Confirmed Trade: [MIN/COL] Ian Cole for Greg Pateryn

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
This is the best draft-video I've ever seen. Was able to find it on the Blues home page many years after the draft.
That amateur scouting staff had two members who would become GM's; Kekäläinen and Armstrong. Iirc, Cole was ranked so low that he wasn't invited to the combine, but they were blown away with his physicality when they had a personal interview with him on the eve of the draft.

Was it the firm handshake that did it?

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Yeah, Pateryn is the opposite. If he's healthy(as he appears to be), then he is a boring defensive Dman. Can be beaten by speed. He's a bang it up the boards type guy offensively. Foot speed is not impressive, but knows how to position himself and can clear a crease.
I would agree to everything you said here about Pateryn except the last part about clearing the crease. He has not done that since playing for the Wild and since his injury looks to be a different player -- less willing to be as physical as he once was. Maybe in time he'll feel better about that but my sense is Guerin wanted more physicality in the lineup than what Pateryn was providing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought that Bjugstad has looked awful everywhere that he has played this year. I would far rather that Sturm got the minutes at C. I have been saddened to see how much slower Bjugstad looks. He actually used to be a good skater for a big man. Sturm can skate circles around him, has decent size himself, and is a much better defensive player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would agree to everything you said here about Pateryn except the last part about clearing the crease. He has not done that since playing for the Wild and since his injury looks to be a different player -- less willing to be as physical as he once was. Maybe in time he'll feel better about that but my sense is Guerin wanted more physicality in the lineup than what Pateryn was providing.
Yeah, I haven't liked him in the past year and a half, but he had core (probably hernia) issues. During this years camp and so far this year he has looked noticeably friskier, and a bit more physical. I think he has healed up after all this time off. Remember, he wasn't in the bubble, or at least pulled out of it....can't remember.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Yeah, I haven't liked him in the past year and a half, but he had core (probably hernia) issues. During this years camp and so far this year he has looked noticeably friskier, and a bit more physical. I think he has healed up after all this time off. Remember, he wasn't in the bubble, or at least pulled out of it....can't remember.
I really liked it when Pateryn signed with the Wild but I don't think he ever lived up to the style of play he was brought in for. I hope he does well with the Avs though and gets back to playing like he can. He's a good dude and I wish him the best.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I really liked it when Pateryn signed with the Wild but I don't think he ever lived up to the style of play he was brought in for. I hope he does well with the Avs though and gets back to playing like he can. He's a good dude and I wish him the best.

Honestly... I don't think he'll get much of a chance. Both Gilbert and Timmins have looked very solid so far, at best he'll be splitting one spot alongside Timmins + Gilbert. Our depth chart:

Toews - Makar
Graves - Girard
Byram - EJ
Gilbert - Timmins
Pateryn

Then priority for playing time is: Byram > Timmins > Gilbert > Pateryn.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
odd move for a cup contender, but i guess avs fans were right about despising cole in the line up. sakic has really tried to reshape their defense this year.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
odd move for a cup contender, but i guess avs fans were right about despising cole in the line up. sakic has really tried to reshape their defense this year.
They barely downgraded their 8th D and will stand to have 10mil in cap space at the deadline and if they waive Greg they could have 12+. There's nothing odd about it, it's brilliant, basically lets them go after Hall and more without worrying about the Cap.

Reactions: Richard88

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Cole only got playing time because he was a a vet. Out of the 8 defenseman we iced this year, he was the worst one. To be fair he did have to play against St. Louis whereas Gilbert got to play against LA, but that's about where the argument would end.

Reactions: S E P H

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Cole only got playing time because he was a a vet. Out of the 8 defenseman we iced this year, he was the worst one. To be fair he did have to play against St. Louis whereas Gilbert got to play against LA, but that's about where the argument would end.
i doubt that was the only reason cole played, as you're insinuating bednar doesn't have full control of his line up if so, but i take your point he was the least preferred by avs fans and the team clearly felt they should change the defense by moving him out of it. i'm more commenting on a cup contender, derailed by injuries last year, moving nhl experience / playoff experience depth off their roster for a marginally worse player with almost no playoff experience in his career. it's not what you'd expect, so i called it odd. perhaps the cap space was more valuable.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
i doubt that was the only reason cole played, as you're insinuating bednar doesn't have full control of his line up if so, but i take your point he was the least preferred by avs fans and the team clearly felt they should change the defense by moving him out of it. i'm more commenting on a cup contender, derailed by injuries last year, moving nhl experience / playoff experience depth off their roster for a marginally worse player with almost no playoff experience in his career. it's not what you'd expect, so i called it odd. perhaps the cap space was more valuable.
The only reason he featured is because EJ and Byram were in quarantine. He would've been a scratch if not for that.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Cole played because he's higher on the hierarchy list due to being a vet and having a chance to prove he could still be a positive contributor on the Avs. Bednar has full control, but any coach is going to give a vet the benefit of the doubt. Playoff experience is also a bit overrated at this point, the Avs have been a game away from the WCF twice now, they have enough playoff experience under their belt to know what the expect. Plus they acquired Saad and Toews who have plenty of playoff experience if they make it further.

If we didn't have better depth defenders I would agree with you, or if this was last year i'd also agree with you. But we have a healthy Timmins, Byram, Gilbert who are all younger and better for our depth. Last year our depth chart was:

Graves - Makar
Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Cole
Timmins
Connauton
Lindholm

With 4 players that are capable of playing top 4 minutes and 6 players that should be in the NHL (didn't include Timmins due to lack of pro games experience).

This year our depth chart is:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Graves
Byram - EJ
Gilbert - Timmins
Pateryn

With 5-7 players capable of playing top 4 minutes (depending on how Timmins and Byram develop, but most likely 5) and 7-9 players that deserve to be playing in the NHL (jury is still out for Gilbert and Pateryn).

Reactions: Richard88

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
its odd but there is a lot of time to fix it if it doesnt work out. and i also dont think its barely a downgrade they are trading a starter for someone id be shocked sees any real ice time.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, Pateryn is the opposite. If he's healthy(as he appears to be), then he is a boring defensive Dman. Can be beaten by speed. He's a bang it up the boards type guy offensively. Foot speed is not impressive, but knows how to position himself and can clear a crease.

That's all we need. Cole isn't bad at that himself and is a great shot blocker.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

It definitely for the cap space and also trading a left d for right. Byram needs ice time this season and even Gilbert deserves a chance too. On the right side; Timmins and EJ are made of glass so needed a right dman just in case.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Maybe because Guerin traded the best center on the roster for a worse player with a higher cap hit and the same trade protection, who he then claimed would be playing center for the Wild, and has spent absolutely zero time there. And to top it all off, will almost certainly be worth less than Staal at the deadline, and will at most net us a 2nd round pick who will likely never even play for the Wild.

You can't re-tool a franchise with 2nd round picks who are 3-5 years away from contributing, if they make the team at all.
Staal and Johansson do not have the same trade protection. Johansson had none he can be traded to anyone where staal had ten teams he could block. That is the difference you’re not understanding.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It looks great on the home set. The away jerseys though.... yikes.

It reminds me of playing as a kid and everybody’s pants, gloves, and helmets were just whatever color their parents wanted to buy, and it never matched the jerseys.

Cole definitely dodged a bullet on that one.

Kind of sad they had to trade him just to prevent the coach from playing him.

I don’t think Sakic went Billy Beane on him. I think everyone was just aware that Timmins is playing well, EJ is ready to go, and Byram will be in the lineup by the end of the week. There are only 6 spots.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
And don't forget how we were told that Johansson was an able replacement at Center for Staal. How long did that last?

The value difference between Cole and Pateryn (once contracts are factored in) at the TDL is negligible. Cole might be better, but a RHD is usually more sought after. At this point we're probably talking about the difference between a 3rd and 4th rounder, at most.

This smacks of Guerin wanting " his boy" in the Wild dressing room.

That's exactly what this is. That roster is going to see a lot of turnover this season and have some younger guys coming in, so Guerin is probably thinking that Cole can help create a good team culture.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Bednar spoke today about how Pateryn will bring more physicality and "nastiness" than Cole did, which is a reason why they acquired him. So Avs want more physicality, and Wild want more physicality... I wonder who wins that physicality battle haha

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
That's exactly what this is. That roster is going to see a lot of turnover this season and have some younger guys coming in, so Guerin is probably thinking that Cole can help create a good team culture.

Further to that, Guerin himself even said exactly that himself:

Cole traded to Wild by Avalanche for Pateryn

"Ian is a guy I know well from again my Pittsburgh days and somebody that I trust on the ice," said Wild general manager Bill Guerin, who was assistant GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins from 2014-19. "I like the way he carries himself. And when (Avalanche GM) Joe [Sakic] told me he'd be available, we worked on it quickly and we got something done."

Guerin said Cole's championship experience can be valuable for Minnesota, as is the fact that forward Nick Bonino also was on those two Cup-winning teams in Pittsburgh. The Wild acquired Bonino in a trade from the Nashville Predators on Oct. 7.

"It is a different experience, and one that, if we have guys that have been there before, and have accomplished that, it can only help," Guerin said. "Ian was an integral part of those wins, as was Bonino. They are guys that have great value and have a lot to offer and I have a ton of respect for that."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad