Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
This is savage. Buffalo gets cheaper and better.

Seems like keeping Staal and trading him for picks at the next deadline would have been a pretty easy win. This is so bad for Minnesota.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
"Don't worry, MN. We have Victor Rask!"

Who does Guerin think he is fooling with this? He seems to be trying to make Evason partially responsible for the trade, too, saying how much he liked Johansson when he was coaching in WAS.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I feel like Staal could have gotten a 1st at the draft, but certainly by the deadline. He’s a solid second line center for $3.25M. He’d be the best center in free agency right? Not even sure there’s a third line C, let alone Top six one.

Does this mean Minnesota specifically targeted Johansson?

Also, I consistently like the moves Buffalo makes, but they never work out. Hopefully this one does, I’d like to see Eichel in the playoffs.
I think GMs around the league are afraid he’d retire

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
Another interesting aspect to this deal which I haven’t seen discussed much is the fact that not only will Staal being the 2C next year help ease Cozens in to the nhl lineup but it also reunites him with Jeff skinner whom he played with in Carolina for 6 seasons. It was a long time ago yes but skinner played the best hockey of his career (minus his first season in buffalo) with Staal in Carolina.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
For me, at the end of the day.... it's a very good low key deal for Buffalo. They got the better player, they fill a huge need at center, they opened up a little bit of cap space, they bought more time for cozens/mittelstadt/asplund to develop and compete for NHL ice rather than thrusting them into a role they aren't ready for and last and honestly one of the most important but usually ignored by fans and especially HF'ers, the leadership, veteran presence and possible huge positive effect a guy like staal could have in the locker room and creating a positive atmosphere, it's well noted the atmosphere in the room was a ****show for the past 5+ seasons and it's tough to win when you go out every night knowing the guy next to you isn't gonna play for you or care to do the extra little things it takes to consistently win hockey games, i mean we've all heard the comments, especially O'reillys and scandellas on their ways out of town. It also makes sense considering the Sabres new GM won a cup with and probably knows Staal very well.

Reactions: White Death 24

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Think twice before hiring from the Rutherford GM tree.
Penguins, Jim Rutherford’s GM Tree is Set to Grow Again
Rutherford’s philosophy is easily summed up with his words to Guerin, whom the Minnesota Wild named GM last August, as relayed by Guerin.

“Billy, never try to win a trade. Don’t try to screw the other guy over. Make a fair trade, and you’ll get more deals done,” Guerin said Rutherford told him.

Botterill got the same advice. This is karmic. I think Fitzgerald got out in time.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Think twice before hiring from the Rutherford GM tree.
Penguins, Jim Rutherford’s GM Tree is Set to Grow Again
Rutherford’s philosophy is easily summed up with his words to Guerin, whom the Minnesota Wild named GM last August, as relayed by Guerin.

“Billy, never try to win a trade. Don’t try to screw the other guy over. Make a fair trade, and you’ll get more deals done,” Guerin said Rutherford told him.

Botterill got the same advice. This is karmic. I think Fitzgerald got out in time.
Yeah, this has JR written all over it, and under the circumstances THAT'S a very bad thing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad