumba.

Yeah, good luck with that... that is a very laughable post. You realize that 2 years ago the Flames signed Giordano to a $6.75 AAV and since then he ranks 29th with his offensive numbers without missing a game (40th if you average it out.

I think this deal is fair for a 5 YEAR deal. This is not a steal by any means... let's not pretend this is a 7-8 year deal. An 8 year deal would have probably cost the Wild another $25-$28m... $30m+$28m = $58m/8 = $7.25m AAV.

I like the signing though... I think Dumba has the potential to maintain the offense and improve the defensive side of his game.

Josh Hockey

Jul 20, 2018
Dumba is rep’d by Craig Oster. The $6M Cap Hit has him in 2nd in Total Cap Hit on the Agent Leaderboard. Dumba’s Cap Hit is tied with Eberle for 3rd most of Oster’s clients, behind Lundqvist & E. Karlsson.

NHL Agents | Puckpedia

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Dumba looked extremely dangerous in the Jets series, at least for the first period or two of every game. He seemed to lose his man a bit in the 3rd period the more he was used. Not sure if a healthy Suter reduces Dumba's minutes by much, but he might have been playing more than he could handle. If he could play like he did in the first period or two against the Jets all the time he'd definitely be a major steal at this contract price.

Definitely think he's a bit underrated.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty decent deal for a guy who has developed well and will likely continue to. If he can work on his defensive game and be a little less of a liability back there this is going to have great value in a couple years. Dumba is a phenomenal athlete, I think there's a good chance he could be top pairing material at some point in his career.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
This contract comes in at almost the exact terms I was guessing, so I'm not surprised, and I don't think it's an overpay or an underpay. I believe it's exactly what Dumba is worth at this moment. That people expect a top pairing defender to cost $6million per year is laughable. That's #3 defenseman money these days, and Dumba is a #3. He plays #3 minutes, while being outstanding offensively and average defensively.

This is/will be a good contract for what Dumba brings. Man the 2012 draft was insane for D. No franchise level defenseman, but a ton of top 4 talent

I don't think that "franchise defenseman" ship has sailed yet. There are a few guys in that draft that I think are still improving and may make it there. Of course, that also depends on your definition of the term. Mine may be different than yours.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I would say that is a reasonable deal. No nmc/ntc attached can make life easier if they shift direction down the road as well.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would say that is a reasonable deal. No nmc/ntc attached can make life easier if they shift direction down the road as well.

Modified NTC the last two years from what I've heard.

Reactions: bukwas

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Good deal....

for the rest of the NHL.

bad contracts for bad players like this kill any team's chances of winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad