Confirmed Trade: [MIN/COL] Ian Cole for Greg Pateryn

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Slightly sad for a Pens fan seeing how far he's fallen. Looks like a fair trade for both teams.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I remember when Cole was in his draft year there was a documentary (NHL Network?) about the Blues and their draft preparation since they had 3 picks in the 1st round and it trailed John Davidson as team President, Doug Armstrong as GM, Jarmo Kekäläinen as Chief Scout and the Blues scouts through the process.

I think it was Lars Eller and David Perron as the first 2 picks and the team was blown away by Cole's interview and workout stats and made him their 3rd pick in the 1st round.

It was a pretty interesting documentary if anyone knows where it might be posted (YouTube, etc.)

Reactions: VikingAv and Oneiro

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I remember when Cole was in his draft year there was a documentary (NHL Network?) about the Blues and their draft preparation since they had 3 picks in the 1st round and it trailed John Davidson as team President, Doug Armstrong as GM, Jarmo Kekäläinen as Chief Scout and the Blues scouts through the process.

I think it was Lars Eller and David Perron as the first 2 picks and the team was blown away by Cole's interview and workout stats and made him their 3rd pick in the 1st round.

It was a pretty interesting documentary if anyone knows where it might be posted (YouTube, etc.)

Eller drafted at 13th, Ian Cole at 18th and Perron at 26th

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What #1/#2 center is available for Guerin to go out and get? Guerin understands that the Wild don't have the pieces to legitimately contend for the Cup this year so he's positioning himself to have a lot of flexibility this off-season with cap space and lots of picks to make moves. Different story for the Avs since they are a team contending for the Cup this year. Let's think a little bit before posting rubbish like this.
Rubbish?. Pateryn was on an expiring, lesser AAV contract, and was a RHD, on a D corps that had 3 RHD and 4 LHD. Trading for Cole turns that D group into 5 LHD, 2RHD, and costs them cap space. Cole and Pateryn are similar players at this point, and in general, non factors in terms of the big picture on the ice.

Answer me, how does this trade position MN better in the off season?

" posting rubbish" ....strong language. Maybe check your facts. This trade does nothing for MN but cost them money and make them even more unbalanced from a handedness aspect. CO gets what they want in a lesser cap hit. Pateryn looks healthy this year, so he is a decent #6 RHD, if needed. The problem wi him the past year or so was that he was in and out of the lineup with an injury...sounds just like Cole.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal also has an expiring contract. Unless you think that Johansson will return more than Staal will, it still makes no sense.
And don't forget how we were told that Johansson was an able replacement at Center for Staal. How long did that last?

The value difference between Cole and Pateryn (once contracts are factored in) at the TDL is negligible. Cole might be better, but a RHD is usually more sought after. At this point we're probably talking about the difference between a 3rd and 4th rounder, at most.

This smacks of Guerin wanting " his boy" in the Wild dressing room.

Reactions: Mickey the mouse

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Rubbish?. Pateryn was on an expiring, lesser AAV contract, and was a RHD, on a D corps that had 3 RHD and 4 LHD. Trading for Cole turns that D group into 5 LHD, 2RHD, and costs them cap space. Cole and Pateryn are similar players at this point, and in general, non factors in terms of the big picture on the ice.

Answer me, how does this trade position MN better in the off season?

" posting rubbish" ....strong language. Maybe check your facts. This trade does nothing for MN but cost them money and make them even more unbalanced from a handedness aspect. CO gets what they want in a lesser cap hit. Pateryn looks healthy this year, so he is a decent #6 RHD, if needed. The problem wi him the past year or so was that he was in and out of the lineup with an injury...sounds just like Cole.
For a team not contending for a cup this year the Wild don't really care about money and they shouldn't. With Cole the Wild will most likely move Soucy to the right side where he's played some of his best games for the Wild so I'm not worried about that. The rubbish part was towards the "center" position comment for the Wild since they've tried to acquire them and none are really to be had at this time. Cole at the trade deadline has better potential return for the Wild than Pateryn does and that's not something you can even argue at this time.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
And don't forget how we were told that Johansson was an able replacement at Center for Staal. How long did that last?

The value difference between Cole and Pateryn (once contracts are factored in) at the TDL is negligible. Cole might be better, but a RHD is usually more sought after. At this point we're probably talking about the difference between a 3rd and 4th rounder, at most.

This smacks of Guerin wanting " his boy" in the Wild dressing room.

I think you should count in their perceived pedigree. Cole will undoubtedly carry more name recognition if he becomes available.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
For a team not contending for a cup this year the Wild don't really care about money and they shouldn't. With Cole the Wild will most likely move Soucy to the right side where he's played some of his best games for the Wild so I'm not worried about that. The rubbish part was towards the "center" position comment for the Wild since they've tried to acquire them and none are really to be had at this time. Cole at the trade deadline has better potential return for the Wild than Pateryn does and that's not something you can even argue at this time.
Teams are losing all kinds of money, personnel is being laid off because of it, yet money doesn't mean anything, especially when it benefits a divisional rival? Cole has been the Avs worst player this year according to some Avs fans, yet he is worth significantly more than Pateryn, who is a regular on an extremely strong D group in MN? There is no appreciable difference. Again, the logic of this being a move that takes up Guerin's attention at all is beyond mystifying. MN has started Victor Rask and Nick Bjugstad as their 1st line C's...well, I'll just leave that there, because it speaks for itself.

It's not a really terrible deal for MN, just nonsensical.

Reactions: Odie Cleghorn

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Teams are losing all kinds of money, personnel is being laid off because of it, yet money doesn't mean anything, especially when it benefits a divisional rival? Cole has been the Avs worst player this year according to some Avs fans, yet he is worth significantly more than Pateryn, who is a regular on an extremely strong D group in MN? There is no appreciable difference. Again, the logic of this being a move that takes up Guerin's attention at all is beyond mystifying. MN has started Victor Rask and Nick Bjugstad as their 1st line C's...well, I'll just leave that there, because it speaks for itself.

It's not a really terrible deal for MN, just nonsensical.
Again I'm not understanding how you folks can't see the Wild aren't contending for the cup this year. If the Wild were making a run for the CUP THIS YEAR then there centers wouldn't be who they have currently - our GM would have actually addressed this in the off-season or maybe he actually tried. Pateryn a regular for the Wild -- what team have you been watching. He played like 20 games for the Wild last year before getting hurt and does not look like the same player coming back from his injury. We're 3 games into the new season and a lot of players don't look good at all so I'm not worried about Cole lighting it up. Cole is a bottom 6 dman so i'm not really getting worked up about this trade.

I'm just getting tired of folks on this board bemoaning the Wild roster, complaining about what the GM is doing because we don't have legit #1/#2 centers and folks think the Wild fans don't understand that. Our GM is building for the future and in the CAP era rebuilding is harder than ever so we have to more or less re-tool on the fly and this off-season coming up will be a big big test for us. Most Wild fans understand we aren't contending this year and are hoping we solve the center position with the addition of Rossi and potentially this off-season coming up.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

This is the best draft-video I've ever seen. Was able to find it on the Blues home page many years after the draft.
That amateur scouting staff had two members who would become GM's; Kekäläinen and Armstrong. Iirc, Cole was ranked so low that he wasn't invited to the combine, but they were blown away with his physicality when they had a personal interview with him on the eve of the draft.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Screen-Shot-2020-07-31-at-10.11.46-AM.png

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm just getting tired of folks on this board bemoaning the Wild roster, complaining about what the GM is doing because we don't have legit #1/#2 centers and folks think the Wild fans don't understand that. Our GM is building for the future and in the CAP era rebuilding is harder than ever so we have to more or less re-tool on the fly and this off-season coming up will be a big big test for us. Most Wild fans understand we aren't contending this year and are hoping we solve the center position with the addition of Rossi and potentially this off-season coming up.
Maybe because Guerin traded the best center on the roster for a worse player with a higher cap hit and the same trade protection, who he then claimed would be playing center for the Wild, and has spent absolutely zero time there. And to top it all off, will almost certainly be worth less than Staal at the deadline, and will at most net us a 2nd round pick who will likely never even play for the Wild.

You can't re-tool a franchise with 2nd round picks who are 3-5 years away from contributing, if they make the team at all.

Reactions: 57special

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Maybe because Guerin traded the best center on the roster for a worse player with a higher cap hit and the same trade protection, who he then claimed would be playing center for the Wild, and has spent absolutely zero time there. And to top it all off, will almost certainly be worth less than Staal at the deadline, and will at most net us a 2nd round pick who will likely never even play for the Wild.

You can't re-tool a franchise with 2nd round picks who are 3-5 years away from contributing, if they make the team at all.
Staal was not going to be on this team after this year regardless and Staal prevented Guerin from being able to trade him to a contending team by putting them all on his 10 team no move list. I would also add that in my opinion Staal is no longer a #1 or #2 center. Sure he would be on the Wild because we don't have any centers but that doesn't make him a #1/#2 center.

I mean does it really matter if Staal was on this team instead of Johannson? Do you see the Wild as a cup contender if Staal was here? I didn't think so and neither did Guerin which is why he traded him and brought in someone who is faster and younger to change things up for THIS YEAR only. I don't expect the vets on the final year of their contracts to be back next year which opens up a lot of spots and cap space for the Wild to make some moves.

I would also say even with Staal on this team the Wild were not going to compete for the cup this year and Staal really started to show his age the last 1.5 yrs. You would know this if you watched him every game like most Wild fans. Am I happy this team doesn't have a #1/#2 center on this team - NO but I also am hopeful for next season and beyond. The Wild's future is brighter than it has been in years and honestly that's because of what Guerin has been able to do.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Avs D depth chart:
Makar
Toews
Girard
EJ
Graves
Timmins
Byram
Gilbert
Pateryn

Byram has a tough time cracking the lineup even without Cole. But now it's much easier.
That is far and away the best top 6 and best top 9 in the NHL. Wow. Avs be loaded in the back.

Reactions: milehigh11

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I can’t believe Sakic got rid of Cole. Figured we couldn’t even waive him successfully. That if we tired to waive, we’d have a Tyler Johnson situation on our hands. Instead Sakic wins another deal. Gets rid of an expensive and quickly deteriorating player for a cheaper RHD with size and some PK ability (Cole was dreadful as a PK defender). And we don’t have to healthy scratch a 4.25mm player. Much easier to play this new guy as needed.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can’t believe Sakic got rid of Cole. Figured we couldn’t even waive him successfully. That if we tired to waive, we’d have a Tyler Johnson situation on our hands. Instead Sakic wins another deal. Gets rid of an expensive and quickly deteriorating player for a cheaper RHD with size and some PK ability (Cole was dreadful as a PK defender). And we don’t have to healthy scratch a 4.25mm player. Much easier to play this new guy as needed.
See, this is the thing. Cole's role would be as a 3rd liner/PK guy on MN. He is not replacing Dumba, Spurgeon, or Suter on the PP. I completely get it for the Avs. This frees up cap for this year, which they will need. Pateryn looks to be fully healed, so if they need a defensive RHD with size to play some minutes for them that's another bonus.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Staal was not going to be on this team after this year regardless and Staal prevented Guerin from being able to trade him to a contending team by putting them all on his 10 team no move list. I would also add that in my opinion Staal is no longer a #1 or #2 center. Sure he would be on the Wild because we don't have any centers but that doesn't make him a #1/#2 center.
Johansson isn't going to be on the team after this year either. You don't know what teams are on Johansson's no-trade any more than you know who was on Staal's. Staal is better than any center on the Wild.

