Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Marcus Foligno signs extension (3 years, $3.1 Million AAV)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Solid wingers is one way to describe what the Minnesota Wild currently have, sure.

That's 7 out of 8 solid wingers relative to the roles they're being asked to play.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This Foligno contract really wouldn't be much of a detriment to a long play like you're talking about, but the Brodin deal might be, and the Spurgeon contract certainly will be.
They will be. I’m not going to say that Guerin’s tendency to give out player-friendly deals doesn’t alarm me. Add in that Parise is already giving us about 5 million in dead cap and I’m more worried. If I were building the team it would be focused on value contracts all around. For all the stuff Guerin spews about sacrificing for the team, where is the “you take less for the team so this team can win” talk?

Reactions: 2Pair

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think that's a tad extreme. He's not making 3.1 to be a 4th line checker. 40 point pace last season and it seems like his role is only going to grow. Considering the type of player that's plenty of offense if you're being reasonable.

10-15 goals, 30-35 points, good PKing, physical play and the occasional fight is the ask for $3.1M

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We just really need to get through this summer (Fiala, Kaprizov). Boldy and Rossi's ELC's will expire the same summer as Zuccarello's $6M and now Foligno's $3M. Not to mention that only leaves a year left on Parise and Suter's deals, and who knows what those situations will be at that time.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
10-15 goals, 30-35 points, good PKing, physical play and the occasional fight is the ask for $3.1M
He's played 9 NHL seasons. Has never had 15 goals. Has scored 10 or more in only 3 seasons. Has never had more than 25 points in any season. Paying a guy based on the hope that he can improve on his one outlier season seems like a bad idea to me.

Reactions: hmc1987

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's played 9 NHL seasons. Has never had 15 goals. Has scored 10 or more in only 3 seasons. Has never had more than 25 points in any season. Paying a guy based on the hope that he can improve on his one outlier season seems like a bad idea to me.

He also has 8 goals in a 57 game season, 18 points in a 47 game season.

Say what you want about pace, but there are more seasons than just one of that ballpark of quality of play.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I dunno man. That looks like the 13-14 Penguins wing core minus having two elite centers taking up the cap.

Lot riding on Kaprizov. Hopefully his outstanding camp translates to regular season success.

No one said it was great. Our top 3 defense is the part that's taking up the cap though, so it's fine.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
If he's literally in the top 1% of forwards defensively, who cares? We had cap space this off-season and didn't use it to sign any offensive threats. Why do you think this $3.1 million is going to hinder the Wild next summer? If Guerin isn't going to offer sheet Barzal or Cirelli when those teams would have actually had a tough time matching, and instead uses it on Johannson, Bjugstad, Bonino and Talbot, it's a pipe dream to think he'd use it wisely next off-season

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If he's literally in the top 1% of forwards defensively, who cares? We had cap space this off-season and didn't use it to sign any offensive threats. Why do you think this $3.1 million is going to hinder the Wild next summer? If Guerin isn't going to offer sheet Barzal or Cirelli when those teams would have actually had a tough time matching, and instead uses it on Johannson, Bjugstad, Bonino and Talbot, it's a pipe dream to think he'd use it wisely next off-season
He isn't

Reactions: Gurglesons

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wow, congrats to the player, that's a decent chunk of change for a bottom 6er right now.

For the Wild, I doubt it will hamstring them in anyway but I'm not sure I'd value him at this number and years. I don't know Ownership and how well off they are but I feel like this is not a guy i would really wanna commit $9+M right now as a 'small market' team. not a bad player and im sure he's important to the org/community but still.

anyway, more people should be happy for the player instead of bashing minnesota.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
BG:

“You can see teams, when they have a guy like this, they try to lock ‘em up. Internally, we were always talking about, ‘Well, if Marcus leaves or if we have to trade him, well, as soon as he leaves, we’re going to be trying to replace him,’ and there are just not many of them out there.”

He’s worth the contract. Cup wining teams always have guys like him for a reason.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He is a unique player who brings a good amount of physicality, but is still great defencively and doesn’t take a ton of penalties. He can play on any shut down line in the league which allows whichever team has him to open up their offencive players easier minutes. I wouldn’t mind him on my team with this contract

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Unless they’ve already made the decision to go 7-3.

In which case they need to expose Dumba or make a deal with Seattle to protect him. Doesn't make much sense when the forwards they get to protect this way are the likes of Greenway and Foligno. It's a weird deal to make at this point.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
This would have been expensive, pre-covid.

That said, he seems to be a popular player with the Wild. Brings a lot of bite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad