Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild and Dumba settle (5 years, $6M AAV)

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Not a bad deal at all. :thumbu:

Don’t know why people are criticizing this deal so much, seems quite in line.

Reactions: rynryn

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't really like it. Seems steep for Dumba to me, but then...he compiled a boatload of points last year, and it's been no secret that points are what get a defenceman paid in this day and age. Just as points are what tends to win Norris trophies nowadays.

Just not altogether sold on Dumba as the guy who is going to be that $6M anchor to your defence corps. Benefits a lot from having guys like Suter and particularly Spurgeon as a RHD ahead of him. But then, i guess the price of those true "anchor" guys is pushing ever higher into the stratosphere as well, and they aren't really $6M defencemen either anymore. I certainly need to readjust my perspective a bit if Dumba is what a $6M defenceman is these days.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I’m not sure I agree with you on the dumba>Rielly thing. They’re similar offensively stat wise. Rielly is the better overall defensmen however. I think dumba’s offensive ceiling might be higher, but only time will tell. In terms of value Dumba probably has a bit more to a team due to being a RHD, but Reilly is the better defensmen RN IMO.
Sure if you ignore Shot Suppression , Take-Aways , +/- and points Reilly is a much better Defenseman.....step away from the pipe bud .Reilly isn't even the best Leafs Defenseman , I would trade him for Dumba and throw in a + or take back some of Reilly's contract to get that deal done .

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I wouldn't mind being wrong on this one... but

oh well... you can join me with the sad face when it happens although I guess you might be way more surprised about it then the rest of us

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I can't believe some people are slamming this deal. Very fair for both parties. Last year he played the minutes of a top pair defender (24th in league, just under 24 minutes a night) and put up the production of a top pair defender. Defensive game still developing, but he's only 23. What am I missing that would suggest 6 mil is an overpay for that type of player?

Hopefully this gives Nurse and his agent a wake up call regarding their number for a long term deal (sounds like north of 5). Dumba is much more valuable.

Reactions: TaLoN and rynryn

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't really like it. Seems steep for Dumba to me, but then...he compiled a boatload of points last year, and it's been no secret that points are what get a defenceman paid in this day and age. Just as points are what tends to win Norris trophies nowadays.

Just not altogether sold on Dumba as the guy who is going to be that $6M anchor to your defence corps. Benefits a lot from having guys like Suter and particularly Spurgeon as a RHD ahead of him. But then, i guess the price of those true "anchor" guys is pushing ever higher into the stratosphere as well, and they aren't really $6M defencemen either anymore. I certainly need to readjust my perspective a bit if Dumba is what a $6M defenceman is these days.
The Wild have piles of anchors. They need motors, and Dumba's one of the best we've ever had.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Fair deal but I would have added to the AAV to add more term if you ask me. I’m guessing this deal takes him to UFA, rather lock up years at least years 6 and 7. That would have taken him to 30, he has a great trade asset just before decline when he can be somebody else’s problem IMO.

It buys out 4 years of UFA (he's played 5 NHL seasons now, of the 7 required to become a UFA).

It also means he signs a new contract a month before he turns 29. So he can sign a 6-8 year deal to take him up to age 35-37 (minus 1 month). I'd say his agent just set him up for a monster contract leading up to retirement unless the CBA changes things drastically when it's settled in 2020-21.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Apples and Oranges here.

reminds me of my favorite radio talk show debate here in the Edmonton market the past decade

in January of every year... all the 'smarties' on the talk shows... well, we cant rush the kids in... got to season them in ahl… do what the good teams do... let these kids learn their mistakes before we rush them

and every july… well we got to give this guy at least 9 games hes ready now

and every October... might as well keep him half the season even though hes struggling

and then 3-4 years later... why isn't this kid developing like we wanted?

I know I know... its always apples and oranges. we cant learn anything from the past because every new case is unique. if it was a mistake last time we did it, then we can by no means expect it to be a mistake this time.

whats that called again... doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? dang... someone else might be able to answer that question for me

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
reminds me of my favorite radio talk show debate here in the Edmonton market the past decade

in January of every year... all the 'smarties' on the talk shows... well, we cant rush the kids in... got to season them in ahl… do what the good teams do... let these kids learn their mistakes before we rush them

and every july… well we got to give this guy at least 9 games hes ready now

and every October... might as well keep him half the season even though hes struggling

and then 3-4 years later... why isn't this kid developing like we wanted?

I know I know... its always apples and oranges. we cant learn anything from the past because every new case is unique. if it was a mistake last time we did it, then we can by no means expect it to be a mistake this time.

whats that called again... doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? dang... someone else might be able to answer that question for me

What point are you trying to make here?

Reactions: 57special

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Well yeah that’s why I asked.

in grade 8 social studies the teacher told us a famous quote... those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it

this saying can be applied to all sorts of human behavior but it always comes back to the same thing

sometimes, its a good idea not to pretend like we are reinventing the wheel. sometimes its a good idea to see patterns develop in the past and take warning that the might repeat. sometimes we should not be so quick to say apples and oranges

anyhow... good luck with this contract. im glad as hell it wasn't my team that did it. im not glad that it will help further weaken the already weak controls teams are putting on rfa with very shaky resumes.

this contract will be used in future arbitration rulings. the already cracked system gets hurt a little bit more

llp

Jun 2, 2008
What point are you trying to make here?
I think he's saying we shouldn't take Dumba out of the WHL for 9 games?

In any case. This is was what my prediction for what the contract would be. It's fair. He's 23 years old and very obviously progressing. I think people are assuming he's a 30-year-old player and has already plateaued which simply isn't true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad