Confirmed Trade: [MIN/COL] Ian Cole for Greg Pateryn

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Bednar spoke today about how Pateryn will bring more physicality and "nastiness" than Cole did, which is a reason why they acquired him. So Avs want more physicality, and Wild want more physicality... I wonder who wins that physicality battle haha
Wow - picking up Pateryn to provide more physicality actually makes me laugh as he's no longer that guy and if you don't believe look back over the Wild games where he actually played to see what I'm talking about. The Wild acquired Pateryn for that specific role and I don't think he ever lived up to that billing which is too bad because he seems like a good dude.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Wow - picking up Pateryn to provide more physicality actually makes me laugh as he's no longer that guy and if you don't believe look back over the Wild games where he actually played to see what I'm talking about. The Wild acquired Pateryn for that specific role and I don't think he ever lived up to that billing which is too bad because he seems like a good dude.
Whether he's great or not it's not really that important anyways. He's going to be 8th or 9th on our defensive depth chart so he won't be in the lineup very often. And on occasions that he is he'll only play like 8-10 mins on PK2. No big deal. Avs might even waive him to be able to taxi squad him and save another $1m in capspace, or $2.25m if he gets claimed by someone.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why was Cole horrible? He was very good analytically despite being his usual awful penalty taking self?
This isn’t Ian Cole who successfully help the Pens to back-to-back championships. This is current Ian Cole of bilateral hip surgery. I am not sure he’s even a top-pairing AHL defenceman at this point in time.

Reactions: Linds and McJedi

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Honestly, if I hadn't read this thread, this trade would probably have gone down without me noticing at all. I'd just have wondered at some point who the clown with the new number on the ice was.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Cole is apparently a good dude too, but his analytics show you he’s terrible on the PK and clear the crease is no longer in his list of to do’s. Chip it off the glass and out is still in his skill set. So is shot blocking. But that’s about it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's exactly what this is. That roster is going to see a lot of turnover this season and have some younger guys coming in, so Guerin is probably thinking that Cole can help create a good team culture.
I was thinking more that he wants a snitch in the dressing room, but your version sounds much nicer. Wonder who's right, though? Cole's contract is expiring, Wild have all sorts of D prospects and three LHD ahead of him as is. Surely Guerin doesn't think that the reason that MN is not a Cup contender is that their attitude in the dressing room is bad? They've been alternating Bjugstad and Rask at #1C, FFS.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Honestly, if I hadn't read this thread, this trade would probably have gone down without me noticing at all. I'd just have wondered at some point who the clown with the new number on the ice was.
The beards are the tip off.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I was thinking more that he wants a snitch in the dressing room, but your version sounds much nicer. Wonder who's right, though? Cole's contract is expiring, Wild have all sorts of D prospects and three LHD ahead of him as is. Surely Guerin doesn't think that the reason that MN is not a Cup contender is that their attitude in the dressing room is bad? They've been alternating Bjugstad and Rask at #1C, FFS.
I don't think Guerin has any illusions of Minnesota being cup contenders, far from it.

There might be an element of wanting a snitch in the room, but adding a veteran who's a consummate professional and hard worker off the ice to the room will also help to create accountability and help the team eliminate some bad habits off the ice. Keep in mind that Guerin shipped out some veterans this offseason, like Eric Staal, and that may have created something of a void in leadership.

Guerin might also want to resign Cole to an extension this offseason if he plays well enough (though obviously at a much lower caphit), so it might not be just a shortsighted move.

Also consider that Cole went from Pittsburgh to a young bubble team in Colorado 2 years ago, and seemingly had a good impact given how the team and Dmen have developed (though that's not obviously all down to him of course). So Guerin might be thinking that he's a guy who not only has experience of winning cups, but also has experience of helping a young bubble team take the next step.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Guerin signed Brodin to a 7 year contract with a NMC, already has Suter signed long term with an NMC, and signed a 25 yo Soucy to a 3 year contract. Hunt is 6/7/PP D. All are LHD. You can see how Cole doesn't really fit in the long term, as well as the short term.

They also have some nice LHD prospects in Ryan O'Rourke and Daemon Hunt. They will take a while before they are ready, but with what we have on D right now, that's not a problem. I'm sticking with my snitch theory.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This trade pushed Minnesota's already top 5 defense into the top 3. Cole has stabilized Minnesota's 3rd pairing and gives them a lot of depth. A rare rival team win win trade.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
I still get slight guenin PTSD from watching pateryn play (mostly because of the number, partially because of skill level)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Top 3 defense? Hmmm...interesting take IMO.

Minnesota has three top pairing defensemen, maybe four. Suter - Spurgeon is definitely a top pairing defense, and so is Brodin - Dumba. Soucy and Cole could be a decent top 4 pairing. Now to mention, they have some depth behind them outside of Hunt.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Minnesota has three top pairing defensemen, maybe four. Suter - Spurgeon is definitely a top pairing defense, and so is Brodin - Dumba. Soucy and Cole could be a decent top 4 pairing. Now to mention, they have some depth behind them outside of Hunt.
Sounds like someone hasn't watched Cole play the last 12 months :laugh:

Cole is undoubtedly an upgrade on Pateryn, but to expect him to be anything more than a 6D is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thankfully for the Wild they won't need to see Cole in the top 4 very often unless there's injuries so that won't be an issue.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Nah. If Cole is in your top 4, you’ve got a bad defense. He’s a fine 6/7 though assuming you’ve got the cap space for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->