Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder how Staal feels, I always felt he gave Minnesota the "hometown" discount(given that Minneapolis is the closest team in the NHL to Thunder Bay)

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
Both players also had no trade clauses as well. Staal probably is familiar with Kevyn Adams and Jeff Skinner.

this deal fills multiple needs for Buffalo, not just for a middle six C, but veteran leadership and a front of the net presence both are sorely lacking in Buffalos roster, he also buys time for Dylan Cozens and maybe they take another C in the staff.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Both players also had no trade clauses as well. Staal probably is familiar with Kevyn Adams and Jeff Skinner.

this deal fills multiple needs for Buffalo, not just for a middle six C, but veteran leadership and a front of the net presence both are sorely lacking in Buffalos roster, he also buys time for Dylan Cozens and maybe they take another C in the staff.
He didn’t waive. It was a MNTC. He had a 10-team no trade list. Buffalo just wasn’t on that list.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
Both players also had no trade clauses as well. Staal probably waived to be closer to home and is familiar with Kevyn Adams and Jeff Skinner.

Buffalo was not on Staal's 10 team No trade list and Minnesota was not on Johansson's. Also Staal lives in Edina Minnesota and was born in Thunder Bay Ontario so yeah Buffalo is much farther from home.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Buffalo was not on Staal's 10 team No trade list and Minnesota was not on Johansson's. Also Staal lives in Edina Minnesota and was born in Thunder Bay Ontario so yeah Buffalo is much farther from home.

Sort of yes and no which is closer. By car Minneapolis is way closer(roughly 6 1/2 - 7 hours compared to 16-18 to Buffalo) but if you taking a flight, no direct flights to Minneapolis but in Buffalo if you drive to Toronto they have like 5 flights a day coming here(so in theory you could do it in 4-5 hours when you factor in crossing the border and showing up early to the airport).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal has at least three growing boys who are playing hockey here in a MN hockey hotbed, and has made no secret about how much he enjoys flooding his backyard rink and going skating with them. I think he also has a place up in northern MN nearer Thunder Bay. One of the reasons he signed for cheap here was because he didn't want to move any more. I can't imagine he is thrilled with this trade, and the downside of his very small salary for the teams involved is that he loses very little if decides not to report.

He's a borderline HOF'er who has been nothing but class here in MN, despite having to deal with 3 different GM's. If he was going to be moved in a trade, you would think that Guerin would consult him first, and give him a chance to weigh in on where he'd like to go. It certainly can't be Buffalo, that has zero chance of winning a Cup, and is a place that he has no connection to.

Dick move by Guerin, IMO. The guy played in almost every game in the years he was here, WAY outperformed his contracts (tied Gaborik's team record for goals, 42), and never said or did anything remotely controversial.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
The NHL will absolutely have a 24 team playoff team next year. Either because it’s a Covid short season again or it’s an expanded for much needed gate revenue. What a fantastic trade for the Sabres!
oh so you know this already before this season is over?

way to cover up a very stupid statement with just with another assumed hypothetical that nobody has talked about yet, like at all from the nhl...

wipe the egg off your face

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Staal has at least three growing boys who are playing hockey here in a MN hockey hotbed, and has made no secret about how much he enjoys flooding his backyard rink and going skating with them. One of the reasons he signed for cheap here was because he didn't want to move any more. I can't imagine he is thrilled with this trade, and the downside of his very small salary for the teams involved is that he loses very little if decides not to report.

He's a borderline HOF'er who has been nothing but class here in MN, despite having to deal with 3 different GM's. If he was going to be moved in a trade, you would think that Guerin would consult him first, and give him a chance to weigh in on where he'd like to go. It certainly can't be Buffalo, that has zero chance of winning a Cup, and is a place that he has no connection to.

Dick move by Guerin, IMO.

If Staal hated the idea of playing for Buffalo that much, he could've put us on his no-trade list.

Reactions: seagull

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Staal hated the idea of playing for Buffalo that much, he could've put us on his no-trade list.
It's only a 10 team list. I'd be surprised if he actually retired, but it'll be interesting to see how Staal responds to this. For all the talk about how much he loves Minnesota he wasn't exactly looking peppy last year.

Reactions: seagull

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Staal has at least three growing boys who are playing hockey here in a MN hockey hotbed, and has made no secret about how much he enjoys flooding his backyard rink and going skating with them. I think he also has a place up in northern MN nearer Thunder Bay. One of the reasons he signed for cheap here was because he didn't want to move any more. I can't imagine he is thrilled with this trade, and the downside of his very small salary for the teams involved is that he loses very little if decides not to report.

Dick move by Guerin, IMO. The guy played in almost every game in the years he was here, WAY outperformed his contracts (tied Gaborik's team record for goals, 42), and never said or did anything remotely controversial.

you know that Staal had no say on if he wanted to be traded or not or are you just guessing minnys GM made a dick move?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal has nothing against Buffalo specifically. Just doesn't want to move his family anymore, and wanted to be as close as possible to his grandparents in Thunder Bay. He took a very team friendly deal in order to make it easy on the team to have him around.

@GM Armchair Yeah, Staal was completely surprised by this. It's pretty normal for GM's to consult with aging vets on where they'd like to go, or if they'd like to go somewhere. He did last spring with Koivu and Parise(NYI). I don't know if there is some history between Guerin and Staal from back when they played against each other, or what, but to ship him out for Marcus Johansson, and to lose cap space for the privilege is inexplicable.

Last edited:

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Dick move by Guerin, IMO.
It does seem like a dick move by Guerin. It's not even like Minnesota has some up and coming players that were challenging Staal for a roster spot. Guerin just decided he wanted a faster team and old slow Staal isn't going to be on it, so he made a dumb trade to get rid of him.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020

but at the same time, he waived his NTC for Buffalo. But my only guess as to why is because of his respect and relationship with Kevyn Adams, other thak that it’s a head scratcher for why minny would do it and why Staal would waive

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Staal has nothing against Buffalo specifically. Just doesn't want to move his family anymore, and wanted to be as close as possible to his grandparents in Thunder Bay. He took a very team friendly deal in order to make it easy on the team to have him around.

@GM Armchair Yeah, Staal was completely surprised by this. It's pretty normal for GM's to consult with aging vets on where they'd like to go, or if they'd like to go somewhere. He did last spring with Koivu and Parise(NYI). I don't know if there is some history between Guerin and Staal from back when they played against each other, or what, but to ship him out for Marcus Johansson, and to lose cap space for the privilege is inexplicable.

you have the quote from Staal saying he was shocked or you going off of some random twitter quote

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I wonder how Staal feels, I always felt he gave Minnesota the "hometown" discount(given that Minneapolis is the closest team in the NHL to Thunder Bay)

Staal played with Sabres gm Kevyn Adams in Carolina. Buffalo wasn’t on his NTL.

I think Minnesota did this because Staal and Koivu were penciled in the same role. Koivu could be signed for less.

He might have wanted MoJo in LW/C because it was just one yr to bridge to some of the younger players.

There might have been more talk here in a larger trade that could wait till the draft or later.

If STAAL RETIRED my understanding that his cap hit becomes dead space. Buffalo might want him in a player/coach role where if he was to retire they’d still want him around to work with their young centers. To buffalo it would be dead cap space which is fine.

I think buffalo still acquires another player who could play center ( Stepan maybe).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Both of those guys had full NMCs. There was no choice but to bring them into the conversation.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Agreed. Carolina or even another try in New York, I could understand. This is not the respect he's earned. Where was Minnesota's ownership on this, which unlike management, hasn't changed?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The only thing that might make sense to this trade for the Wild, is Dean Evason was an Assistant Coach for Boudreau with the Caps, years back. Mojo was on those Caps teams back then. So maybe there is something that Dean Evason likes about Mojo. When healthy, Mojo can still be effective on the 3rd line, fill-in on the 2nd line and have use on PP, in a 1-3-1 formation.

Also, a 29 year old UFA is easier to re-sign if they are looking to do multi-years as opposed to re-signing a 36 year old UFA that will most likely be hitting his dog years. I can also tell you that Mojo is a faster skater than Staal. Maybe the Wild want to become a faster team and Mojo helps in that direction? As other ppl pointed out, Staal gives the Sabres center help and take some pressure off Eichel.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo reported that he was not expecting it. We'll see. He's a good beat reporter and will give us the details by tomorrow, I'm guessing, if not sooner. Not sure what he is podcasting.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
you have the quote from Staal saying he was shocked or you going off of some random twitter quote
Haven't seen any quotes from Staal at all. Which actually says a lot cause you usually get standard hockey guy quotes how they're excited to play for their new team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad