Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Marcus Foligno signs extension (3 years, $3.1 Million AAV)

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Can't see Seattle taking Foligno over Greenway, unless they want some immediate leadership. 3 years at 3 million makes it less likely Seattle takes him over a controlled RFA like Greenway. I don't understand the immediate need to sign him either.

Maybe because Guerin has gotten a head start on expansion draft, & know Zuccarello, or Parise are waiving

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He was under very consideration to be wild captain. you come into every threar bashing wild signing is pathetic. Focus on your team

I'm not basing the Wild. Fair value deal. Just nothing the Wild does has any semblance. Why are they giving Foligno this contract if they are focused on rebuilding? Why are they only doing moderate shuffling of the decks if they are focused on winning?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Wild have over 30 mil in cap room. Wild owner and wife are both billionaires
That is fair enough. However with all the free cap space and billionaire owners couldn't the cap space have been used better. I.e. taking cap dumps from teams for assets. Lou said the Islanders were trying to dump extra cap but couldn't etc.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I'm not basing the Wild. Fair value deal. Just nothing the Wild does has any semblance. Why are they giving Foligno this contract if they are focused on rebuilding? Why are they only doing moderate shuffling of the decks if they are focused on winning?

Wild were never rebuilding. That is a fact. They didn't sign Jared spurgeon to rebuild, they also intend to go all in on winning to convince Kaprizov to sign long term

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
That is fair enough. However with all the free cap space and billionaire owners couldn't the cap space have been used better. I.e. taking cap dumps from teams for assets. Lou said the Islanders were trying to dump extra cap but couldn't etc.

Because it's not wild responsibility to help other teams. Wild already have top 10, or 15 prospect pool with two 1st round pick in 21

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Ok well you just aren’t paying attention then if you think either of those things are true. The roster has had more turnover this year than in its history, and they are re-tooling. A scorched earth rebuild is not conducive or even possible with the way this defensive Corps is built. Keep the players that are actually good while exploring potential matches on a bunch of UFAs while the kids develop is the strategy, Foligno falls into the actually good player category.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ok well you just aren’t paying attention then if you think either of those things are true. The roster has had more turnover this year than in its history, and they are re-tooling. A scorched earth rebuild is not conducive or even possible with the way this defensive Corps is built. Keep the players that are actually good while exploring potential matches on a bunch of UFAs while the kids develop is the strategy, Foligno falls into the actually good player category.

He is a good player, but he is 29. If they are moving to get younger much like their other moves and signing it doesn't make sense. I guess you can argue they are trying to rebuild on the fly, but honestly I don't see that as possible with the paperweights that are Parise and Suter.

The issue with Minnesota is that they've continuously been not good enough to win and not good enough to get solid prospects.

I'm not sure how the moves this summer change that. They are basically hoping PIT falls flat on their face since they have a lottery 1st there.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Then why do they not have a top six center this season if they are going all in on winning?

Have you ever thought wild were counting on Marco Rossi? Or that they believe in what they have? Wild resigned players because they intend to go all out on resigning Kaprizov long term

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Maybe because Guerin has gotten a head start on expansion draft, & know Zuccarello, or Parise are waiving
Even if that came to be, in the scenario talked about above (which you ignored), I don't see Seattle taking Foligno over Greenway. So whoever is waving is irrelevant to my answer . Outside of the scenario being talked about (which you ignored), Foligno was signed for the upcoming season and signed a 3 year contract, keeping him on the team for 4 seasons (unless traded/taken by Seattle, etc). I still don't think there was a need to get this done now, and for 3 more years after his current contract ends. "yadda yadda billionaire"

Reactions: Marshall

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
He is a good player, but he is 29. If they are moving to get younger much like their other moves and signing it doesn't make sense. I guess you can argue they are trying to rebuild on the fly, but honestly I don't see that as possible with the paperweights that are Parise and Suter.

The issue with Minnesota is that they've continuously been not good enough to win and not good enough to get solid prospects.

I'm not sure how the moves this summer change that. They are basically hoping PIT falls flat on their face since they have a lottery 1st there.

Parise & suter aren't dead weight. they are still good. Wild cap room was 30 mil or more next year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Have you ever thought wild were counting on Marco Rossi? Or that they believe in what they have? Wild resigned players because they intend to go all out on resigning Kaprizov long term

I mean the Wild have some good prospects, but forcing Rossi into a top six role in an expedited season isn’t the way to succeed.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Even if that came to be, in the scenario talked about above (which you ignored), I don't see Seattle taking Foligno over Greenway. So whoever is waving is irrelevant to my answer . Outside of the scenario being talked about (which you ignored), Foligno was signed for the upcoming season and signed a 3 year contract, keeping him on the team for 4 seasons (unless traded/taken by Seattle, etc). I still don't think there was a need to get this done now, and for 3 more years after his current contract ends. "yadda yadda billionaire"

Dude you are ignoring the fact Zuccarello probably already waived , & one of Parise, or suter agreed to waive & in term wild will protect Greenway & foligno.

It's not that hard. The fact you don't understand why wild did this is baffling. Zuccarello being out much of season, & I am guessing Seattle won't want him leaving an open spot

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I wouldn’t have gone higher than 2.75 for him, but I feel like they could have signed him for even less than that if they just let the market play itself out. There wasn’t really a big demand for high price bottom-6’ers right now with the flat cap. I get signing him for expansion draft purposes, but is Seattle really going to take him over Greenway or someone like that? Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me overall.

Does Minnesota need a forward to expose?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Very good contract.

Foligno worth that $$ and 3 year term is just really fair for both sides.

Why didn't guerin just agree to the contract and sign it after the Seattle draft ?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dude you are ignoring the fact Zuccarello probably already waived , & one of Parise, or suter agreed to waive & in term wild will protect Greenway & foligno.

It's not that hard. The fact you don't understand why wild did this is baffling. Zuccarello being out much of season, & I am guessing Seattle won't want him leaving an open spot

Wow I would love to see your source for literally anything you say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad