Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild and Dumba settle (5 years, $6M AAV)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
A player who has actually gotten better every season he has been in the league.

View attachment 131123
If this progression continues, and I'm sure it will, this deal is a steal for Fenton.
Hm, here I was thinking that his last season is likely due for regression.

For some reason, I don't think it's very sustainable to expect significant progress every single year.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I like Dumba. He has all the tools to be a top 2D. He was a bit over-whelmed at times against the Jets but you should have seen Trouba against LVGK.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Sorry to fill your Dumba thread, (that's the joke), with Trouba talk but we in Winnipeg are in a bit of a pickle.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Hm, here I was thinking that his last season is likely due for regression.

For some reason, I don't think it's very sustainable to expect significant progress every single year.
When Dumba gets to 123 points he will level off for a few years and then decline rapidly.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
How is WAR determined? Could this be an artifact of players under 25 generally being part of the supporting cast on good teams, whereas by the time they're in their late 20's they're the main guys playing against matchups? Or does WAR take into account the quality of opponents, offensive/defensive zone starts, etc.?

NHL d-men under 23 or 24 are usually the top-pairing talents ... the bottom pairing guys plug away in the AHL til 25-26, finally make the NHL and bring down the stats for that age. My best guess anyway. WAR could just be garbage too. Either way, a chart saying that d-men peak (not just offensively but all around) at 22 is misleading at best.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
NHL d-men under 23 or 24 are usually the top-pairing talents ... the bottom pairing guys plug away in the AHL til 25-26, finally make the NHL and bring down the stats for that age. My best guess anyway. WAR could just be garbage too. Either way, a chart saying that d-men peak (not just offensively but all around) at 22 is misleading at best.

I would think WAR and GAR are higher for great defensemen on shallow/bad teams (defenses) and the elite defensemen of the league. Situations where one guy really can be head and shoulders bove his replacement. So I think it's a cool stat to look at, but probably doesn't tell much in the grand scheme of things.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He’s a really good offensive #3D. Can play on the top pairing with a super star or can anchor a second pairing with a solid #4-5 type.

No fan is upset when their team can lock up a good young top 3 defenseman. Good on the Wild.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Why would you chose to show CF% to pretend like that shows a player getting worse when actual relevant stats show they are clearly getting better. Goals and to a much lesser extent assists are actually real stats that matter. If a player each year is responsible for putting up more points then the previous year every year of his career thats actual improvement. That corsi and advanced stats garbage are not actual factors on a game.

Also Dumba>Rielly I dont know why people were saying you cant compare the 2 and they arent in the same league but speaking about the one that is clearly worse as the better one? I honestly dont want to look up the stats but im sure they follow then eye test. Id consider both more offensive D then shut down guys. Who averages more goals a season? I dont care about points or assists because anyone can get an assist. Im sure people could find a stat that shows zone start + TOI ÷ skate size × the circumference of a moose that would be better for Rielly then Dumba but Ill take the flying elephant in Minni on my D on this deal any day.

I’m not sure I agree with you on the dumba>Rielly thing. They’re similar offensively stat wise. Rielly is the better overall defensmen however. I think dumba’s offensive ceiling might be higher, but only time will tell. In terms of value Dumba probably has a bit more to a team due to being a RHD, but Reilly is the better defensmen RN IMO.

Reactions: Plickspect

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This is/will be a good contract for what Dumba brings. Man the 2012 draft was insane for D. No franchise level defenseman, but a ton of top 4 talent

Was just 6 years ago, who knows if there are any frinchise level defensmen. And I guess that kinda varies by definition. For me a frinchise defensmen is someone who is constantly talked about for the Norris.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I am positive Dumba's offensive ceiling and current acumen is higher than Reilly. FFS Half of Reilly's points came off PP time. What were his zone starts like? I honestly don't know but this isn't a knock on Reilly--he's supposed to be a more well rounded D and he is. Dumba was always a project guy that would be valuable only if he figured out how to play average D. we went through this arguing him vs Trouba too. I think Dumba had something like 46% Offensive zone starts and still ended up scoring most of his points 5v5

Reactions: TaLoN

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Was just 6 years ago, who knows if there are any frinchise level defensmen. And I guess that kinda varies by definition. For me a frinchise defensmen is someone who is constantly talked about for the Norris.

We have similar definitions. There are for sure number 1 Defenseman from this draft, just don't think any of them will attain that "franchise" status imo.

Hope I'm wrong though since I do have a horse in the race :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->