Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
It's from Russo, who's probably got about 12 people within spitting distance of Staal on his contact list.
His quote was is stating “said to be stunned”. Not a quote from Staal saying “I am stunned that I was not informed of a trade”

There could have been other teams lined up to get staal and staal is “stunned” that it was buffalo

kind of guessing what “said to be stunned” means

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know him, and he's certainly not within spitting distance, but he lives pretty close to me. Family seems to be pretty settled here, and at the age that you hate to move them if you don't have to. Again, he's got nothing against Buffalo, just doesn't want to move his family, especially in a shortened, Covid influenced year. He's made plenty of $$$ in his career. Don't think he needs another 3M.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Russo reported that he was not expecting it. We'll see. He's a good beat reporter and will give us the details by tomorrow, I'm guessing, if not sooner. Not sure what he is podcasting.
All he reported was “said to be stunned” which can mean a lot of things. To jump to conclusions that the GM is an outright A-Hole and mistreated staal is kind of jumping the gun no?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
His quote was is stating “said to be stunned”. Not a quote from Staal saying “I am stunned that I was not informed of a trade”

There could have been other teams lined up to get staal and staal is “stunned” that it was buffalo

kind of guessing what “said to be stunned” means

If you try really hard you can read that a number of ways, but I think the simplest is that Staal had no idea any trade was coming until about 4:45 this afternoon.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Not going to subject myself to 14 pages of "analysis" on this one but I think Guerin's just gutting veterans where he can. He tried with Parise already, but it fell through at the last minute. Koivu's out and Staal was the only old guy that had much wiggle room for a trade. If rumors of him retiring really are rampant among GMs I get why that wasn't all that easy.

Johansson's underwhelming but he's an okay utility player, and 5 years younger. Guerin talking about how Johansson's a center and needing to get Rask more minutes reeks of posturing. The real shoe has yet to drop and that's the one that counts.

Appreciate the reply.

So it's now draft a good C prospect at 9th, who could be ready in 1-2 years time and then trade Dumba.
MJ or Bjugstad are the stopgap C for 9th.
I heard the guys on Hockey Central up here in Canada today throwing around the idea of Malkin on the move. :popcorn:
They were joking that Guerin's phone is hot right now.

Don't know what that looks like trade wise though.
Dumba would be the main piece I'd assume?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
This trade is really surprising to me. Staal was on the final year of his contract past season and Wild management asked him if he wanted to chase a cup. Staal said he didn’t want to move, so rather than trade him as a rental, they signed him to a 2-year extension at a cheaper price.

I understand that it was Paul Fenton who signed him so there is not as big of a connection with Guerin. It still seems weird though.

Guerin also went on to say that “we have to try some different paths here and be creative, so Johanssen will play center here.” Which seems bad to me.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019

If you try really hard you can read that a number of ways, but I think the simplest is that Staal had no idea any trade was coming until about 4:45 this afternoon.

I think the easiest way to read it is the way you already decided in your head

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Appreciate the reply.

So it's now draft a good C prospect at 9th, who could be ready in 1-2 years time and then trade Dumba.
MJ or Bjugstad are the stopgap C for 9th.
I heard the guys on Hockey Central up here in Canada today throwing around the idea of Malkin on the move. :popcorn:
They were joking that Guerin's phone is hot right now.

Don't know what that looks like trade wise though.
Dumba would be the main piece I'd assume?
He won't trade for Malkin. I think a major part of what he's doing right now is clearing the old guy smell out of the locker room. The fact that he's publicly touting his current center depth as including Johansson and a more prominent role for Victor Rask might just be aimed squarely at Zach Parise's NMC. Or maybe I'm just daydreaming.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I feel like Staal could have gotten a 1st at the draft, but certainly by the deadline. He’s a solid second line center for $3.25M. He’d be the best center in free agency right? Not even sure there’s a third line C, let alone Top six one.

Does this mean Minnesota specifically targeted Johansson?

Also, I consistently like the moves Buffalo makes, but they never work out. Hopefully this one does, I’d like to see Eichel in the playoffs.

Reactions: qqaz

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He won't trade for Malkin. I think a major part of what he's doing right now is clearing the old guy smell out of the locker room. The fact that he's publicly touting his current center depth as including Johansson and a more prominent role for Victor Rask might just be aimed squarely at Zach Parise's NMC. Or maybe I'm just daydreaming.

Where would Parise go though with NYI (one of the teams he'd waive for) needing cap space to re-sign some big names?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
That Guerin sees Johansson as a center - when he's been tried there and clearly not played as well there by other organizations and that he also wants to create space for Rask to have a prominent role...these are concerning comments. I'm sure he also sees Bjugstad being a mainstay when he has zero track record of staying healthy and has underwhelmed his entire career when he has been healthy. At least that move cost nothing.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I have a Koivu and Staal in same role. Staal traded and Koivu signed cheaper

Thrn theyhave E-EK as one center and they trade dumba for another.
Word is that Guerin told Koivu he wasn't coming back in exit interviews last year. The team hasn't said anything publicly because Koivu hasn't.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Haven't seen any quotes from Staal at all. Which actually says a lot cause you usually get standard hockey guy quotes how they're excited to play for their new team.

I mean usually not like three hours after the story broke...at like dinnertime.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Seemed to be enlightening us about Minnie's future all over the Brodin thread and how Guerin wasn't just throwing things around hoping they stuck...
Guerin making a bad trade of Eric Staal doesn't make your takes about Jonas Brodin any less terrible. Get over yourself

Reactions: BlackBusa24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->