Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Like the deal for the Sabres. They finally get a 2C that could likely be penciled in for 50pts while giving Dylan Cozens time to develop.

Victor Oloffson-Jack Eichel-Sam Reinhart
Jeff Skinner-Eric Staal-Dylan Cozens

Reactions: Team Cozens

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If there's any validity to "Staal retiring if traded" rumor, then it sounds a lot less terrible and more like 2 gms finding a way to save cap together.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
It's a nice deal.

I just don't think it's a great deal. We'll see, feel free to rub it in my face if the Sabres make the playoffs.

It can still be a very nice deal, and not put the Sabres in the playoffs. There is obviously more work to be done.

I will remind you if they do though.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Not a bad trade at all for the Wild.

As was mentioned already, they got a younger guy who can play any forward position (granted, C doesn't seem to be his strong suit), and since they both are on expiring contracts, and the Wild seem to be doing "auditions" for what they will try to build moving forward, this seems reasonable enough.

I completely agree that on the whole, Staal has had the better career and is still quite serviceable even now.....but he isn't, at age 35, in the Wild's long term plans.
So in come guys like Bjugstad (who Minny basically got for nothing) and Johansson to see if they can pick themselves up in an upcoming season where not a whole lot is expected from the Wild, and if they fail, then the Wild simply wave "bye bye" and continue on with their younger guys or looking elsewhere for veteran help.

For Buffalo, they will be getting a still-solid center who can take a bit of the heat off Jack Eichel either as a 2C or 3C. That will depend upon if any younger Buffalo center can take hold of the 2C spot or not.
His numbers are declining, but don't count out one last burst out of him, especially in a contract year if he intends to keep playing after, after finding himself on a new team that wants to make it to the post season.

Besides, other than Buf's top line, the forwards are very heavily offensively challenged, so any help....anything Staal can give them..... would be extremely helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
I don’t get the hate for this trade at all. Mojo is a great puck possesion guy. Will transition pucks up ice and create a lot of successful zone entries. Staal is an awful skater and is 36. He could fall off at any point and it could happen very quickly. Lets not forget how he looked before he went to Minnesota.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Remotely close? They played Montreal the next night before hockey stopped L, were only 2 points back and had 2 games in hand. Do some checking before you type crap.
wait, wut? they were 13, THIRTEEN points back of 8th when hockey stopped

columbus (81 pts), buffalo (68 pts)

81-68=13

don't let facts get in the way of a good argument

do some checking before you type utter nonsensical crap

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Staal is better but also 6 years older...I understand this trade for both teams. Buffalo gets a 1-2 stop gap while they wait for Cozens. Minnesota gets younger player who they think they can probably resign long term. Very good friends with Brodin and Rask.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Crap, by this logic we can get Dumba for Laughton. Come on Fletcher, make it happen

In all seriousness, I feel for you wold fans. This just doesn't make much sense

Reactions: Curufinwe

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
They're both expiring UFAs so it's not like either team has a lot to lose from this deal. But in a vacuum this weakens Minnesota's depth for next season. Makes me think they're trying to prep for the future rather than push for the playoffs next year.

As for Buffalo, personally, I hope Staal gives them the push they need to at least get out of the league's basement.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
@Bazeek @AKL

Help me figure this one out? Staal to Bjugstad is downgrading from a decent 2C/low end 1C to a middle 6 C/RW
Not going to subject myself to 14 pages of "analysis" on this one but I think Guerin's just gutting veterans where he can. He tried with Parise already, but it fell through at the last minute. Koivu's out and Staal was the only old guy that had much wiggle room for a trade. If rumors of him retiring really are rampant among GMs I get why that wasn't all that easy.

Johansson's underwhelming but he's an okay utility player, and 5 years younger. Guerin talking about how Johansson's a center and needing to get Rask more minutes reeks of posturing. The real shoe has yet to drop and that's the one that counts.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is horrendous for MN. Johansson is an oft injured, middle six winger. MN is awash in wingers. Fiala, Kaprizov, Zuccarrello, Parise, Foligno, Hartman, Kunin, Greenway, Donato, now Johansson, nvm that two of our best prospects, Boldy and Beckman, are wings. Our C's are JEE, Sturm(10 gp in the NHL?), Victor Rask who was benched most of last year, and Bjugstad, who is an oft injured cap dump. So MJo is a C now? Sure.

What a train wreck.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
wait, wut? they were 13, THIRTEEN points back of 8th when hockey stopped

columbus (81 pts), buffalo (68 pts)

81-68=13

don't let facts get in the way of a good argument

do some checking before you type utter nonsensical crap
The NHL will absolutely have a 24 team playoff team next year. Either because it’s a Covid short season again or it’s an expanded for much needed gate revenue. What a fantastic trade for the Sabres!

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
They're both expiring UFAs so it's not like either team has a lot to lose from this deal. But in a vacuum this weakens Minnesota's depth for next season. Makes me think they're trying to prep for the future rather than push for the playoffs next year.

As for Buffalo, personally, I hope Staal gives them the push they need to at least get out of the league's basement.

I am going to guess staal will be a better fit than MoJo was. Might even help give skinner a boost again. Could be a bigger win for the sabres than it shows right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad