Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Marcus Foligno signs extension (3 years, $3.1 Million AAV)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's played 9 NHL seasons. Has never had 15 goals. Has scored 10 or more in only 3 seasons. Has never had more than 25 points in any season. Paying a guy based on the hope that he can improve on his one outlier season seems like a bad idea to me.
It's not even just "paying a guy based on hope that he can improve". Foligno was still signed for a year and they gave him 3 more year. It was real easy to wait and see if it was an outlier or not. beyond that, it was real easy to give 2 years instead of 3. I'm not going to pretend I know if Foligno would have taken that or not, but it just felt unnecessary at this time.

I don't think this is big enough to bite them in a few years, but again, just felt unnecessary.

Reactions: 2Pair

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Wow, congrats to the player, that's a decent chunk of change for a bottom 6er right now.

For the Wild, I doubt it will hamstring them in anyway but I'm not sure I'd value him at this number and years. I don't know Ownership and how well off they are but I feel like this is not a guy i would really wanna commit $9+M right now as a 'small market' team. not a bad player and im sure he's important to the org/community but still.

anyway, more people should be happy for the player instead of bashing minnesota.

Im not entirely sure you can consider Minnesota a small market hockey team.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
It's not even just "paying a guy based on hope that he can improve". Foligno was still signed for a year and they gave him 3 more year. It was real easy to wait and see if it was an outlier or not. beyond that, it was real easy to give 2 years instead of 3. I'm not going to pretend I know if Foligno would have taken that or not, but it just felt unnecessary at this time.

I don't think this is big enough to bite them in a few years, but again, just felt unnecessary.

Dude Minnesota has or were close to 30 mil or more in cap room for the end of upcoming hockey season.

Wild always takes care of their players. Spurgeon had 1yeat left. Brodin had 1 year left. Also, Guerin loved foligno , & just outspoken he can be in terms of leadership. This isn't about just points.

Foligno got like 500,000 raise, not a big deal

Reactions: mattihp

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Dude Minnesota has or were close to 30 mil or more in cap room for the end of upcoming hockey season.

Wild always takes care of their players. Spurgeon had 1yeat left. Brodin had 1 year left. Also, Guerin loved foligno , & just outspoken he can be in terms of leadership. This isn't about just points.

$23.7 at the moment.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Wow what an overpayment... sure he has intangibles, but he's a 4rth liner on a contender and 15 goals is his absolute highest upside. He is also injury prone since he plays a heavy game. I liked him in his Buffalo days, but I don't think this contract will age well.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Go away already. I didn't mention anything about the price being too high based on point production. I said there was room to wait if last season was an outliner with hope.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

You really should take it down a notch. Not everything GMBG touches is unquestionably a good move.

Plenty of reasons to question the contract given the flat cap world, and timing with upcoming expansion and the opportunity cost of what he might have returned at the deadline. And they still could have signed him after.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
You really should take it down a notch. Not everything GMBG touches is unquestionably a good move.

Plenty of reasons to question the contract given the flat cap world, and timing with upcoming expansion and the opportunity cost of what he might have returned at the deadline. And they still could have signed him after.

Minnesota doesn't want to trade him. He wasn't available at last trade deadline. He got 500,000-800,000 added to what he makes.

Only fans on here think covid is affecting every team. If you have followed Guerin moves, he keeps guys or signs guys to extension 1 year earlier. Foligno leadership, & being vocal after loses mass him a big favorite of Guerin as was reported. Wild also intend to win, so he wasn't going anywhere

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Go away already. I didn't mention anything about the price being too high based on point production. I said there was room to wait if last season was an outliner with hope.

& I gave you examples of Spurgeon being signed 1 year earlier, Brodin was signed 1 year earlier. Clearly it's how he operates as a GM.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Wow what an overpayment... sure he has intangibles, but he's a 4rth liner on a contender and 15 goals is his absolute highest upside. He is also injury prone since he plays a heavy game. I liked him in his Buffalo days, but I don't think this contract will age well.

500,000 is an overpayment to you?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Minnesota doesn't want to trade him. He wasn't available at last trade deadline. He got 500,000-800,000 added to what he makes.

Only fans on here think covid is affecting every team. If you have followed Guerin moves, he keeps guys or signs guys to extension 1 year earlier. Foligno leadership, & being vocal after loses mass him a big favorite of Guerin as was reported. Wild also intend to win, so he wasn't going anywhere

I follow Guerin's moves, and understand why he made this signing. But you go on the attack in every single Wild thread when there are perfectly legitimate reasons to question it. Just because Covid isn't hitting the Wild as hard as other team's, doesn't mean they shouldn't take the league wide situation into account.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
& I gave you examples of Spurgeon being signed 1 year earlier, Brodin was signed 1 year earlier. Clearly it's how he operates as a GM.
Clearly, that changes everything about it being "necessary". Also, there's a difference between those players who signed for 7 years. Just because it's "how he operates", doesn't mean it was necessary to make that move here with Foligno.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm personally a huge fan of Marcus Foligno, and I'm not a Wild or Sabres fan. The points may look unimpressive, but he's often playing on the 3rd line of not very offensively-strong teams, with a decent amount of PK time and zero PP time. He's a better offensive player than people give him credit for, like he's a solid 3rd liner offensively. Then you add in that he's big, very physical, very good defensively, has great hustle/compete level, a real leader in the locker room, he just brings so much to the table. Whenever I watch the Wild, he seems like a very noticeable player bringing quite a positive impact.

IMO he's a terrific 3rd liner, excellent at his role. Any coach would love to have this guy. It's quite a bit of money for his scoring numbers, but he brings so much else to the table, I think this is a fine deal. He'd be a UFA at the end of this season, and I honestly think he'd get this contract or more as a UFA.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
FWIW, I just checked out even strength points per 60 mins for last season (with a cutoff of 20 games played). Marcus Foligno was 86th among NHL forwards, with 2.07 points per 60 even strength mins: NHL Stats

To put that in better context, the next 5 guys immediately below him are:
  • Scheifele
  • Buchnevich
  • PLD
  • Hoffman
  • Toffoli
PPs are important too, and he's not a PP guy, but he's a very good even strength player - produces decently, big, very physical, great hustle and 2-way game. On your average NHL team he'd be roughly 3rd-4th among fowards in ES pts/60 mins. He's a really good prototypical 3rd liner.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Can someone list what trades and signings Guerin had made?

It'd be nice to see if he's as awful as I think.

Traded Zucker for Galchenyuk + Addison + (what ended up being) Pittsburgh's unprotected 2021 1st
Re-signed Eriksson Ek to a standard bridge
Re-signed Spurgeon 7 x $7.575
Re-signed Brodin 7 x $6
Traded Kunin for Bonino + 2nd (basically)
Traded Staal for Johansson
Re-signed Foligno 3 x $3.1
Signed Cam Talbot 3 x $3.7
Re-signed Greenway to a standard bridge

Could be smaller ones. This is just off the top of my head.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Traded Zucker for Galchenyuk + Addison + (what ended up being) Pittsburgh's unprotected 2021 1st
Re-signed Eriksson Ek to a standard bridge
Re-signed Spurgeon 7 x $7.575
Re-signed Brodin 7 x $6
Traded Kunin for Bonino + 2nd (basically)
Traded Staal for Johansson
Re-signed Foligno 3 x $3.1
Signed Cam Talbot 3 x $3.7
Re-signed Greenway to a standard bridge

Could be smaller ones. This is just off the top of my head.
Thanks.

Are you a Wilds fan? How would you rate his work so far?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks.

Are you a Wilds fan? How would you rate his work so far?

Not the Wild fan you quoted, but this way you can get multiple opinions.

I'm lukewarm at best with him. The Bonino and Johansson deals are really going to depend on what we get for them at the deadline, though I'm not a fan of moving Kunin. But if we don't move both players, and end up getting at least two 2nd round picks total, it's not going to be a win for me. The Kunin deal, anyway. Whatever we get for Johansson is sort of found money.

The Spurgeon, Brodin and Foligno contracts are all overpays, though not egregiously. Spurgeon and Brodin both having full NMC's also isn't the route I would have gone, and Spurgeon's contract is too long for my taste. Brodin's contract is...fine...but I don't like Spurgeon's.

Greenway, Ek, Talbot contracts are all good with me.

I was happy with the Zucker trade at the time, and I'll be happy with it regardless of where the pick ends up, though obviously the higher the pick is the better. I like Addison a lot and I think he's going to be a very solid top-4 D for us.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->