I mean does it really matter if Staal was on this team instead of Johannson? Do you see the Wild as a cup contender if Staal was here? I didn't think so and neither did Guerin which is why he traded him and brought in someone who is faster and younger to change things up for THIS YEAR only. I don't expect the vets on the final year of their contracts to be back next year which opens up a lot of spots and cap space for the Wild to make some moves.
To me it does matter, because I have nothing to better to do than watch the Wild. There is nothing else going on due to Covid. Am I supposed to watch the Wolves? They're even worse. Bjugstad has been so bad they dropped him down to the 4th line. Victor Rask is playing on our top line. The cap space was going to be there regardless, as Staal's contract is also expiring. So argument doesn't hold weight.

I would also say even with Staal on this team the Wild were not going to compete for the cup this year and Staal really started to show his age the last 1.5 yrs. You would know this if you watched him every game like most Wild fans. Am I happy this team doesn't have a #1/#2 center on this team - NO but I also am hopeful for next season and beyond. The Wild's future is brighter than it has been in years and honestly that's because of what Guerin has been able to do.
I know the Wild aren't contenders. I know Staal has showed his age. I know this because I watch them every game like most Wild fans. Johansson hasn't impressed me either, though. The Staal for Johansson trade is going to at best get us a 2nd round pick. To me, that isn't worth the drop-off in this year's performance. You're acting like Kaprizov and Rossi and a new goalie that isn't butt coming in have no chance in improving this team from last year. Just because they aren't as good as the Avs doesn't mean they couldn't beat them in a playoff series. Worse teams have beaten better teams.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
See, this is the thing. Cole's role would be as a 3rd liner/PK guy on MN. He is not replacing Dumba, Spurgeon, or Suter on the PP. I completely get it for the Avs. This frees up cap for this year, which they will need. Pateryn looks to be fully healed, so if they need a defensive RHD with size to play some minutes for them that's another bonus.
The problem for Minnesota is that Cole sucks at PK. He’s more of an offensive Dman. Decent passer, can skate it out. But he’s deficient in his own zone. And the lack of gap control is very problematic. Cole gave up a breakaway and two 2 on 1s in the games vs St. Louis. Just can’t have those mistakes.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, Pateryn is the opposite. If he's healthy(as he appears to be), then he is a boring defensive Dman. Can be beaten by speed. He's a bang it up the boards type guy offensively. Foot speed is not impressive, but knows how to position himself and can clear a crease.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Johansson isn't going to be on the team after this year either. You don't know what teams are on Johansson's no-trade any more than you know who was on Staal's. Staal is better than any center on the Wild.

To me it does matter, because I have nothing to better to do than watch the Wild. There is nothing else going on due to Covid. Am I supposed to watch the Wolves? They're even worse. Bjugstad has been so bad they dropped him down to the 4th line. Victor Rask is playing on our top line. The cap space was going to be there regardless, as Staal's contract is also expiring. So argument doesn't hold weight.

I know the Wild aren't contenders. I know Staal has showed his age. I know this because I watch them every game like most Wild fans. Johansson hasn't impressed me either, though. The Staal for Johansson trade is going to at best get us a 2nd round pick. To me, that isn't worth the drop-off in this year's performance. You're acting like Kaprizov and Rossi and a new goalie that isn't butt coming in have no chance in improving this team from last year. Just because they aren't as good as the Avs doesn't mean they couldn't beat them in a playoff series. Worse teams have beaten better teams.
Hockey is my fav sport and the Wild are my fav team to watch so yeah it bothers me that we're not competing for a cup. With how far Staal dropped off in speed and overall play I don't see his loss as anything critical to our growth along with getting rid of Koivu and Dubnyk. I do think the Wild have a chance to make the playoffs and actually I expect them to giving the division they are in. Do they have a chance to knockoff the Avs or Knights in a playoff series -- yeah I do and you know why --> DEFENSE. I still think Guerin is going to make a move again prior to the deadline to bring in a center of some sort to help balance out the lines. Bjusgtad has actually looked good on the 4th line with Hartman and Sturm and Rask is Rask man -- not sure what to say there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad